PDA

View Full Version : Dawg Picks

Coy Wylie
Feb-09-2004, 9:44pm
Since I started playing mandolin, I've become quite the pick connoisseur, sampling many and chaning every few days. Picks were never so important in my guitar playing. Yet on mando I can feel and hear the difference from pick to pick.

But I digress... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I saw in the classifieds where Greg Boyd has a new shipment of the Dawg picks so I ordered a half-dozen for $6.95 including shipping. I just wanted to draw attention to their availablity again.

evanreilly
Feb-10-2004, 8:34pm
Is there any obvious, noticable difference between the 'new' Dawg picks & the originals. same size & specs?? the originals came in black, white & ts I believe.

GaryPrice
Feb-14-2004, 11:24pm
Are Dawgs and Golden Gates essentially the same?

mandoJeremy
Feb-14-2004, 11:37pm
Hold it Evan and Gary, the original (probaly 2 years old) Dawg picks are NOT the same as the original David Grisman signature picks. The original David Grisman picks are very, very close to the Golden Gate's and the GG didn't become GG's until the Grisman pick was discontinued. The David Grisman picks were originally offered in White, Black, Clown Puke, and Tortoise Shell colored. The turtle colored ones always sounded best and I don't know why except for the difference in polymers. I still have some of the Black and White ones (reason in itself for racial diversity!) but they don't sound as good as the TS ones and I guess that is why they released the DAWG pick in TS color. No, Dawgs and Golden Gates are not the same at all.

Coy Wylie
Feb-15-2004, 12:08am
I've got a half dozen of the tortoise type new Dawgs on the way. I've never played with the old ones. I hope they are not like GG's as I don't care for the tone they produce. I post back when I get them.

Michael H Geimer
Feb-15-2004, 11:54am
" Are Dawgs and Golden Gates essentially the same? "

They're definately not the same. The GG's are apparently the original Grisman signature picks; I have an old signature one, and they are bascially the same size and weight, but the Grisman is a little different color. W

The Dawg picks are just a tad thicker than the GG, and are a little darker sounding. (All to my ear, at least) They may not be the same, but they are certainly 'of the same breed'.

I am curious myself if the 'new' Dawgs are actually the same as before, but then again ... it just gets too obsessive for me after a certain point. After all, how many differnt incarnations of plectrum has the Dawg sponsored over the years? Isn't this #4? Gosh, make up yer mind, Dave! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

evanreilly
Feb-16-2004, 12:19am
Jeezz.... I must have missed the original DG pick in Clown Barf. Have the other three versions. No complete set here.

mandoJeremy
Feb-16-2004, 2:03pm
Hey Evan, to be honest I have never seen one of the clown barf Grisman picks except for pictures. I don't know if they were available in the original run of Grisman picks or not. I have heard guys on here say that you could still special order the Grisman picks but I don't know that for sure and that might be how people got a hold of Grisman clown barf picks. Who knows?

Dru Lee Parsec
Feb-17-2004, 11:43am
Are Dawgs and Golden Gates essentially the same?
The Dawgs that I have are a bit thicker and the edges are a bit rounder. The golden gates are just a bit thinner and the edge is a bit sharper. The tone of the two are identical as far as I can tell (at least in my hands on my mandolin) but teh Dawg pick tends to slide over the strings just a little bit easier.

John Rosett
Feb-17-2004, 12:04pm
mandojeremy-
i myself am partial to the white grisman picks. i would be glad to trade you out of them. i have some of the first run dawg picks. waddaya think?
john

mandoJeremy
Feb-17-2004, 2:59pm
Hey mandorose, I actually don't like the Dawg picks and I kept my orginal Grisman picks just as a collector thing for myself and I don't have but two of the White Grisman ones left (gave them all to some of my friends years ago). What I am really looking for is some original Griman picks in tortoise color because I only have the white and black ones.

GTison
Feb-17-2004, 4:06pm
what would you want to trade for the "david grisman" picks I've got several though they are used I'm sure.
I liked the way they would wear kinda evenly eventually ending up as a round pick for me. the blend of plastic is NOT the same as the golden gates even though they are close in shape.

