PDA

View Full Version : Cohen Quartet

Dave Cohen
Jul-30-2009, 11:28pm
A friend of mine took some nice photos of some of my instruments for an article that American Lutherie is doing on me. I compressed a photo of the quartet for posting here. From left to right, the instruments are an A mandocello, a C# octave mandolin, a two-point oval hole mandola, and a slotted headstock classical A mandolin.

http://www.Cohenmando.com

Jill McAuley
Jul-30-2009, 11:41pm
Beautiful work there!

Cheers,
Jill

Fretbear
Jul-31-2009, 12:26am
Very nice mandocello....

Ken Olmstead
Jul-31-2009, 12:29am
Just wrap 'em up, I'll take them all!! Nice family portrait!

Gerry Cassidy
Jul-31-2009, 6:02am
Oh...My...Word...! and I am only 20 minutes away from your shop... this is not good! :)

They all look pretty darn amazing. Wonderful work, Dr. Cohen!

Skip Kelley
Jul-31-2009, 6:28am
Nice looking quartet!!

acruzn
Jul-31-2009, 6:49am
Dr Dave,

those are real nice looking and i bet they sound great! i detect 3 redwood tops, what is the slotted headstock mandolin top?

out of curiousity, why a slotted mandolin headstock? could it be that this mando is toned to favor classical music?

angel

Dale Ludewig
Jul-31-2009, 6:51am
Beautiful.

JEStanek
Jul-31-2009, 7:12am
Very nice portrait. Lovely.

Jamie

Randi Gormley
Jul-31-2009, 8:59am
I never really understood the attraction of the scroll and points, but this did it for me. They're beautiful.

Jake Wildwood
Jul-31-2009, 10:49am
Very cool.

RichM
Jul-31-2009, 11:44am
As long as we're talking Cohens, thought I'd share this photo of my C#... fantastic mando!

Rick Turner
Jul-31-2009, 8:26pm
You may compress the photo, but please don't compress the gorgeous instruments!

Bill Halsey
Aug-01-2009, 10:47pm
Thanks for posting your beautiful and interesting instruments, Dave. I'd love to try that 2-pt!

Dfyngravity
Aug-02-2009, 5:47pm
That classical A is a special mandolin. I was floored when I played....just an incredible sounding mandolin.

Charles E.
Aug-02-2009, 7:17pm
Dr. Dave, what is a C# octave mandolin? Nice quartet, any chance of a video of them being played together some time in the future?

Bill Snyder
Aug-02-2009, 8:28pm
C# is the designation, such as an A-style, F-style and C#-style.
I believe there are a few other luthiers that use that designation.

Dave Cohen
Aug-07-2009, 9:49pm
I've been out of town since 08/01/'09.

Re "C#": I can't take any credit for the origin of that term. Seems to me that I got it from either Bill Bussman or from Mike Kemnitzer. I don't remember which, but I'm sure that they and possibly others were using that terminology long before I got to it. It is a somewhat whimsical term for a mandolin family instruyment that is halfway in ornamental shape between and "A" and an "F" style instrument...., as in A, B, C, C#, D, E, F, i.e., using western "standard" musical notation as an analogy. Some luthiers use the "C#" designation for a two-point body style instrument, but to each his/her own.

http://www.Cohenmando.com

Gerry Cassidy
Sep-05-2009, 3:37pm
I had the chance to play all four of these wonderful mandos a couple days ago. As you can tell from the pics they are all very nice. They play as nice as they look.

I gotta say that 'Cello talked to me. Wow.

I WILL own one someday! :mandosmiley:

mrmando
Sep-05-2009, 4:38pm
out of curiousity, why a slotted mandolin headstock? could it be that this mando is toned to favor classical music?
If you are trying to conduct the orchestra and play your mandolin at the same time, the slot gives you a place to hang your baton while you're playing a solo.