PDA

View Full Version : Outrageous Price of Picks

Duane Graves
Jul-31-2009, 2:24pm
I don't know, call me out of touch or worse if you like but I have to fly some red-flags when I see the price of some of these picks. This 'Blue Chip' which by the way is 'red' (go figure) costs us 50 smackers here in Canada. That's 5 times the price of a real good set of strings. What's going on? I think the pick manufactures see mandolin players as easy "pick-ins" (excuse the pun)and will pay anything to get the "Certain Sound" they all have in their ears.

Another thing. I just bought the Wegen TF 140 (2 in a package) for $20 ($10 each) Canadian. I bought them via internet and primarily because Chris Thile is quoted that he uses them. NOW, I see Chris Thile uses the Blue Chip also. Give me a break Chris. You could play the mandolin with your fingernail and make is sound great. Anyway, I get my Wegens home and they are too stiff for me as I would like to try the TF 120s or the 130s. So, on and on it goes. What happened to the 49 cent pick.

My grumble, Capo

Bob Stolkin
Jul-31-2009, 2:26pm
:popcorn:

GTG
Jul-31-2009, 2:34pm
Grumble grumble. Yeah, but at least we're not fiddlers, who have to pay another 50% on top of the cost of their instrument to get a decent bow. And you don't 'need' a $50 pick to play mando, just like you don't 'need' a $25,000 mando to play the mando. For 4.5 of my 5 years playing I used a pick that cost a buck or less and did fine. My upgrade to a RedBear was purely for fun, chasing that legendary tone...

Actually, the high end pick market seems highly competitive these days, with Wegen, RedBear, BlueChip, V-picks, Dugain, etc. available for the discerning plectrum-lover. Hey, what can you say, labour costs are high in the wealthy side of the world these days.

John Flynn
Jul-31-2009, 2:41pm
It's like any other accessory: If it's worth it to you, buy it, if not, don't. I'm with the OP. Any pick over a dollar is overpriced for me. But for others, they say if you can improve your playing and tone for only $50, that's a good investment and I appreciate that position. It's all discretionary spending: There is no right or wrong about it.

FYI, there is another thread running about "bread bag closer" picks, where people are talking about using picks made out of surplus items that don't cost a thing. That's too far the other direction for me. I insist on picks made from genuine "Mother of Toilet Seat!" :cool:

mrmando
Jul-31-2009, 2:42pm
I dunno ... I did an experiment where I blindfolded my friend Joe and played him a tune, first on a $10K mandolin with a 25-cent pick, and then on a $25 mandolin with a $50 pick. Joe said he couldn't tell the difference. Then we discovered his hearing-aid batteries were dead. Maybe it would have helped if I'd chosen a tune I actually knew how to play.

JEStanek
Jul-31-2009, 2:43pm
I still like my Dawg pics the best. You can make similar arguments between Folger's and Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee. A decent bottle of Aussie Shiraz vs a premium one. Some folks swear by the difference. Nobody will force you to purchase an expensive accessory. Never underestimate the markets ability to add a premium end to itself.

Jamie

Mike Bunting
Jul-31-2009, 2:52pm
1. Read all the years worth of posts and you'll get an idea of why BC's are expensive.
2. That you bought picks because you read that Chris T. uses them is hardly a valid reason to buy them!

I don't know, call me out of touch or worse if you like but I have to fly some red-flags when I see the price of some of these picks. This 'Blue Chip' which by the way is 'red' (go figure) costs us 50 smackers here in Canada. That's 5 times the price of a real good set of strings. What's going on? I think the pick manufactures see mandolin players as easy "pick-ins" (excuse the pun)and will pay anything to get the "Certain Sound" they all have in their ears.

Another thing. I just bought the Wegen TF 140 (2 in a package) for $20 ($10 each) Canadian. I bought them via internet and primarily because Chris Thile is quoted that he uses them. NOW, I see Chris Thile uses the Blue Chip also. Give me a break Chris. You could play the mandolin with your fingernail and make is sound great. Anyway, I get my Wegens home and they are too stiff for me as I would like to try the TF 120s or the 130s. So, on and on it goes. What happened to the 49 cent pick.

My grumble, Capo

Glassweb
Jul-31-2009, 3:39pm
you can still get a 49 cent pick... no problem!

Charley wild
Jul-31-2009, 3:39pm
49 cents? Why waste that kind of money? Fender extra heavys are still three for a buck over this way.
Look at it this way; Chris doesn't play your mandolin!

Ted Eschliman
Jul-31-2009, 3:40pm
Waiter: Would monsieur care for another bottle of Chateau Latour?

Navin: Ah yes, but no more 1966. Lets splurge! Bring us some fresh wine! The freshest you've got - this year! No more of this old stuff.

JeffD
Jul-31-2009, 5:20pm
I think the pick manufactures see mandolin players as easy "pick-ins" (excuse the pun)and will pay anything to get the "Certain Sound" they all have in their ears.

What I don't get is folks who spend hundreds, even thousands, on a mandolin - an object you can't eat, can't smoke, can't wear, can't even store data on, and takes many years to learn how to operate, in fact you have to pay extra for lessons on how to use it - so some folks buy these things, usually for no other purpose than personal entertainment, and then they complain about spending more than a buck for a pick.

What is up with that?

:mandosmiley:

Wendell Jeong
Jul-31-2009, 5:28pm
49 cents? Why waste that kind of money? Fender extra heavys are still three for a buck over this way.
Look at it this way; Chris doesn't play your mandolin!

Fender/ Dunlop picks for me too. Cheap picks work for me.

Chris Biorkman
Jul-31-2009, 5:32pm
I don't really see what the big deal is. You can still buy your cheap picks, right? A lot of people think these more expensive picks are worth the $, myself included. If you don't like the price, don't buy them. I like the way the BC sounds and the way it cuts through the strings. I have had the same one for well over a year, with no wear whatsoever. If you spend 10 grand on a mandolin because it sounds better than a cheaper one, I don't know why you wouldn't spend $35 for a pick that improves your tone.

Ole Joe Clark
Jul-31-2009, 6:07pm
I think the price of a Blue Chip is outrageous! So is a gallon of gas, Rapala fishing lures, Garcia fishing reels, and a decent rod to put it on....... But, I still buy gas, lures, etc., and even (God forbid) a Blue Chip pick.

If a quarter pick suits you, or a cane pole, so be it, I don't begrudge you that.

As we say in the South, "whatever boils your water." :cool:

Rick Schmidlin
Jul-31-2009, 6:13pm
Dunlap 1.0 gives me the best bang for the buck, my MF 5 needs nothing bettter then that.

Doug Edwards
Jul-31-2009, 6:47pm
I guess I HAD more money than sense, I have $225 invested in six picks and a pouch full of others. Maybe $250 all together. Not looking to buy anymore...although that TAD-40 seems nice.

mandodan1960
Jul-31-2009, 6:51pm
Played golf today paid

$50.00 Green Fee
$6.00 3 lost balls
$6.50 Lunch
$2.00 Tip

Chipping it in for birdie from 30 yards out (yes yards)

Priceless...

Miked
Jul-31-2009, 6:58pm
This 'Blue Chip' which by the way is 'red' (go figure) costs us 50 smackers here in Canada. That's 5 times the price of a real good set of strings.
Look at it this way: That BC pick will last a lot longer than your 5 sets of strings. You just need to change the way to think about picks.

A few weeks ago I had a mild panic attack when I opened my case and there was no BC. After sweating it for a few minutes, I found it in a shirt pocket. Since that little episode, my BC will never taste another pocket and stays right next to my mandolin at all times!:mandosmiley:

Jim MacDaniel
Jul-31-2009, 7:14pm
Waiter: Would monsieur care for another bottle of Chateau Latour?

Navin: Ah yes, but no more 1966. Lets splurge! Bring us some fresh wine! The freshest you've got - this year! No more of this old stuff.

Now I know your "special purpose" Ted: leveraging obscure quotes as meaningful metaphors. ;)

Tim2723
Jul-31-2009, 7:36pm
To heck with picks, I want to know how Dan ate lunch at the golfcourse for only $6.50!!!

300win
Jul-31-2009, 7:41pm
BLUE CHIP, BLUE CHIP, BLUE CHIP, thats the one for me !!!!!!!!!!!!

pops1
Jul-31-2009, 9:15pm
When i compare picks for people who aren't musicians, even they hear the difference in sound between my BC and a thinner cheaper pick. Some times i want the brighter sound and i will use the old pick, but very very seldom.

mandroid
Jul-31-2009, 9:43pm
Got a dozen Dawg picks 20 years ago , still have and use the same ones,
assortment has spread out to include Herco thumb/flatpicks ,
and Fender H big 'Wankel' picks too. 3 or 4 fer$ these days ..

Tim2723
Jul-31-2009, 10:02pm
There's no way I could afford these boutique picks. When I finish a show, picks are scattered on the floor like autumn leaves. I'd be bound to loose $100 worth a week. If someone were to supply me with them for an endorsement, sure, but otherwise, I got a living to make. I buy picks by the gross. Seriously.

Dave Hanson
Aug-01-2009, 1:55am
A thousand dollar pick won't make you sound like Bigmon or the Dawg, you cant buy talent.

Dave H

Ivan Kelsall
Aug-01-2009, 3:59am
"Perceived Value" - if you think it's worth it then buy it & enjoy it,if you don't - then DON'T,
Ivan

Tom Sanderson
Aug-01-2009, 7:09am
A couple days ago, a friend showed me a Blue Chip pick the he had just purchased. We compared it to a old T shell pick that came with a guitar that I bought a few years ago. They sounded identical in tone. Not similar, identical. I'm so impressed that I'm buying one.

Don Christy
Aug-01-2009, 7:19am
To heck with picks, I want to know how Dan ate lunch at the golfcourse for only $6.50!!!

Sounds to me like a $4 beer and $2.50 tip to the cute Beer-Cart girl.

Miked
Aug-01-2009, 7:52am
A thousand dollar pick won't make you sound like Bigmon or the Dawg, you cant buy talent.
No, but for $35 you can improve the tone that you pull from your instrument.

I don't think Bill Monroe fussed too much over picks. I remember reading where someone asked him what type of pick he used and he pulled one out of his pocket and said "This kind". No particular brand, just one he had found under the car seat. No disrespect to the father of bluegrass and I revere his music, but I bet his tone would have improved using a BC pick.

Dave Hanson
Aug-01-2009, 8:29am
A brave man to say Bill Monroe could have sounded better. I suggest he would sound like he did no matter what pick he used, as would David Grisman.

Dave H

Skip Kelley
Aug-01-2009, 8:47am
"Perceived Value" - if you think it's worth it then buy it & enjoy it,if you don't - then DON'T,
Ivan

Well said! I like my Bluechip and consider it worth every penny!:)

Charley wild
Aug-01-2009, 10:40am
Of course everybody LOVES their Blue Chip pick! Who's going to spend $30 on a pick and say they don't?!!:)):))

journeybear
Aug-01-2009, 11:06am
There's no way I could afford these boutique picks. When I finish a show, picks are scattered on the floor like autumn leaves. I'd be bound to loose $100 worth a week. If someone were to supply me with them for an endorsement, sure, but otherwise, I got a living to make. I buy picks by the gross. Seriously.

Man, next time I'm up north, I've got to go to one of your shows. I'm not much on Irish music (but beer, yes), but I can dig the excitement, danger, and possible destruction. I'll just have to be careful not to get too close, so I don't get hit by flying debris! :)) Mandolin Destroyer and Pick Thrasher. Are you sure you're not really Pete Townshend? :confused:

JeffD
Aug-01-2009, 11:14am

Well don't scatter them on the floor. My personal experience and the experience of many is that when you buy a high end pick you don't tend to scatter it.

Ease of scattering is a habit enabled by the low cost of replacement.

JeffD
Aug-01-2009, 11:17am

Dave H

No, but a $30 dollar pick may improve your tone as much as a $120 dollar complete set up.

Seriously, if you are willing to spend a bit on a set up, to improve the sound, why wouldn't you spend about a quarter of that for a similar improvement in tone.

Tim2723
Aug-01-2009, 11:18am
Wear goggles JB.

JeffD
Aug-01-2009, 11:20am
Of course everybody LOVES their Blue Chip pick! Who's going to spend $30 on a pick and say they don't?!!:)):))

Have you tried 'em? The blue chip and the red bear picks do give a measurable change in tone over a gibson heavy or the like.

Objectively verifiable, measureable difference in tone.

Whether that change is in the direction you like, or whether it is worth the money is of course your call.

JeffD
Aug-01-2009, 11:23am
I heard that people spend more than $30 on a festival. What is up with that? I mean a pick will last a lot longer than a weekend.

JeffD
Aug-01-2009, 11:29am
Some folks remind me of a buddy of mine who complains about the cost of drinks at the bar. Hey, they don't serve alcohol at the bank, what made you think you can save money at a bar.

If you have tried the picks and they are not to your liking, I respect your decision.

If you haven't tried the pick because it costs $30 bucks I have to wonder. You could have saved ten or a hundred to a thousand times as much if you didn't buy the mandolin. Especially the second mandolin OMG.

journeybear
Aug-01-2009, 11:33am
Do these high-end picks come with a hole so you can attach them to a retractable belt-clip key chain? :confused:

Jim Broyles
Aug-01-2009, 11:44am
A brave man to say Bill Monroe could have sounded better. I suggest he would sound like he did no matter what pick he used, as would David Grisman.

Dave H

Not to hijack the thread, but this is the kind of statement which drives me nuts on this forum. There are plenty of recordings in which Monroe's tone leaves me cold. Grisman's tone on that Eastman from Bernunzio's in that video is pretty bad, too. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that of all the "greats," Grisman's tone is consistently the worst, to my ears.

Tim2723
Aug-01-2009, 11:46am
Personally, I haven't tried them because all the ones I've seen advertised are far too thick for me. I play 0.5mm Clayton acetal rounded triangles. I did the suggested route of trying cheaper thick picks to test the waters, but I've never liked the feel or the sound. Then again, I'm an Irish player and feel that the thick pick sound is more Bluegrassy. It's all personal choice, of course.

journeybear
Aug-01-2009, 11:51am

Ignatius
Aug-01-2009, 11:57am
In fact, I'd go as far as to say that of all the "greats," Grisman's tone is consistently the worst, to my ears.
:disbelief: Save me a seat, journeybear. :popcorn:

danb
Aug-01-2009, 12:01pm
I've been making my own lately, gives you a little more freedom to get them just right. I can't seem to reproduce the process at will, but I'm batting a little over 500 anyway

Charley wild
Aug-01-2009, 12:05pm
Have you tried 'em? The blue chip and the red bear picks do give a measurable change in tone over a gibson heavy or the like.

Objectively verifiable, measureable difference in tone.

Whether that change is in the direction you like, or whether it is worth the money is of course your call.

No, and I won't unless somebody lends me one. Seriously, Jeff, it's question of price versus value to me. For $30 I can buy 90 Fender heavy or extra heavys. I'm 68 years old. I ain't going to live long enough! I use all three sides. I'm using the same pick I have used on my Tele for at least five years. In fact the rounder it gets the better it becomes for the mandolin. So it boils down to: Fender=30 cents, Blue Chip= 30 dollars. Is the Chip going to make me sound that much better? I don't think so. ( I don't mean that in a wisea** way). THAT is the operative sentence. "I don't think so". To drone on here, Jeff, if I won the Powerball I wouldn't buy a Lloyd Loar. Seriously. Does a Loar, any Loar sound that much better than an Ellis, Nugget, etc.? I don't think so. In fact I'd buy that F4 with the long neck in the classifieds!! (I HAVE to quit looking at that thing!!)lol
Having rambled on here I'll close by saying my posts are respectful to everyone's opinion. I'm just poking fun. You all spend your money just the way you want! I don't want anybody telling me how to spend mine!

danb
Aug-01-2009, 12:08pm
These kinds of threads ("some type of mandolin or accessory is expensive...") usually divide into the following lists of folks:

a) There's no mandolin so bad or pick so lousy that it would make famous player XX sound bad, therefore by extension the mandolin/pick/strings/accessory is not worth it

b) Good equipment is worth it and helps any player sound better

I personally fall into camp "B", though find that the problem of "is thing XX any good" is a lifelong pursuit to determine. I don't have the cash for a Loar, but I know they make a good player sound better. Same is true of a lot of mandolins that are a heck of a lot cheaper too, good isn't tied to price but often good costs more than bad.

Anyway, picks are pretty cool. I'm looking forward to a material with the right type of slipperyness that can out-tortoise tortoiseshell too, and I'm constantly making small adjustments to the thickness/shape/type of pick I use if it seems to make a difference.

HaveMercy
Aug-01-2009, 12:21pm
Give Golden Gate picks a try. They're about $2US apiece and they definitely bring out that woody tone in most mandos.

That said, I switched to Wegen picks about a year ago for more volume. Handmade from Kevlar. $2US doesn't seem unreasonable.

David Hansen
Aug-01-2009, 12:37pm
The sound generated from a pick is pretty subjective. I have yet to hear someone say: "Wow he sounds fantastic he must be using a Blue Chip Pick." or a Wegan or a Red Bear. The fact of the matter is that no one but you can tell the difference. That being said I have a Blue Chip and a bunch of Wegan's and I like the way I sound when I use them.

Charles E.
Aug-01-2009, 12:39pm
I have recently discovered picks made from horn ( water buffalo? ) cost $ 2.25 each, I like them alot. I also bought a couple of Golden Gate picks and those are good too. I reshape them and taper the thickness then polish them to suit my playing. Years ago I thought I had found the perfect pick so I ordered a gross of them. Lost every one!

papawhisky
Aug-01-2009, 1:20pm
The pick discussion is similar to the Tonerite discussion. There is a camp that believes that certain accessories are worth the asking price and some even pay the price. There is another camp that doesn't think it (pick, Tonerite, etc) is worth the money; and then further seems to believe that it shouldn't be on the market, can't perform as advertised, exemplifies a poor value, and should not be purchased--by anyone.
It's all good. It's a free market and a free country. I am glad that we have the choices available to us of the $30 pick and the $0.30 pick, the entry level mando and the multi $1000 mando. I like getting to make the choices myself.

Charley wild
Aug-01-2009, 1:31pm
The pick discussion is similar to the Tonerite discussion. There is a camp that believes that certain accessories are worth the asking price and some even pay the price. There is another camp that doesn't think it (pick, Tonerite, etc) is worth the money; and then further seems to believe that it shouldn't be on the market, can't perform as advertised, exemplifies a poor value, and should not be purchased--by anyone.
It's all good. It's a free market and a free country. I am glad that we have the choices available to us of the $30 pick and the $0.30 pick, the entry level mando and the multi $1000 mando. I like getting to make the choices myself.

I love these threads! I'm in neither camp! I have joked about the picks and the Tonerite. Both are a waste of money in my opinion. BUT, like you I believe in a free market. Absolutely! Don't put me in the camp that thinks that they shouldn't be sold. I'm just rendering my opinion. But as I stated in a previous post far be it from me to tell anyone how to spend their money! That's their business.:)

Jimmy Kittle
Aug-01-2009, 1:46pm
$35.00 for a pick, $75.00 for Tone guard, $5,000 for a mandolin, I consider that cheap compared to the 4 cars I've worn out driving places to learn how to play it.
For many of us it's a great hobby, like any hobby you spend what makes the enjoyment just a little bit better to you.

CES
Aug-01-2009, 1:56pm

Man, between the mando-smashing and the flying picks, I gotta see one of your shows!!

I'm a cheap pick guy...nothing against the expensive ones, but I'm not good enough to justify them yet...I don't lose many, and usually when I do they turn up in another instrument case, the wash, under furniture, etc...the main thing I need to improve my tone, though, is more practice...If I did this for a living, though, I go for the best tone I could get for studio purposes (and still use cheap picks for shows)...

Edit: Sorry, JB, didn't realize you beat me to this punch...should have read on before typing...

After reading further, OP, I'm with you. I believe that good equipment makes you sound better, maybe even play better (assuming better set-up, neck feel, touch, etc), and have no objection to folks maximizing their tone/progress any way they see fit. But, I'm basically a cheapskate at heart (none of my instruments cost more than 500 bucks) and not good enough to justify any greater expense. And, no, while my Kentucky sounds surprisingly good, I don't think it's better than Gibson/Collings/Breedlove/Rigel/private builder. I'm a cheapskate, but not an idiot!! If I won powerball, though I'd probably try a Wegen, just for fun...

mandroid
Aug-01-2009, 2:17pm
the Placebo effect works. ;)

Charley wild
Aug-01-2009, 2:42pm
$35.00 for a pick, $75.00 for Tone guard, $5,000 for a mandolin, I consider that cheap compared to the 4 cars I've worn out driving places to learn how to play it.
For many of us it's a great hobby, like any hobby you spend what makes the enjoyment just a little bit better to you.

Well, Jimmy, you did it! Good man! I knew somebody would. You brought me right back down to earth. At my age I've had many, many interests. I've thoroughly enjoyed every one of them! At one time I shot competitive trap and skeet. Talk about a hobby you can spend some real money on!! That was just one interest. I could go on and on but won't. And all things considered I've probably spent more money on gas and replacing worn out cars than any other expense involved in all my hobbies combined. Why is it that we always leave cars, motels, food, etc. out of the equation?:confused::)

allenhopkins
Aug-01-2009, 3:14pm
Dumbo's "magic feather"? Buy a $50 ZoomeyPik, and any mandolin-playing elephant can fly?

300win
Aug-01-2009, 3:16pm
I've played mandolin, guitar, and banjo for the past 44 years. The Blue Chip pick is the BEST pick I've ever held, and trust me I've held a bunch. I was sceptical when I ordered mine for the mandolin, had always though that turtle was king. It didn't take me but 2 minutes to realize that the BC was the ultimate pick. I've never owned a pick that did not twist in my hand until the BC. I'd never owned a pick that pulled the tone like the turtle, but even better than it is. I've had mine for the mandolin a year and a half, it looks like it did the day I got it except for the lettering thats faded somewhat. I've had mine for the guitar for 7 months now, again no wear, and like the mandolin it pulled the best tone out of my guitar I've ever heard. I ain't rich, heck just the past couple of months was I able to get a F-5, but I can tell you this, if somebody made strings that sounded as good and lasted as long as the BC for $35, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

Duane Graves
Aug-01-2009, 3:25pm
Hi, once again. My thread has some bight in it I think. Good to hear everyone mostly defend there their lack of value verses quality. With all the positive responses here I have to say and agree that these new picks wegen, blue chip, etc. have good quality. It's the price they are charging for them that really gets me. It's come to the point where a blue chip mandolin pick is just to expensive (not to mention embarassing) to ask for a birthday gift for instance from one of my kids (just think about that for a minute...to expensive for a birthday gift....we are talking about a "mandolin pick"). Maybe I'll wait for Christmas and buy it for myself from my wife....I wouldn't dare tell her what it cost. Better still, I think I should wait for the boxing day sales as they might be on for 10% less.

You know, I can remember many years ago when I was a kid some of the old timers back then would predict that there 'might' come a time when we would have to pay for a drink of good water. I thought that was perposterous. But that time is here and has been here. So, I look at the price of some of these picks and I cannot believe it and once again I find myself thinking this is perposterous that I need to spend around $50 Canadian for a "better than your average" mandolin pick. At this price there will no doubt be "seconds" up for grabs or used blue chips at 50% off showing up on e-bay or the like. Yes, I'll get one I suppose but I'll wait for a while. Maybe I'll get lucky and find one. Who knows.

Just to say, the quality might be good (I've know doubt that it is really) but you can't tell me that the price of the blue chip is $49 BETTER than lets say a Fender Extra Heavy. They are ripping us off with our eyes and wallets wide open.

All the best, Capo.

Tim2723
Aug-01-2009, 3:39pm
Yeah, the point usually gets lost. There are two of them: Are they better than other picks, and are they worth more than other picks. Even if they are, for a particular player, the best picks the world has ever known (point one), should they cost as much as they do (point two)?

If they cost a $.50, there would be those who like them and those who don't, and no one would get very interested one way or the other. But price them at $30 a shot, and it becomes controversial.

I think those who have said free market have got it right. There are choices, and you're free to make yours.

Charles E.
Aug-01-2009, 3:47pm
All I can say is those Blue chips must be awsome. Can you test drive them?.....rent to own?

Mark Robertson-Tessi
Aug-01-2009, 4:07pm
Just to say, the quality might be good (I've know doubt that it is really) but you can't tell me that the price of the blue chip is $49 BETTER than lets say a Fender Extra Heavy.

I don't know that anyone can tell you that, because what does $49 better even mean? ;)

For a significant number of people, the BC pick (and other picks for other folks) do sound better. Even if it's slightly better to a player, it's still better. End of story; price has nothing to do with deciding if something sounds better than something else. I've tried a number of pricey picks that I didn't like better than what I was using. Now I use a BC after going back and forth for a week with my old pick, and playing it for people and asking what they thought, and listening to people try my mando with and without it. It was consistently better in several respects, so i use it. Not true for a number of other picks. Was it $35 better? Again, I don't know what that means. But it was better enough. I play a lot of mando, so I don't mind incrementing the quality of my sound in this way. :)

If someone started making platinum picks encrusted with tiny diamonds and selling them for 2 grand, unless they sounded better than anything else, I doubt they'd be popular, just because they were expensive.

Cheers
MRT

journeybear
Aug-01-2009, 4:13pm
... I had always though that turtle was king ...

... I'm looking forward to a material with the right type of slipperyness that can out-tortoise tortoiseshell too ...

I'll tell you, one of the side-effects of having my mandolin stolen was that stuck in the strings was a homemade tortoiseshell pick made by my local luthier from a shell he had found washed up on the beach. He was selling them for $25 but he gave me that, just 'cause I'm such a nice guy - I mean, 'cause he's such a nice guy - OK, both, whatever. The point is, it was really nice - had the stiffness I like while being a bit thinner than a Dunlop of comparable stiffness. Would I have shelled out $25 for it? Probably not. But it was nice to have, and had quickly become my #1 pick. :mandosmiley:

Man, between the mando-smashing and the flying picks, I gotta see one of your shows!! ...

Edit: Sorry, JB, didn't realize you beat me to this punch...should have read on before typing...

'S'alright, great minds think alike. ;) Tell ya what, next time I'm heading north I'll swing by and we can go up to NJ and see what all the fracas is about. At the very least, I can about guarantee that quaffing a few with Tim will be a very entertaining and enjoyable experience! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ernaehrung/food-smiley-004.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/party/party-smiley-012.gif

SternART
Aug-01-2009, 4:15pm
All I can say is those Blue chips must be awsome. Can you test drive them?.....rent to own?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is a money back (if not satisfied) guarantee, to encourage people to try them. I know he will exchange for other shapes & thicknesses, no questions asked. I doubt many go back.

MikeEdgerton
Aug-01-2009, 4:28pm
A year or two ago I was lucky enough to stumble upon the holy grail of picks, those that we cannot and will not discuss because of the endangered nature of their source. I bought 6 if I recall. I do like the way they play and sound. They do not however sound all that much better than the Golden Gate picks that I buy for less than a buck each in bulk. Chances are the only person that hears a marked difference in the pick you're playing on is you. That doesn't mean I'll never buy another tricked out pick, it just means I got certain results from my unscientific tests.

woodwizard
Aug-01-2009, 4:31pm
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is a money back (if not satisfied) guarantee, to encourage people to try them. I know he will exchange for other shapes & thicknesses, no questions asked. I doubt many go back.

I think you're right about that. They are the best picks I've ever used and if I lost mine I would quickly order another but then I like my toneguard too. How much better dollar-wise are they than the much cheaper picks I couldn't say except that I beleave they are better. That's good enough for me. How much better dollar-wise is a Loar mando than a Dude , Gil, Monty?

Mike Bunting
Aug-01-2009, 5:13pm
Just to say, the quality might be good (I've know doubt that it is really) but you can't tell me that the price of the blue chip is $49 BETTER than lets say a Fender Extra Heavy. They are ripping us off with our eyes and wallets wide open.

All the best, Capo.
The way you make your statement leads me to believe that no one can tell you anything. I don't care what pick you like and I don't really want to hear why.
I like 'em fwiw.

John McGann
Aug-01-2009, 5:28pm
The steel guitar great Jerry Byrd used to say about this kind of thing:

If you can't play, it doesn't matter, and if you CAN play, it doesn't matter.

If you play them and hear the difference and like it, great!
If you play them and can't hear the difference, and/or don't like it, great!

Grousing about price is silly. Why listen with your wallet?

The material for the Blue Chip is evidently quite expensive- Capo, you can read about it at their website.

It's true that pro fiddlers think nothing of spending upwards of $5-10k for a bow... which is also not going to make much difference if the fiddler can't play...but it can make a big difference if the fiddler can use it to it's potential.

If Blue Chip, Wegen or any other modern picks don't do it for you, stick with whatever you can find and enjoy it, but realize that your sound is determined by a bunch of things, starting with basic musicianship and technique and ending with the thing that makes the actual sound- the instrument, setup, strings and pick.

Enjoy playing regardless- it's a short spin around the block!

Charles E.
Aug-01-2009, 7:20pm
A year or two ago I was lucky enough to stumble upon the holy grail of picks, those that we cannot and will not discuss because of the endangered nature of their source.

A couple of years ago I helped dismantle an old piano destined for the dump. We salvaged the sound board, braces, ebony keys and the ivory off the white keys. I made a pick out of one of the ivory pieces and it was VERY stiff, very bright and made alot of pick noise. So no danger in the popularity of ivory for pick material!

Glassweb
Aug-01-2009, 7:33pm
no financial interest here, but i'm completely won over with my Bluechip TAD50. fits my bill perfectly in every way... and it seems pretty much indestructible... as Mr. Natural sez, "get the right tool for the job!" ;)

swampstomper
Aug-01-2009, 11:36pm
A lot of traction on this post, and I would just like to add: (1) the pick is where the "rubber meets the road", it is where the sound starts -- John McGann has written some nice words about this, it's our "voice" like a wind player's breathing; (2) different picks have different sounds (I have quite a collection); (3) the right pick will help get the right sound, given your right-hand technique and instrument's quality; (4) it's a free country and as long as the advertising makes no fradulent claims (hey, Chris T really does use them... and we're not talking about Dumbo feathers) it's your choice as a consumer; (5) if you think the price is too high, and there's a good market at a (to you) more "reasonable" price, go ahead and start a competing business yourself.

(for the record, pick of choice D'Andrea Pro Plec 1.5 large triangle).

UsuallyPickin
Aug-02-2009, 4:00pm
I play with several types of picks on several different instruments. Nobody makes me spend 50.00$ on a pick, I choose to. The least expensive pick I use is a Tortex next is Golden Gate after that Wegen 1.2 and 1.4. Tortise is still my favorite but harder and harder to find legally (remanufactured materials) more and more expensive and don't ever take them out of the country. I tried Blue Chip but was not impressed enough to spring for one, don't care for the texture of the Dawgs. But the hunt will continue. I mean, why not? Aren't we having fun? R/

JeffD
Aug-02-2009, 4:21pm
No, and I won't unless somebody lends me one. Seriously, Jeff, it's question of price versus value to me. For $30 I can buy 90 Fender heavy or extra heavys. I'm 68 years old. I ain't going to live long enough! I use all three sides. I'm using the same pick I have used on my Tele for at least five years. In fact the rounder it gets the better it becomes for the mandolin. So it boils down to: Fender=30 cents, Blue Chip= 30 dollars. Is the Chip going to make me sound that much better? I don't think so.!

We are going to have to agree to disagree. :grin:

Some think it sounds better / plays better, some don't. Some think the better is worth the more money, some don't. Some feel the value is there, some don't. I guess the point is, not everyone thinks the price of these picks is outrageous, or thinks it outrageous to spend that much on a pick.

I seriously would never tell anyone how to spend their money, and I would never tolerate someone telling me how to spend mine.

And, I guess, we are probably not going to understand how each other spends their money either. :disbelief:

The important thing is that we can play together. And if we ever find ourselves playing together, I will personally buy the first round of adult beverages.

CES
Aug-02-2009, 4:43pm
'S'alright, great minds think alike. ;) Tell ya what, next time I'm heading north I'll swing by and we can go up to NJ and see what all the fracas is about. At the very least, I can about guarantee that quaffing a few with Tim will be a very entertaining and enjoyable experience! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ernaehrung/food-smiley-004.gif http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/party/party-smiley-012.gif

Can't argue with that assumption!

"If someone started making platinum picks encrusted with tiny diamonds and selling them for 2 grand, unless they sounded better than anything else, I doubt they'd be popular, just because they were expensive."

Get Taylor Swift to use them on tour with her studded guitar, and 7-16 y/o girls everywhere would be clamoring for them!!

Steve G
Aug-02-2009, 4:54pm
I know a music store in town that gives them away. They have the name of the store and number so it's free ad. My BC TPR60 was 38 and I'm a happy player. I'll get BC thumbpick for guitar, I think they're 60. I use Gibson exH flatpicks on guitar, those are a buck twenty and I love them. Yea, any pick's a lot less than a bow! And look at it this way in Canada. If you flick the pick and it takes out an eye, it's covered!

CES
Aug-02-2009, 4:55pm
. But the hunt will continue. I mean, why not? Aren't we having fun? R/

I think it was Coltrane (I'm decaffeinated and may be confusing this story between he and Lester Young) who was a mouthpiece fiend...dude was always trying new mouthpieces, expensive and cheap, in search of his ultimate tone...he felt like the sax was important, but the player met the instrument at the mouthpiece, and mouthpieces were WAY cheaper, even the 150 to 300 dollar ones, than a new sax...

Not to delve off too deeply, as I'm want to do, I'll just leave it at this...and, remember, I'm a self-proclaimed cheapskate...there's something very personal and sensual (not thinking dirty here) about the connection between a musician and his instrument/the music made by them. I feel that pretty strongly (whether in a good way with my good guitar or when fighting my beater), and I don't have the gift...I can only imagine it's intensified for those who can really play. I want to strengthen that connection...for some the right pick is the way to do that...

Chris Keth
Aug-03-2009, 3:40am
What happened to the 49 cent pick.

You can get picks cheaper than that. Go into most any guitar shop and you'll be offered a free one within 5 minutes.

journeybear
Aug-03-2009, 10:16am
... or buy some strings from Strings & Beyond - you were going to anyway, right? Just specify extra heavy. Otherwise you'll end up giving 'em away to your guitar-playing friends. ;)

onassis
Aug-03-2009, 10:26am
I was just on the Blue Chip site. Hopped over here, and what's the first thread I see?:grin: Wasn't able to pull the trigger, though. Still too much of a cheapskate!

clammo
Aug-03-2009, 11:03am
A while ago I thought the prices seemed outrageous. I tried a lot of picks and couldn't find anything that matched the playability of the large triangle Dunlop Ultex, but they just had TOO MUCH picknoise.

So it took a couple of months of debating it with myself, but I took the step and spent the outrageous amount on the Wegen TF140. I used to always lose picks, and thought I was crazy for making the leap to something so expensive, but let me say it was worth it.

So I spent some months on the Wegens, and didn't lose a single one (of the measly two I started with)

That brings me up until recently where I started all over thinking "but that's A LOT for a pick!" But seeing as how I already conquered my fear of losing expensive picks by never losing track of the Wegens, it helped me in my decision that I could handle a blue chip :)

Then when I saw the CT55, I finally went for it. I figured that it must've been really similar to the TF140, since I think that's what Thile was using before the Blue Chip? Specs seem pretty similar with the bevel and thickness and all that.

I don't know if it's worth the price difference between the Wegen and the Blue chip, but as much as I loved the Wegen, it would slip terribly, even with those holes drilled in there. With the blue chip, I get no slip, with marginally better tone (fuller tone, the Wegen was always a tiny bit too dry) but very similar in all other regards that I thought were perfect before.

I still am afraid to take out my Blue Chip in public though, but now the Wegens feel like "cheap picks" by comparison so I'm a lot more easy going with tossing them in my pockets and all that. My how things change :))

JeffD
Aug-03-2009, 12:08pm
I find the wegen a tad brighter than the blue chip or the red bear. Better in a large jam or performance.

Charley wild
Aug-03-2009, 1:38pm
Quote JeffD:
"The important thing is that we can play together. And if we ever find ourselves playing together, I will personally buy the first round of adult beverages".

:mandosmiley:[/QUOTE]

Hey Jeff, agreed and agreed!:)

(Maybe I can try your BC.):grin:

sgarrity
Aug-03-2009, 2:48pm
I wish I could come up with a product that got as much free publicity as the Blue Chip picks!

BTW....I own three of them and think they are one of the finest accessories available!

Dave Hanson
Aug-04-2009, 12:37am
That's easy sgarrity, start a controversy.

Dave H

jim_n_virginia
Aug-04-2009, 1:09am
I agree that many picks are outrageously priced. I bought a Blue Chip and it did not improve my playing or tone but I have to admit it did glide through the strings better and I liked the feel.

Was it worth $38.00? Yes .... but barely. :mandosmiley:

mandozilla
Aug-04-2009, 3:21am
The most I paid for a pick is...I forgot. It was a Red Bear. It was somewhere in the $25.00 (?) range. I seem to alternate between that and one of those picks we're not supposed to discuss. I bought the one we're not supposed to discuss back in 1969 for about $2.50 I guess. It was from a legit music store...you could do that back then. :cool:

I like the one we're not supposed to discuss a lot but I find the Red Bear seems smoother and moves through/across the strings well...more smoothly. Maybe I should try to polish the one we're not supposed to discuss. :confused:

I tried a comparison today between; A Fender heavy rounded triangle, a Golden Gate, a Dawg, an Ultex, the Red Bear, the pick we're not supposed to discuss and several others. The pick we're not supposed to discuss and the Red Bear give the best tone and speed IMHO. I haven't yet tried a Blue Chip or a Wegen but I will...the quest for the best pick is worth it to me. :grin:

~o):mandosmiley:

AlanN
Aug-04-2009, 5:08am
I found a OWNSTD on the ground at the Delaware BG Fest many years ago. There was one sad mando picker walking around that day.

I have 2 BC, I think a 50 and a 60. They have remained in their little plastic sleeves.

fatt-dad
Aug-04-2009, 7:38am
a few comments: 1) Is there a thumbpick version?; 2) For $35.00 you can not quite buy 15 minutes of my time (o.k. here come the consultant jokes); 3) Sure, I like them, but my wife would go nuts if I bought one - face it, it's you single guys that are buying them all, isn't it?

f-d

Gerry Cassidy
Aug-04-2009, 7:50am
a few comments: 1) Is there a thumbpick version?; 2) For $35.00 you can not quite buy 15 minutes of my time (o.k. here come the consultant jokes); 3) Sure, I like them, but my wife would go nuts if I bought one - face it, it's you single guys that are buying them all, isn't it?

f-d

I own 2, am not single, and yes, they are a topic of playful ridicule at times. My wife didn't go nuts, but I did get a couple rolls of the eyes... :))

I like them. They do make me a better player in the sense that I am able to pull much better tone from the instrument. They are worth the ribbing I receive.:mandosmiley:

clintross
Aug-04-2009, 7:51am
I just use Dunlop 1.0 but i can tell the difference between them and the bluechips just not a $50 difference

journeybear
Aug-04-2009, 8:00am
... I tried a comparison today between; A Fender heavy rounded triangle, a Golden Gate, a Dawg, an Ultrex, the Red Bear, the pick we're not supposed to discuss and several others ...

Personally, I think you have too many picks. Generally speaking, one only needs one, and perhaps a spare should that one go missing. There are studies that show that when faced with too many choices, a large percentage of people become confused to the point of shutting down. I'd be happy to take one off your hands, if having so many makes things difficult for you. ;) And then you might stop discussing "the pick we're not supposed to discuss," clearly a symptom of confusion. :grin:

Just tryin' to help. :)

Elliot Luber
Aug-04-2009, 8:19am
I like the traditional-shaped Red Bear feaux tortis with the holes, though that one is $20 (hey at least it ships free), and I like the Proplec 1.5, which I tried because Jim Richter uses them and they're almost as good (just a little smaller), and I like the Dunlop Tortex 1.0, which is cheaper still and has a good sensitive feel to it. Haven't tried the Wegens yet.

I can't stand the Dawg or Golden Gate picks, they're too fat and give me no volume compared to other picks. I only use them when I lose the others and am awaiting a new shipment. I try not to lose the Red Bear picks!

My wife wants a new couch, which means I'll soon be able to cut the old one open and find a few of my old picks -- including a Red Bear (almost worth the new couch!), that fell down the side.

Vinny Smith sent me a sample V chip. It's smooth and very fast, but a little noisy. My son enjoys it with his Fender bass.

Caleb
Aug-04-2009, 9:05am
A year or two ago I was lucky enough to stumble upon the holy grail of picks, those that we cannot and will not discuss because of the endangered nature of their source. I bought 6 if I recall. I do like the way they play and sound. They do not however sound all that much better than the Golden Gate picks that I buy for less than a buck each in bulk. Chances are the only person that hears a marked difference in the pick you're playing on is you. That doesn't mean I'll never buy another tricked out pick, it just means I got certain results from my unscientific tests.

I bought a "holy grail" pick myself a couple years ago. Gave $25 for it. Used it. Shrugged. Sold it. And went back to my Fender heavy "clown barf" pick that I've had for over 10 years. And I think I might have actually stolen it once in a guitar shop when I asked to use a pick and forgot to give it back.

~o)

Andrew DeMarco
Aug-04-2009, 9:11am
I did splurge the extra 1.2% the original cost of my Collings for the accessory most influential to its sound -- a pick, a Blue Chip.

And I don't regret it. To be honest it's the first pick I don't have trouble keeping track of...

Dan Hoover
Aug-04-2009, 9:42am
i have at least a dozen fender picks from high school dayz...say's how much i'm playing/practicing....same mandolin too though...will a new pick really make me play better???

this goes back to the first couple post's..
:grin:Quote " There's no way I could afford these boutique picks. When I finish a show, picks are scattered on the floor like autumn leaves. I'd be bound to loose $100 worth a week. If someone were to supply me with them for an endorsement, sure, but otherwise, I got a living to make. I buy picks by the gross. Seriously. " End Quote...i heard you buy mandolin's by the gross too???:)):))...all in fun...

drink no wine before it's time, favorite wine lately...Bolla Sangiovese...very nice,very affordable...

JeffD
Aug-04-2009, 9:55am
I wish I could come up with a product that got as much free publicity as the Blue Chip picks!

BTW....I own three of them and think they are one of the finest accessories available!

"Quality is the best advertising." I forget where I heard that.

jim_n_virginia
Aug-04-2009, 10:38am
Personally, I think you have too many picks. Generally speaking, one only needs one, and perhaps a spare should that one go missing. There are studies that show that when faced with too many choices, a large percentage of people become confused to the point of shutting down.

I think the Goverment should come out with a "Cash for Pluckers" program where if you trade in your old cheap pick which are usually massed produced overseas you get $15.00 towards a high dollar USA made pick of your choice! And DOUBLE if you trade in one of them bad old picks on the endangered list! :grin:

Greg H.
Aug-04-2009, 10:45am
I used to be a hard core fender extra heavy fan. I'd buy 30 of them for $10.00 and not worry about it. I'd keep some in my pocket. . . .but unfortunately my keys were also in said pocket. . ..and therefore the picks would disappear. I decided to try a Red Bear. . ..and love it. The shape is pretty much like the standard Fender tear drop. . . but the tone is much more like an endangered species. But, since I spent $25.00 for this pick rather than $0.30 for the Fender it NEVER stayed in my pocket but rather in the mandolin strings.

Result: I bought the one pick for $25 and had for 3 years. . . .with the resulting value of roughly $5.00 thus far (since I would otherwise have bought roughly 90 picks over the previous 3 years).

Yeah, yeah, I know. . . .I could have just kept a Fender extra heavy in the strings . . .but I really like the Red Bear much better so I'm sticking to my justfications!!! :grin:

mandowilli
Aug-04-2009, 12:04pm
If this where the "Beer Cafe" would I be a fool to spend $15.00 on a six pack of Rogue Brutal Bitter?

JEStanek
Aug-04-2009, 12:13pm
I've spent more on a single case of Young's Double Chocolate Stout than on a few Bluechips... However, I might like the Young's better... Tough call.

Jamie

Ignatius
Aug-04-2009, 12:25pm
If this where the "Beer Cafe" would I be a fool to spend $15.00 on a six pack of Rogue Brutal Bitter?
To make this comparison really work, you would have to be choosing the beer knowing that while many people like it, it might not really turn out to be beer for you when it arrives--but might instead be flat soda. Also, because of the way you drink beer, this particular beer might prove either to have no alcohol content or be the equivalent of bathtub gin; likewise, it might taste the exact same as the Miller Genuine Draft you already have in the frig.

Oh, and lastly, this beer would have to cost about $60.00 a bottle (or more) if you want to do a cost comparison in your analogy. On the positive side, though, if it works, this beer would taste absolutely perfect, and the bottle would never be empty ever again (unless you lost it or broke it).

Just addin' a bit of perspective. . . .

Dan Hoover
Aug-04-2009, 12:36pm
Oh, and lastly, this beer would have to cost about $60.00 a bottle (or more) if you want to do a cost comparison in your analogy. On the positive side, though, if it works, this beer would taste absolutely perfect, and the bottle would never be empty ever again (unless you lost it or broke it).

Just addin' a bit of perspective. . . .

wait a minute....your saying $60 a bottle?? taste perfect and it never goes empty??? :disbelief: your like Willy Wonka...

Ignatius
Aug-04-2009, 12:52pm
wait a minute....your saying $60 a bottle?? taste perfect and it never goes empty??? :disbelief: your like Willy Wonka...
We aim to please around here! ;) Of course, I do have to add that you can't share your bottle with a friend; only one person can drink from the bottle at any given time: no plate-sharing (or bottle-splitting) in the Wonka factory.

If it really is that good, your friend should get his or her own bottle.

And please don't irritate the Oompa-Loompas.

foldedpath
Aug-04-2009, 1:21pm
3) Sure, I like them, but my wife would go nuts if I bought one - face it, it's you single guys that are buying them all, isn't it?
Nope, my S.O. spends something like $80 every time she changes strings on one of her fiddles. And her fiddle bows need periodic re-hairing. And there's the annual or semi-annual visit by the piano tuner.

Mandolin players get off so easy compared to some other instruments, it seems silly to complain about a $35 pick, if it works for 'ya.

Also, it helps to live with another musician. :)

Paul Kotapish
Aug-04-2009, 1:33pm
Just a quick observation about testing and comparing picks to determine their value for one's own playing . . .

You can't really determine what value a pick has to offer until you have used it for many hours under a variety of challenging performing and recording conditions.

A pick that might seem ideal in the front parlor or in a listening room at a music store might disappoint two hours into a noisy three-hour bar gig or dance. And a pick that works just fine in such raucous conditions might sound lousy in front of a matched pair of Neumann KM-84s in a quiet recording studio. When the chips are down, so to speak, a pick that makes one feel most comfortable and facilitates a good performance is worth its weight in whatever precious material comes out to $35.

For many of the great players I know, the search for ideal tone and touch is an ongoing quest with constantly shifting parameters determined by different instruments, strings, setup, microphones, and . . . picks. For folks playing with that level of attention to detail, very small differences can make a big difference to their satisfaction.

Even at $35, the pick is among the cheapest of the variables in that quest.

FWIW, I have a BlueChip TAD50 that sounds and feels great. I haven't determined yet whether it's the ultimate pick for me or not, but it's definitely a keeper.

RSomers
Aug-04-2009, 1:36pm
Add my name to the list of people complaining about the cost who ended up purchasing one, with a return promise if I didn't like...I never returned it. Its a great pick.
Too bad they have to be so expensive, but I do know of the material and the cost to surface them has to be radical.
I guess I just need to learn to not lose picks so much, and enjoy, hopefully, the one I am able to keep around. In this case the product quality outweighed the cost.

Duane Graves
Aug-04-2009, 1:41pm
Hi, Friends, me again. The longer this post goes the more senseable the answers and reasons become. Like I said, the Blue Chip is an obvious great pick as a matter of fact I look at them on line and drool at, for instance, the TPR50 (1.25mm) as I think that would be a dandy for me personally but, man, $50 Canadian drives me nuts...because IT'S JUST A PICK.

Mark my words, there will be a $75 Mandolin Pick out on the market by December 1 this year all ready for us 'tone-searhin' mandoliners. We are ever searching but never able to come to the true sound that we think we have in our heads. Hey, I'm like that too, but in so doing we are being and going to be more so, bombarded with more outrageous prices.

Until we say, hey, blue chip or whoever (wegen maybe...others) you have a good product but you are taking advantage of me with your numbing prices. Come back to earth by cutting your prices at least in half.

All the best, Capo

250sc
Aug-04-2009, 1:51pm
Do you know what the materials cost?

Mike Bunting
Aug-04-2009, 2:15pm
Do you know what the materials cost?
Something like $1300 a square foot, take a run through the the thread (I know it's a daunting task :) ), it has come up before.
To capo, no one is taking advantage of you, quit complaining, you sound like a Canadian! :)
P.S. the last is only for us Canucks.

fatt-dad
Aug-04-2009, 3:34pm
UPDATE: I went to their web page. They do make a thumbpick ($40.00)! Re: My wife - she'd likely not care, now that I've quit smoking $6.00/day of cigars and all. . . I bet it'd be a head-scratcher for her though!

I may have to try these some more and see if it's something I want to mess with.

f-d

Duane Graves
Aug-04-2009, 5:07pm
To capo, no one is taking advantage of you, quit complaining, you sound like a Canadian!

....and you, sir, sound sarcastic and rude. Get off your high horse cowboy. Last time I checked I found we still live in a free society. I have an opinion which obviously differs from yours.....so deal with it sweetheart....cheers.

--Capo

Jim Broyles
Aug-04-2009, 5:09pm
There has only been one rude post in this thread today, and Mike's wasn't it.

ntbols
Aug-04-2009, 5:11pm
Mark my words, there will be a $75 Mandolin Pick out on the market by December 1 this year all ready for us 'tone-searhin' mandoliners.

You want to bet on that? Friendly, of course.

Mike Bunting
Aug-04-2009, 5:12pm
"...and you, sir, sound sarcastic and rude. Get off your high horse cowboy. Last time I checked I found we still live in a free society. I have an opinion which obviously differs from yours.....so deal with it sweetheart....cheers."

You were far too busy accusing people of trying to rip you off which I find rude, and you clearly didn't take the time to read the thread that has been going on for more than a year. You clearly missed the smiley at the end. I think maybe your capo is too tight.

gregjones
Aug-04-2009, 5:57pm

Me, X2. Neither is my favorite.

Who has Blue Chips on sale for $30?

gregjones
Aug-04-2009, 6:12pm
Chances are the only person that hears a marked difference in the pick you're playing on is you.

;)

Mike Bunting
Aug-04-2009, 6:17pm
Quote:Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton
Chances are the only person that hears a marked difference in the pick you're playing on is you.

That's so true, but who listens to you the most but you, so you gotta please yourself. Seems ironic to have multiple long threads on such a subjective subject though.

gregjones
Aug-04-2009, 6:28pm
[QUOTE=Mike Bunting;697232]That's so true, but who listens to you the most but you, so you gotta please yourself.[QUOTE]

:)):)):))

The best part about my $150 pick sampling spree is I found out that I'm a cheap date.:redface:

swampstomper
Aug-04-2009, 7:10pm
My wife - she'd likely not care, now that I've quit smoking $6.00/day of cigars and all.

Fatt-dad, you make a good implication here. Money can be spent on many things -- just ask yourself, can I cut my budget by $35 (or $75, or $150 or wherever PAS takes us...)? Even better if it's a bad habit like smoking or secretly going to the Hannah Montana movie fifteen times... I still remember in high-school economics when the teacher held up a dollar bill and said "every time you give out one of these, you are voting" for the product, service, etc.

Miked
Aug-04-2009, 7:43pm
Hi, Friends, me again. The longer this post goes the more senseable the answers and reasons become.

Capo, you do realize that there's the original Blue Chip Pick thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39347&highlight=Blue+Chip), don't you?

This is about the 100th time around the block, but I guess it still has some entertainment value.:popcorn:

mandolirius
Aug-04-2009, 7:49pm
....and you, sir, sound sarcastic and rude. Get off your high horse cowboy. Last time I checked I found we still live in a free society. I have an opinion which obviously differs from yours.....so deal with it sweetheart....cheers.

--Capo

Your opinion has nothing to do with it. You made the claim that you are being taken advantage of because a product is selling for a higher price than you are willing to pay. If you don't want to spring for a BC, don't. You and your money are safe. There are a gazillion types of picks out there for you to use instead. BTW, I laughed outright at the thirty-five dollar price when these picks first hit the market. I now own three. It's a bit of a catch-22 but you really have to try them before you can know if the product is worth it. Fortunately, Mathew at BC has a generous return policy so no one is stuck with a $35 pick they don't think is any better than their Dunlop or Fender, which probably cost under a buck. Now tell me again how you are being taken advantage of?

man dough nollij
Aug-04-2009, 8:23pm

Andrew DeMarco
Aug-04-2009, 8:25pm
Hey guys and gals...

Most expensive pics in the world --

made of 4 billion year old METEORS discovered in Africa in 1836, the export of which was banned by the local government -- still scarred by 'Widmanstatten lines' from their 'frigid travel through space' (http://www.starpicsaustralia.com.au/)

The price? Five thousand buckeroos.

The front page of the site makes some pretty outrageous claims including "TOTALLY FRICTIONLESS" ... which violates some basic laws of physics... haha "teflon pick on teflon strings at absolute zero...."

So.... if you think a 35 dollars pick is bad... try one almost 150 times that price..

Duane Graves
Aug-04-2009, 8:52pm
Capo, you do realize that there's the original Blue Chip Pick thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39347&highlight=Blue+Chip), don't you?

To be honest when I first posted this I did not know of the long standing blue chip thread as I'm new to this site. Around the 100 mark I think I saw the other post and, well, then "my capo got to tight" (with a smile MB) and everything went south after that. So for sure it must be boring to most but then, the length of this thread is interesting if nothing else. I think its over and bingo there are another five posts.

Sorry for the oversight everyone but then.....maybe, and one might be able to say 'obviously' (because of all the chatter) more time was needed for it.

--Capo

Mike Bunting
Aug-04-2009, 8:55pm
Namaste.

Duane Graves
Aug-04-2009, 9:13pm
Right back at you, Mike.....with peace.....

--Capo (loosened)

Dan Hoover
Aug-05-2009, 8:45am
ok...so....can we get back to talking about endless beer in a bottle now???? guy's.....ladies?????helloo.....:whistling:

Roger Kunkel
Aug-05-2009, 9:26am
Speaking of Dawg, he quite likes th BC picks as well.

journeybear
Aug-05-2009, 10:24am
Wha-a-a-a-at? He doesn't use Dawg picks???

Me neither - I need a point, hence Dunlop 1.5 or 2 (plus they're purple) or Fender extra heavy. When they wear down to the shape of a Dawg pick, I retire 'em. ;

Duane Graves
Aug-05-2009, 10:45am
Speaking of Dawg, he quite likes th BC picks as well.

possibly he can afford them....whoops....forgot, this thread is dead...

David M.
Aug-07-2009, 2:15pm
I won't pay alot for a pick. But then again, I drink PBR...

CES
Aug-07-2009, 2:18pm
Nothing wrong with PBR...my favorite pizza joint of all time (Andolini's in Charleston, SC) used to have PBR on tap...a big honkin' pizza and a pitcher of PBR, and good times were had by all!!!

JB, I'm impressed you can play with a 2mm pick...1.5 is about as thick as I can take it and maintain good volume/tone...

onassis
Aug-10-2009, 7:44am
Will this thread ever die? I'm on the edge of my seat!:popcorn:

wogster
Aug-10-2009, 8:09am
Will this thread ever die? I'm on the edge of my seat!:popcorn:

Probably not, kind of amazing that a thread managed to hold topic for 130 messages though. I'm new around here, doesn't how you play mean something when it comes to pick selection. A professional player or competition player would find it much easier to justify spending $50 on a pick, then a duffer who just goofs around with his guitar playing buddies. The instrument probably matters too, if your mando was $25,000 it's a lot easier to justify a $50 pick, then if you picked up your instrument at a garage sale for $25.

Maybe I'm a little off on my thinking here, I work nights, and my day is now done :sleepy:

Shelagh Moore
Aug-10-2009, 8:22am
OK... I've finally succumbed to the arguments put forward! After 48 years of buying cheapskate picks I've ordered a couple of Wegens (admittedly not as expensive as some, e.g. BC, RB, beloved of players here but still hand-crafted). I'll report back whether I find them better than my normal 1mm or 1.2mm Kasho celluloids.

journeybear
Aug-10-2009, 10:25am
... JB, I'm impressed you can play with a 2mm pick...1.5 is about as thick as I can take it and maintain good volume/tone...

To be perfectly honest, that 2mm went somewhere sometime (I know not where, I know not when) and the 1.5mm has been my go-to pick for a coupla years. It's been played so much the point is worn down to where the pick is almost as triangular as a Dawg, at which point I'll retire it, place it in the nightstand lamp base by my Dawg pick, ;) and start another one. I've got a Dunlop 1.1mm staring at me from right by the monitor.

You might judge by this that I'm not too fussy, and you're right. I like my picks stiff and pointy and that's about it. I used to use Fender extra heavy (about 1mm) until I discovered the Dunlops, and I was attracted to them as much by the color as the increased thickness (I'm partial to purple). The 1.1mm is a pretty hideous shade of blue, so I dunno ...

I've done no research on the relaton between thickness and volume or tone; I'm mostly interested in instantaneous response, which I think is best served by a stiff pick. If I want a somewhat slower response or softer sound, I'll hold the pick somewhat loosely. When my late lamented F-12 was stolen :crying: along with a genuine and legal tortoiseshell pick and all my extras, my first replacement pick was a bit of broken scallop shell that I smoothed down by scraping on a stone. That was thin but stiff, and worked just fine, though it did make a considerable amount of pick noise, and was probably hurting the strings. Fortunately I was able to dig around in my stuff and find the 1.5mm, and here we are today. :mandosmiley:

In case I hadn't mentioned, there is currently no music shop downtown in Key West, and the only one left on the island is geared mostly toward band instruments, rather lacking in such niceties as picks. Youse guys with music stores near ya don't know how lucky you are!

Charley wild
Aug-10-2009, 10:41am
Nothing wrong with PBR...my favorite pizza joint of all time (Andolini's in Charleston, SC) used to have PBR on tap...a big honkin' pizza and a pitcher of PBR, and good times were had by all!!!

JB, I'm impressed you can play with a 2mm pick...1.5 is about as thick as I can take it and maintain good volume/tone...

I swore I wouldn't get into anymore "Blue Chip" arguements and I won't. But comment on picks I will! I agree with CES and Journeybear. I bought a couple ProPlecs the other day (1.5mm). That's the absolute limit in thickness for me. In fact it's been an adjustment to play with one THAT thick. I can do it okay but I'm still more comfortable with about a 1.0mm. I use Fender's but I see a few of you like the Dunlops so I'm going to give them a try. I'm a purple man myself, Journey bear!:)

Hey CES, PBR is great! A best kept secret if there ever was one! :grin:

journeybear
Aug-10-2009, 10:52am
If I may hijack the thread for a moment ...

Known as "America's Dairyland," Wisconsin is also "America's Breweryland," as glacial waters and German immigrants led to the founding of over 1000 small breweries. I learned this while going to school in Wisconsin in the 70s, where our campus bar/coffeehouse (called The Coughyhouse) had four taps. One was designated for general mass-produced beer like Schlitz or PBR, one for imports (rotating amongst Guinness, Bass, Harp, etc etc) and two for Wisconsin microbreweries (before there was such a designation) like Point, Potosi, Leinenkugel, etc etc. Low overhead meant low prices, and a beer was a quarter, pitcher $1.25. :disbelief: Yeah, it was thirty-odd years ago, but after graduating and learning what real world prices were, my consumption experienced a rather quick drop-off. There was also a sizable family-run brewery 20 miles west called Huber, and a case of beer, after bottle return, cost $2.00. That was real house-painting beer! ;)

PBR isn't distributed down here, nor Schlitz, that I've seen. I was surprised to see Yuengling, knowing and loving it for its association with PA and years of weekends quaffing it and jamming at Philly Folk Fest. Turns out there's a brewery in Tampa, and a lot of bars here have it on tap.

All right .. you may have your thread back now ... ;)

GTG
Aug-10-2009, 1:03pm
If you pay $5 for a beer at a bar, you can think of it as 1/7 of a BlueChip. Of course, here in Calgary, a beer at most bars is more like $7. But then again BC's cost $50, so it works out the same.

I really just wanted a chance to post to this important thread.

mandroid
Aug-10-2009, 1:15pm
economics 101, If the unsold inventory builds up enough, in order to have the commodity shipping again,
the price will seek a lower level.

Charley wild
Aug-10-2009, 2:50pm
If you pay $5 for a beer at a bar, you can think of it as 1/7 of a BlueChip. Of course, here in Calgary, a beer at most bars is more like $7. But then again BC's cost $50, so it works out the same.

I really just wanted a chance to post to this important thread.

Hey man, we're glad to have you! This is an important thread. After all beer and picks are heady business. (That's bad!)
Boy, do you make me feel old. I became of legal age at eighteen (NY) in 1959.
At the local bar you had draft beer for 10 or 15 cents. A bottle of "local" beer (Genny, Utica Club, etc.) was 20 cents and national brands were 25 cents. That's why I only spend pocket change on picks! After all, they used to be only 5 cents apiece. Three for a dollar is big money!:))

Tim2723
Aug-11-2009, 1:54am
I like thin picks. Nothing against thick ones, but picks are, after all, personal things. If BC and the others made thin picks, say 0.5 mm, would they have the same advantages? Would I see an improvement from the materials they use, or is it all about being thick and specially shaped?

Ted Eschliman
Aug-11-2009, 6:43am
economics 101, If the unsold inventory builds up enough, in order to have the commodity shipping again,
the price will seek a lower level.

AKA: Price Elasticity of Demand (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_elasticity_of_demand)

FWIW

250sc
Aug-11-2009, 9:24am
Pay attention to the price of oil right now. Price is going up on speculation that demand will go up in the future even though there is a glut at the moment. Demand is down and price is going up.

Econ. 101 doesn't always show the whole picture.

journeybear
Aug-11-2009, 9:53am
Here's something I hadn't thought of - what would Bill use? Check out this article (great read anyway) Monroe's Gouged Mandolin Headplate To Be Sold (http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001107.shtml), scroll down to the second picture, and tell me what in the world is stuck in the strings there? :confused:

JeffD
Aug-11-2009, 10:07am
The instrument probably matters too, if your mando was $25,000 it's a lot easier to justify a $50 pick, then if you picked up your instrument at a garage sale for $25.

:

A $25 mandolin is not a bargain, it is the first step in a life time of expenditures. :)) Its like a free air conditioner, or the preverbial free puppy.

Sometimes it is a lot cheaper to just walk away. Or, more importantly, once you have decided not to walk away, don't fool yourself, your gonna spend money.

allenhopkins
Aug-11-2009, 4:51pm
A $25 mandolin is not a bargain, it is the first step in a life time of expenditures. :)) Its like a free air conditioner, or the preverbial free puppy.

My $25 Strad-O-Lin resents your insinuations, Buster! Well, I did spend $100 getting two top cracks repaired, and $50 on a case, but even with all the after-marketing, I still got a bargain that's served as my main "beater" for nearly 20 years.

JeffD's probably right 95% of the time, but there's that magic 5%...

jim_n_virginia
Aug-11-2009, 7:43pm
I was slouched back in an easy chair working on Rawhide trying to figure out different variation heck just trying to play it better and...

my pick slipped out of my hand and my new BC pick fell in an F hole.

I SPENT 20 MINUTES doing the mando shake trying to get that pick out of there! :))

All I kept thinking was "OMG thats a $38.00 pick!!!"

If it was one of my regular cheapos I might be tempted to just leave it in the mandolin! LOL!

But at least I got it out. cwilson's daughter DROPPED his BC pick when we were out on his deck and it slipped down inbetween the cracks and is inside the deck somewhere! LOL!

We know where it is at just can't get to it. The boards are nailed down not screwed so it would tear up the boards to get at the pick! LOL!

And so there it sits now under the deck.... waiting for someone to rescue it! LOL!

JeffD
Aug-11-2009, 11:29pm
My $25 Strad-O-Lin resents your insinuations, Buster! Well, I did spend $100 getting two top cracks repaired, and $50 on a case, but even with all the after-marketing, I still got a bargain that's served as my main "beater" for nearly 20 years.

What? No strap? :grin:

Carolie
Aug-11-2009, 11:39pm
The debate about picks reminds me of the quest audiophiles go through for the ultimate speakers. That's something that gets into some bucks.

I'm guessing I have to be more particular about picks than the average person because of the spinal cord injury. I've found I can hold onto a Wegen M150 and a V-Pick Ultra Lite Large, but most of the others I've tried just slip out of my hands.

I have contacted Blue Chip and told them about my condition and asked them for a recommendation, so we'll see what they say. It's a shame I can't get my health insurance to pay for it as Durable Medical Equipment!

Carolyn

allenhopkins
Aug-11-2009, 11:53pm
What? No strap? :grin:

You'll laugh (well, your smiley actually did already), but I went to a local craft store, purchased a piece of scrap leather for less than a dollar, punched a couple holes in it, and called it a strap. It's now migrated to my Gibson Army/Navy Custom, and the Strad-O-Lin is sporting a length of leather thong, probably 50¢ worth, from the same craft store.

Biggest investment was a decent hardshell case, after the tan canvas bag that came with the Strad-O-Lin was certified unrepairable. The Strad's played innumerable jams and sing-arounds, been recorded on two CD's, and serenaded a few festivals, including the crowds waiting to get into the White House Easter egg roll. Best $25 I ever spent.

journeybear
Aug-12-2009, 12:44am
The debate about picks reminds me of the quest audiophiles go through for the ultimate speakers. That's something that gets into some bucks ...

I was thinking something very similar the other day. I remember when audiophile magazines started touting the virtues of high end speaker cables. They had comparison charts with ratings and everything. One advocate propounded his belief that every other component of a hi-fi system was state of the art, and the only thing left to improve was the wires. My take was that they'd gone around the bend and have never looked at another such magazine.

I am blissful in my ignorance of the effect a high end pick can have on one's sound. Maybe someday I'll check one out, but I don't get it. I don't hear any difference even between a regular pick and a heavy or extra heavy one, but I feel a difference, and use extra heavy ones because of the quick response, not any difference in sound. Thinner picks produce more pick noise, and that I hear, and that will be transmitted by a microphone, but I don't think this will show up through a pickup.

I'm all for progress, and tweaking every detail of a mandolin's capabilities to achieve optimal performance. And maybe the wizards at Wegen, Blue Chip, Red Bear, etc have got something there that I don't know about. The bottom line for me, though, has always been musicianship, and whatever pick you use you still have to play your instrument well to make it sound its best. :mandosmiley:

JeffD
Aug-12-2009, 6:36am
I am blissful in my ignorance of the effect a high end pick can have on one's sound. :

I have not seen a better summary than this:

http://jazzmando.com/tips/archives/000718.shtml

journeybear
Aug-12-2009, 2:51pm
That is good - thanks for sharing. Ted really took some time to clarify the different characteristics or picks and how variations influence the sound. I would like to hear some sound clips for comparison, but that's all right. I may spend a little time putting a bit more bevel on my Dunlop just to see - that's the aspect that appealed most to me. :mandosmiley:

JeffD
Aug-13-2009, 2:02pm
That is good - thanks for sharing. Ted really took some time to clarify the different characteristics or picks and how variations influence the sound. :

Yea. Its one thing to say, as I often do: "Hey try a bunch of picks and see what you like." Its quite another to have it explained what to listen for.

Shelagh Moore
Aug-13-2009, 6:07pm
Well my Wegen TF 100s arrived and, I have to say, I like them very much indeed... even better than my faithful Kashos. They sound a little different to the celluloids but I can get a good range of tones and good volume with them and they feel good in the hand.

Not sure I can afford BCs but I'm working my way up... certainly a worthwhile €15 for two.

wogster
Aug-13-2009, 10:14pm

Sometimes it is a lot cheaper to just walk away. Or, more importantly, once you have decided not to walk away, don't fool yourself, your gonna spend money.

Had a free kitten once that cost $850 in vet bills, in the first year... Although if you did get a $25 mandolin, and it was in decent condition, paying $45 for a pick would seem kinda stupid, but if you got a fully custom hand built mandolin that cost $25,000, then $45 for a pick would seem very reasonable.

mando on the side
Aug-14-2009, 12:40am
I recently got a blue chip. It brought out frequencies my mandolin did not know it had. It opened up like it has never opened up before and I've had the mando for at least 3 years now, with at least an hour's worth of playing every day. The sound is warmer, crisper, chunkier, thunkier, louder. It was the best $35 I've spent!

JeffD
Aug-14-2009, 10:11am
Although if you did get a $25 mandolin, and it was in decent condition, paying $45 for a pick would seem kinda stupid, but if you got a fully custom hand built mandolin that cost $25,000, then $45 for a pick would seem very reasonable.

OK you get your $25 mandolin in decent (no structural issues) condition. Of course that is a real, real great deal. Likely needs a new set of strings. ($6)

You take it to the shop and get it set up, neck and bridge adjusted to get lower the action at the 12 fret. ($75) Intonation is now great, sound great. Your not gonna carry a mandolin in a sack right, so a case from Musicians Friend or where ever. ($30). And you need a strap. ($10)

So our $25 mandolin is now up to $146. And since we aren't talking about a previous mandolin you may already have (whose cost might justify the high end pick), you probably need a tuner. ($30).

So we are into this for $176, (which on the face of it would justify the cost of a high end pick), and we haven't even considered such things as an instrument stand to hold the thing while you get coffe, some tunebooks, a music stand, a metronome.

OK we won't count an arm rest, tone guard, or damping grommets, microphone? amplifier?

Then there are lessons? No? OK how about weekend festivals, week long mandolin camps, gasoline to and from the jam session and fast food or stopping at the diner on the way home. None of those expenses would happen if you walked away from the bargain mandolin.

Point is, that $25 mandolin that comes into your life is gonna cost you a whole lot. Compared to which the high end pick is peanuts. If one is concerned about the cost of the pick, one would have to have to question the propriety of the whole musical endeavor, and that piece of dutch apple pie at the diner every week after the jam.

A fellow could go broke saving money on picks. :mandosmiley:

Charley wild
Aug-14-2009, 11:25am
Jeff, are you still dispensing perverted logic over here??:)):)):))

journeybear
Aug-14-2009, 12:27pm
A boat is a hole in the water you throw your money into. :grin:

An instrument is a hole in the silence you throw your money into. :))

Maybe in smaller quantities, but still ... :whistling:

300win
Aug-14-2009, 12:29pm
I recently got a blue chip. It brought out frequencies my mandolin did not know it had. It opened up like it has never opened up before and I've had the mando for at least 3 years now, with at least an hour's worth of playing every day. The sound is warmer, crisper, chunkier, thunkier, louder. It was the best $35 I've spent!

I'll second that ! Never in all my 40+ years of playing have I found one single item that enhances the tone of a instrument. It worked on my mandolins, it worked on my guitars. Really until I tried the BC pick I was as skeptical as thay come, I thought no way is a pick made of any material going to be better than tortise, of which I have some very old ones, but man was I proven wrong. I have a 50 for my mandos and a 40 for my guitars. I will be getting more BC's, not because the ones I have are wearing, on the contrary they have not worn at all, but because I would hate to lose the ones I have, so I'm getting more just in case that does happen. I don't feel that $35 is such a streach to play for something that makes your instrument sound it's best, and on top of that the BC is the only pick I've ever held that did not want to slide around in my hand. All others that I've had the point I begin playing with on a tune I would end up with a differant point. That does not happen with the BC, the point you begin with is the point you will end with, no slipping and sliding at all. The ultimate pick to hold. The ultimate pick in my opinion period !

JeffD
Aug-14-2009, 12:53pm
Jeff, are you still dispensing perverted logic over here??:)):)):))

I know I know. Its that new artificial sweetener I put in my coffee. It affects my thinking. For example: A couple of weeks ago I fertilized my front lawn, and now I am complaining that I have to mow it again. :))

Steve G
Aug-14-2009, 1:00pm
I have to agree with 300win 300%! BTW, I sat on the fence for a year watching the thread on BC's get bigger. I can only imagine the cost and time that went into designing these pics. I noticed that right out of the envelope. No problem with the $35. Best mandolin pick I've ever used. I still like my $1.25 Gibson EXH teardrop for guitar though.

300win
Aug-14-2009, 1:38pm
I have to agree with 300win 300%! BTW, I sat on the fence for a year watching the thread on BC's get bigger. I can only imagine the cost and time that went into designing these pics. I noticed that right out of the envelope. No problem with the $35. Best mandolin pick I've ever used. I still like my $1.25 Gibson EXH teardrop for guitar though.

Steve you shopuld try a 40 or the new 35 that he has for guitar, I believe you would like the results. I always used a Clayton 1.20mm on guitar until I got my BC 40, a world of differance in the tone/volume/playability/overall sound.