PDA

View Full Version : Today's Oval Hole Builders

jlb
Feb-09-2004, 8:22pm
Just wondering what the word out on the street is on who are the top modern builders of oval hole mandolins.

In my local circles, consensus seems to be that Sobell mandolins out of Ireland are top dog for Celtic playing, and that Old Wave mandos are the most worthy modern heir to the teens Gibson A's, which in my area are the standard for Old Time.

Just wondering what other good builders are out there.

To keep this at the working man level, without any intention of being a "reverse snob", I'd prefer to leave out the boutique-class of mandolins.

fatt-dad
Feb-09-2004, 8:36pm
I am also curious about the MK oval hole f-style mandolins. Gruhn has one that looks real pretty.

f-d

Jack Roberts
Feb-09-2004, 8:54pm
Peter Coombe

John Flynn
Feb-09-2004, 9:09pm
This is a big interest of mine, so what I am sharing is a result of research, not actual experience. I realize they are all over the map cost-wise. Oval builders I am interested in include:

> Bill Bussman
> Gavin Baird
> Peter Sawchyn
> Eastman Strings
> Michael Kelly
> Doug Woodley
> Rigel (yes, they do make ovals!)
> Weber

Eric F.
Feb-09-2004, 10:24pm
Another vote for Peter Coombe. He may be toward the high end of your range. How about Will Parsons? I have a Parsons flat top that sings mighty sweet. I have seen _ but not played _ a Parsons carved top oval hole. Breedlove also deserves consideration. Theirs range from less than $1,000 for a Quartz OO on up to more than $3,000 (I think) for an Orca.

Fretbear
Feb-09-2004, 10:46pm
Canadian builder Gavin Baird is setting a new standard for modern oval-hole mandolins. They are played by Norman Blake and Peter Ostroushko.

bolannta
Feb-09-2004, 10:55pm
Stefan Sobell's mandolins are made in England.

pickinNgrinnin
Feb-09-2004, 11:28pm
I seriously doubt these are working man F4's but check out the pics of the two F4's Gavin Baird put up on the post a picture of your Mandolin board. These are the best looking F4's I've seen. I'm still wiping drool off my keyboard!

Lee
Feb-10-2004, 1:07pm
Pomeroy Instruments shows some ovals on his site. Anyone play 'em?

Jack Roberts
Feb-10-2004, 2:35pm
Another vote for Peter Coombe. He may be toward the high end of your range.
I thought about that when I posted, Eric, but most of the problem is the poor exchange rate for the U.S. dollar, not the actual cost of the instrument. #Economists use the "Big Mac" index to convert any price world wide into the number of McDonald's Big Macs. #A Peter Coombe Mandolin costs exactly 1000 big macs in Australia. #(One big mac is A$3.20 as of January 15th.) #In the U.S. a Big Mac is US$2.65, or about A$3.41, which means if Peter would accept Big Macs instead of Australian dollars, I could buy one for only 938 Big Macs, and have 62 big macs left over to eat while I played!

(I think this takes Peter out of the boutique class--the monteleone mandola in the classifieds is over 10,000 Big Macs)

Eric F.
Feb-10-2004, 3:12pm
If you slopped any of that special sauce from your 62 leftover Big Macs on Peter's French polish finish, you'd be mighty sorry, tho. ...

Seriously, I believe Peter's oval holes will stand with just about anybody's. OK, I haven't played a Gavin Baird (although I lust after one) or a Brentrup (I believe he has started making them), so if anyone wants to convince me that I'm wrong, I'll gladly borrow one of those for a week or two.

Jim M.
Feb-10-2004, 3:50pm
I'll confirm that Brentrup is making oval holes; I have his A prototype and it's great. He's also making a beautiful F oval hole. Red Diamond makes a great one too. I've played Bussman, Coombe and Woodley, too, and you wouldn't go wrong with any of those.

Jack Roberts
Feb-10-2004, 4:43pm
As soon as I get any money, I plan to buy a Red Diamond.

peter.coombe
Feb-10-2004, 5:36pm
Thanks for the endorsements guys. I am currently working on my web site to bring it up to date. Currently it is a bit of a mess since the guy who was looking after it has done absolutely nothing for quite some time. There will be lots of tempting (I hope) new pictures of oval hole mandolins, A5's, mandolas and a significant redesign when I eventually finish it. Man, that stuff is time consuming, it is keeping me out of the workshop WAY too long. The end of the tunnel is now visible, but still some way off.

goldtopper
Feb-10-2004, 5:48pm
I realize I am to King Brown what Elen Brandt is to Brentrup.... But seriously folks check out King Brown's Ovals. My oval holed F5 takes a back seat to nobodies and is very reasonably priced. It turns heads upon sight and ears upon tone.... and I am picky.

Jack Roberts
Feb-10-2004, 6:47pm
Thanks for the endorsements guys. #
Peter, playing one of your mandolas was great. It was kind of like "Oh..that's what it's supposed to sound like...(dope slap)".

I'm sure I'll be just as happy not eating those Big Macs and saving up for one!

CHPorter
Feb-10-2004, 10:24pm
I have one of the Pomeroy F4 mandos built by Don Paine in Colorado (below). It's about 10 months old now. It's built on Don's F5 'frame,' with the longer scale of an F5, 1 1/8" nut, etc. Mine is topped with red (or Adirondack) spruce, as I believe most if not all of Don's instruments are. It is X-braced.

I really love it -- the tone is woody and warm with good sustain and I think it has the exact sound I was looking for. I happen to know that Don has a nearly identical F4 (#31) for sale right now at a very good price. No connection except as a satisfied customer.

Two weekends ago I played a late 80s (I think) Stefan Sobell mandolin at Serious Strings in Guilford, CT. It had that classic celtic mando sound, with a slightly wider neck and flattish (if not completely flat) fretboard. I think the back&sides were rosewood but can't remember if the top was spruce; might've been cedar.

It was in fine shape and had a ringing, very non-bluegrass vibe to it. Brian Wolfe is the proprietor there. Check out www.seriousstrings.com. Again, no interest financially.

You certainly wouldn't go wrong with either of these oval hole (actually, triangular hole in the case of the Sobell) #mandos.

Craig

peter.coombe
Feb-11-2004, 3:58am
Pictures? Time to blow the trumpet. A couple of pictures that will go on the new web site. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

peter.coombe
Feb-11-2004, 3:59am
Another, this time a birdseye back.

revray
Feb-13-2004, 11:57am
I would like to put in a plug for the F-4s built by Mark Bluett. I've had mine about a year and a half and it continues to amaze me and everyone who hears/plays it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Scott Rucker
Feb-13-2004, 1:58pm
As someone else already mentioned, don't forget Breedlove. I've got an Olympic that I've been quite happy with. It's sound is easily comparable to old Gibson A models. The newfangled looking headstock may deter some, though.

When Jim M had it before me, he and Dan Beimborn both commented on how it sounded very much like an A jr Dan recorded at least part of Shatter The Calm with.

elenbrandt
Feb-13-2004, 8:45pm
hey Goldtopper -- my guy can beat up yer guy (just kidding, these artists are too gentile to duke it out -- they leave that to the pushy owners of their instruments, like me, for example...) cheers... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

goldtopper
Feb-15-2004, 7:28pm
hey Goldtopper -- my guy can beat up yer guy (just kidding, these artists are too gentile to duke it out -- they leave that to the pushy owners of their instruments, like me, for example...) cheers... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
That's Ok Elen. I live 10 miles from Hans and have been over for a visit. I think I played 5 mandolins that day. What a treat. He beveled my Summit's extension. That must have been last winter. Maybe I played one of yours?