John Rosett
Feb-17-2004, 4:40pm
dang, i already gave away the "david grisman" saga picks i had. i even had one that the dawg gave me at a workshop.
anyway, i didn't mean to turn this thread into a pick trade thing. mandojeremy, (or anyone else) if you want to trade those white picks for something, send me a pm.
thanks, john

Bobby Brite
Feb-18-2004, 2:23pm
I ordered 12 of the new Dawg picks and got them in yesterday. I absolutely love them. Not anywhere near the sam as GG's. I used GG's exclusively up until now.

Coy Wylie
Feb-18-2004, 4:31pm
Mine came in the mail today. I had not tried Dawg picks before. I definitely like them better than GG's already. However, they seem to produce darker tones that the ultex I've been using lately.

Bobby Brite
Feb-19-2004, 12:16pm
I agree Willard, they do produce a more mellow sound. But I love that. Easy playing too. Bobby

levin4now
Feb-19-2004, 6:08pm
I'm willing to try the Dawg/Grisman picks. I do not how they compare in cost to GG's but if someone wants to trade one, great.

Thanks,

Coy Wylie
Feb-19-2004, 6:18pm
Here's my assessment of the Dawg picks for what it's worth. The shape is like the GG (or visa versa) but the material is much like the ProPlec. I filed blunt rounded edges a bit and this gave a more satisfying, brighter tone. I like them, but my search still goes on for the perfect pick for me... on no do I have PAS as well as MAS?

Michael H Geimer
Feb-19-2004, 7:00pm
" ... but the material is much like the ProPlec. "

I wondered about the visual similarites, too. So I filed down a ProPlec to approx. the shape and bevel of a Dawg. The resulting pick was cool - and cheaper tha a Dawg - but it wasn't a Dawg. It just didn't have quite the same dark warmth that the Dawgs have.

Of course, it wasn't 'dog' either. In fact it is my prefered flat-pick for guitar.

- Benig

Coy Wylie
Feb-20-2004, 12:17am
I had today off and played mando almost all day... a jam at a local music shop in the morning, a guitar picker and banjo buddy at my house this afternoon and worked on a couple of new tunes this evening. I used the filed-down Dawg all day.

However, this evening I found myself going back to the .73 Dunlop Ultex that they sent me for free through an internet offer. I know that's a thin pick for mando, but I like the brightness of the tone and how the surface doesn't slip easily in my hand. I can play faster and more cleanly with it.

I still like the Dawg/GG shape better. I would like to find a pick like the Ultex in that shape or at least the large rounded triangle in a something less than 1mm. This standard pick is a bit small in my hand for hard BG chopping.

Greenmando
Feb-20-2004, 2:21am
My wife discovered my dawgs, now she likes them for her guitar. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

klezmando
Feb-20-2004, 1:13pm
I have some Dawg picks that I got from Elderly about a year ago. #I love the way they tremelo, but I feel like I slurred notes too much with them. #I switched to Dunlop 207 picks about two months ago and love them. #They go from bright to jazzy and mellow very easily. #Really thick (2mm?), not too blunt, not too pointy. #

It's amazing the difference a pick makes.

Mike Bullard
Feb-21-2004, 8:01am
Received my order yesterday. I do like the feel and sound. Also compared them to some Golden Gate and like the Dawgs better. Had my trained (11 year old) musician daughter listen and she daid the Dawgs sound mellower. Thanks Greg Boyd. They do have great service and follow up.

mandoJeremy
Feb-21-2004, 1:08pm
mandorose, don't know if you are interested but check this link out:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....ry=2328 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3388060807&category=2328)

tomlouky
Feb-25-2004, 6:35pm
I am so glad they have returned. I was down to two well worn picks and my search for a suitable replacement has gone nowhere. The do produce a deeper sound than the GG and the Wegen. I used to use them for my F5 only, until Del McCoury talked me into trying them on my HD28. What a difference in the tone.

Thanks for the advice, Del.

Dioptase
Mar-01-2004, 12:12am
Willard,

I've been using that free ultex .73 a lot lately as well. I'm surprised I like such a thin pick, but it really brings out the full range of tone on my A9.

Micah

KevinM
Mar-08-2004, 4:18pm
I've been playig around with picks lately too, I've had the Dawgs for a while, got a couple Tor-Tis, and the D'Andrea Pro-plecs (vintage)the rounded triangles. I've been leaning towards the Pro-Plecs and they are the cheapest ones. I'm gonna try Wegens next. I will say they all sound completely different.

mandodude
Mar-08-2004, 5:16pm
Micah & Willard,

I'm an Ultex guy too, only I like 'em a li'l bit heavier than the .73mm "freebies" (yeah, I got my freebie, too!)... been playin' with a 1.0mm Ultex ever since mandohack turned me on to 'em some months ago.

Don't know if you guys tried this yet, but try picking with the "shoulder" rather than the point of the pick (aim the point in toward the inside of your hand and pick with the rounded, upper corner of the pick) - gives you the benefit of the "big curve" of a GG or Dawg along with the inherent expressiveness and "snap" of the Ultex material... plus it makes fast tremelos a breeze to play!

It may feel funny at first but, trust me, once you get used to "shoulder pickin'" you'll be hooked!

Michael H Geimer
Mar-08-2004, 8:52pm
I *almost* ordered up some of them Ultex picks, but they lost me by not making them in the rounded triangle shape - those tiny ones just don't work for me. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Ranger
Mar-18-2004, 2:33am
recently recieved (Greg Boyd, good service, not much with communication of order tho'...)half dozen Dawg picks and a GG. changed my style! both Dawgs and GG (available only in "Heavy") are similar in style, found GG's "brighter" and Dawgs mellowed my strings. love the sound of the Dawgs better than GG's (used to play with light or medium Dunlops).
they also changed (for better) my right hand position. HAVE to curl the hand more to get the Dawgs to play.
thanks all for the tip on Dawgs. works and sounds great, for my limited funds.
Ranger

garyblanchard
Mar-19-2004, 7:10am
My local shop, Acousticopia in Annapolis, MD, gave me a Dawg pick when I bought a mandolin there. I just went back yesterday to buy more. As a person who does not use a pick on guitar, banjo, ukulele, or autoharp, I had difficulty getting used to a pick on mandolin. The Dawg gives a sound that I can live with. (Maybe I should put tape over the name? Might make it more authentic.) #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Trip
Mar-21-2004, 1:38pm
The one question that I havent seen answered is "are they identical to the ones that were produced as DAWGS?"..same color, size, thickness,etc...because Im down to about 4 that Ive been using for the last couple of years

Coy Wylie
Mar-21-2004, 3:25pm
I'm an Ultex guy too, only I like 'em a li'l bit heavier than the .73mm "freebies" (yeah, I got my freebie, too!)... been playin' with a 1.0mm Ultex ever since mandohack turned me on to 'em some months ago.
It's been a while since I posted on this thread but I still like the Ultex. I placed an order with elderly last week for some strings, CD's, guitar capo, etc... but forgot to get some Ultex picks. Urgh! I can get Clayton's (similar) locally but no one here is stocking Ultex's yet.

The Clayton's I bought are .93mm and are the next best thing to my ear but they don't quite have the snap of the Ultex.

Yes, I am a "shoulder" picker too. Sometimes, when I want a bright sparkly sound I use the point, say on "Blackberry Blossom."

The Dawgs, like the GG's are so thick they seem to muffle the volume and tone.

andermuffins
Mar-21-2004, 4:54pm
I picked up a dawg yesterday. #I've long liked GGs but preferred my ancient Fender extra-heavy rounded triangle. #I'd worn the points down so that it looked a lot like the dawgs. #There is one difference between the Dawgs and GGs that I haven't seen metioned yet which is that the Dawgs are larger. #Size was the main reason I preferred the Fender to the GGs. #Dawgs fit my hand much better allowing a looser grip without dropping the pick.

Fortunately for me I only lose picks about every three years so a half dozen dawgs should carry me for #a while . http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif