PDA

View Full Version : Finding parts for Old Gibson A

mandomanmike
Jul-29-2009, 11:47pm
I have a 1905 Gibson A4 project I just acquired and it's missing bridge, tailpiece, and fretboard. Does anyone know of a source for replacement parts. The fretboard may be a challenge as I see there is a lot of inlay work on an A4

Would appreciate any leads. Perhaps there are luthiers that could do the inlay work or maybe I could learn to do that myself.

I'm also wondering how hard it would be to learn to match the existing finish for areas that need it (it is all original but there are some areas of damage)--I hear this is an art and it may be left to someone who has done a bunch of these restorations.

Also, how hard is it to reattach the back that is completely off the body? I hear it's tricky but I'm pretty handy and am eager to learn.

Appreciate all ideas. Thanks

Mike

Rick Turner
Jul-30-2009, 12:29am
Hmmm, this is a project that may be more than you're ready for. A-4s didn't have all that much in the way of inlay other than dots, a fleur du lis, and "the Gibson" on the peghead. No big deal. As for back reglue, check Frank Ford's www.frets.com site. This is an instrument that probably deserves professional restoration. Misguided attempts to do this will only result in further loss of both value and ultimate musical utility.

The missing parts are not that big of a deal, really, but it all should be done right. Roger Siminoff can probably supply a fingerboard, and either he or Steve at Cumberland Acoustics will be good for a bridge. An original tailpiece could be an issue, though either of the above could supply a good modern equivalent.

Finish touchup and matching is an art unto itself, and amateur attempts usually elicit comments like, "It would have been better left alone." You have to know color matching and how to use stains, shellac, spirit varnish, etc. to do this even half-way right.

There are much better instruments on which to learn other than ones worth in the thousands in decent shape.

Greg Mirken
Jul-30-2009, 1:35am
Listen to Rick. He may not know how to spell fleur-de-lis, but he's right that this is not an instrument to learn restoration techniques on. They aren't making any more 1905's, ya know.

Greg Mirken

Greg Mirken
Jul-30-2009, 1:54am
Or is it fleur-de-lys? Rats.

Greg Mirken

sunburst
Jul-30-2009, 9:08am
Many of us make our own bridges and fingerboards for restoration purposes. Compared to gluing the instrument back together and touching up the finish, making replica parts is the easy part.

mandomanmike
Jul-30-2009, 10:21pm
Thanks for the advice--it's served to reinforce the thought that I may be over my head on this one. I just completed some work on a vintage Gibson (partial back reattachment, dress fingerboard and frets, fabricate replacement neck heel, etc.) but nothing as touchy as this project. I will heed good advice and trust this one to an expert. Know of anyone out my way you can recommend. (Colorado Springs/Denver)

thanks again

Mike