PDA

View Full Version : Forestry guy

Tina MBee
Aug-04-2009, 5:11pm
This past Saturday I was walking through the Louisa County, Va Fair and saw a guy sitting behind an exhibit on forestry with a mandolin. Of course I had to stop and chat. He had a Flatiron Army-Navy replica. Anyway, we talked 'mandolin' and he knew about mandolincafe.com of course! This was just as neat as meeting Jamie in a music store in PA. You just never know when you'll run into a fellow cafe member :)

Soupy1957
Aug-05-2009, 4:25am
or more significantly............ya never know when you are going to run into a fellow mandolin player, in the woods........lol.

-Soupy1957

Michael Gowell
Aug-05-2009, 10:20pm
Ah, the woods...back in the '70's if you sat somewhere picturesque and picked for a while some free spirit was bound to come along and offer to share some herbal delight.

jim_n_virginia
Aug-05-2009, 10:35pm
I have run into fellow Mandolin Cafers just about anyplace I go that has music and I have my case sticker and it gets spotted or my Cafe hat! :mandosmiley:

journeybear
Aug-06-2009, 12:17am
So far the Café has 16,296 members, growing all the time. Assuming 15,000 of these live in the US (just a ballpark estimate) where some 300 million reside, that means 1 in 20,000 Americans is a member. Some areas are more likely to have a higher concentration of Café members than others, and some social situations (festivals, fairs, concerts, etc.) wll increase this likelihood.

I live in a town of 25,000 and the list says I'm the only Café member here, so I'm doing my part! ;) :mandosmiley: :cool:

Bill Snyder
Aug-06-2009, 9:02pm
...I live in a town of 25,000 and the list says I'm the only Café member here, so I'm doing my part! ;) :mandosmiley: :cool:

The "LIST" does not know where a fairly high percentage of us live, well for now. :whistling:

journeybear
Aug-06-2009, 9:44pm
Yeah, I know, filling in the location in the profile is completely voluntary, and often fanciful. Still, one would think someone might have piped up in the year or so I've been yakking ... :whistling: ... Anyway, I was just making a ballpark estimate to give us some perspective.

I did bump into someone here a few months ago who recognized my Café hat and said she'd seen the site, but didn't seem to be a member.

man dough nollij
Aug-07-2009, 1:27pm
Well, I figure there are less than a thousand people on my continent. There are definitely no more than 200 within a 500 mile radius of me. That means I represent one in a thousand or so. More than 20 times the concentration of Cafe members in the states!* The Cafe DOMINATES Antarctica! :disbelief:

*According to JB's estimates.

Jim MacDaniel
Aug-07-2009, 2:51pm
Whodathunk? Antarctica, famous for flightless tuxedo-clad birds and mandolins.

CES
Aug-07-2009, 2:55pm
or more significantly............ya never know when you are going to run into a fellow mandolin player, in the woods........lol.

-Soupy1957

Better than "just running into" a banjo picker in the woods, though I guess you wouldn't feel as bad about pushing him in front of the bear while you make your escape...~o)

Mike Bunting
Aug-07-2009, 3:25pm
Better than "just running into" a banjo picker in the woods, though I guess you wouldn't feel as bad about pushing him in front of the bear while you make your escape...~o)
If he was playing, there wouldn't be any bears around :grin: