PDA

View Full Version : Want an Octave?

Luthier
Aug-21-2004, 3:36am
http://www.ext.vt.edu/resources/4h/northern/adult.html#L1

Here is your chance to build your own high quality Octave Mandolin.
On October 3 - 6 I will help you build your own OM!! That is correct. You will leave the workshop with your very own Octave Mandolin. Even if you have never touched a piece of wood before in your life, you will leave with your own OM that you built using the finest solid woods and playable upon your departure!! Class size is limited. It is an intense 3 1/2 days but it is a great time and I will teach you the basic luthier skills. I will show you how to do inlay, how to bend wood, and answer any questions that my 29 years experience of building instruments will allow me to. You really can't beat the price for what you get and room and board are included! Lots of music at night too.
I will be happy to answer any questions you have. This really is a great oppourtunity and I hope to see you there.

Don

pickles
Sep-01-2004, 3:48am
This looks like such a blast, and to come out of it having built an OM; wow! I wish I were 2000 miles closer and $500 richer than I am.

Luthier
Sep-01-2004, 9:05am
bummer....It is a real good time.

Don

DorothyD
Sep-02-2004, 7:54am
My husband just signed up for your octave mandolin workshop and I signed up for the mandolin "bootcamp" with Niles. Neither of us have ever done anything like this before. We are enjoying our 'senior' years and this sounded VERY interesting!!

Dorothy

Luthier
Sep-02-2004, 9:01am
You will not regret it!!
I am looking forward to working with you.
Don

DorothyD
Sep-07-2004, 9:21am
Thanks for the warm welcome, Don. We have been away this weekend doing a craft show and I had no access to a computer. I am very excited about this new "adventure" I will be undertaking. See you soon!

Ed & Dorothy

Steph
Sep-07-2004, 8:57pm
Ed and Dorothy...... just don't let Don catch you looking at the scenery when you should be sanding/gluing/clamping. Seriously you'll have a great time and Don is a great guy to teach you - he has infinite patience (well almost)even with complete beginners - trust me I know.

DorothyD
Sep-07-2004, 9:47pm
Thanks for the encouragement, Steph. #It will be my husband, Ed, who will be "sanding/gluing/clamping" and I know he will love every minute of it! I'll make sure he reads your reply. #I will be sweating up a storm trying to keep up with everyone in Nile's mandolin bootcamp class. I have no idea what to expect #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif but I'm really looking forward to it!
Thanks again,
Dorothy

Steph
Sep-08-2004, 5:04am
Dorothy,
I went to Niles' bootcamp in March this year - expect to be: singing scales in sol-fa, doing martial arts wrist warmups, learning your first Scandanavian and Greek tunes - and to have a great time - I intend to go to the intermediate class in November;-)

DorothyD
Sep-08-2004, 7:41am
Hi Steph!

Oh no! #What have I gotten myself into??? #I read your email to my husband and when I got to the singing part he said "Whew! I'm sure glad I'll be in another room"! I have to go take a shower and practice!! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif