PDA

View Full Version : Higher Level Instrument for NOOB?

ChasBo
Jul-29-2009, 8:07pm
I'm a beginner that played guitar when younger. -Played piano and organ since very young so I understand music theory. I intend to play bluegrass only. I've got the funds to purchase a used Gibson F-5C or F-9 or maybe a Weber Fern. I really like the woody full tone out of these instruments. I would rather make one quality purchase than purchasing a bottom end import and having to go through the hassle of selling it latter. I have located a Gibson F5-C from the mid 90's signed by Weber. Its been played quite a bit so it's probably "opened up" as you guys say. In great shape, no damage but I wonder about worn out frets and if it would be okay for a new guy? What pitfalls do I need to be aware of? The dealer selling this instrument has a reputable history.:confused:

Chris Biorkman
Jul-29-2009, 8:15pm
I'd be careful buying a Gibson without seeing it and hearing it first. Their quality is all over the map. That said, there are some good ones to be had. If you have your heart set on a Gibson, I'd look at the ones made in 2000 or after.

man dough nollij
Jul-29-2009, 9:56pm
I'd be careful buying a Gibson without seeing it and hearing it first. Their quality is all over the map.

Is that really true of the Weber/Flatiron/Gibsons, though? I have heard pretty much only good things about those.

mandroid
Jul-29-2009, 10:09pm
The new Jam Masters and A/F-9 series Gibsons have good solid construction , only less trim details
You have the lifetime guarentee if you buy new.
Weber has some nice but bling bypassing ones too.

John Gardinsky
Jul-29-2009, 10:15pm
My first mandolin was a Gibson F5G. It is a fine mandolin. I have been very pleased with it and have played the snot out of it. I have met some good webers but personally prefer the Gibson sound. I figure any of the ones you mentioned would give you a very nice and well built instrument to play. Just pick the one that feels right and sounds right to you. Looks come last. John

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-30-2009, 1:00am
I came across exactly the same model of Mandolin also signed by Bruce Weber 18 months ago. Me & the guy who owned it swapped instruments for half an hour or so.Whilst the 'Weber' Gibson was built nicely,my Weber 'Fern' was so much better tonally.So much so, that the guy was reluctant to hand it back & kept me hanging around. I strongly suspect that Bruce was building to the Gibson spec.& not his own.Having said that,instruments do vary significantly,so if you can get your hands on the Gibson to try it,it might just be the one for you,& as a nod in the direction of Gibson,the 'Jam masters' seem to be getting good press on here,
Ivan

Chris Biorkman
Jul-30-2009, 1:05am
I've always thought the newer one were better, but that's just my opinion.

red7flag
Jul-30-2009, 8:29am
I think when you talk older Gibsons the reason they are "all over the map" is that during the more than one century that they have made mandolins they have had absolutely wonderful, read Loar or DMM, and some periods like the 50s and 60s where the quality was suspect. This is not to say you cannot find a good Gibson made in the 50 and 60s, but buyer be wary. As mentioned before the Webers are right now making, in my opinion, the best instruments since they started make them. The Vintage A I bought brought out MAS I didn't even know I had. I probably play it more than any other of my instruments. They have really dialed in the sound. But that particular Weber is not particularly woody. The Yellowstones that I have played have had that woody sound. Weber is all over the map, but not in term of quality, but in terms of intent. They have models that reach almost all spectrums of the mandolin worlds, grass Fs, ovals, flat heads and more. Webers have expanded into a lot of traditional and non traditional areas, and done it well. But, they always seem to give their instruments a particular stamp; bridges, tail pieces, ovals that are really Ds, that make Weber distinctive. Not everybodies cup of tea, but for those that like it, love it.

Shelagh Moore
Jul-30-2009, 8:46am
From the time the late Charlie Derrington and Sim Daley were working there, the quality of new Gibsons is much more consistent I believe than in the couple of decades preceding them.

sunburst
Jul-30-2009, 9:23am
When you are buying used it is a good idea to have the instrument checked out by a luthier, or at least someone who understands mandolin maintenance, set up, and repair. If it needs set up and fret work, that should be negotiated in the purchase price. If the purchase price is low enough that you can buy the instrument, have the work done yourself and still "be in it" for an appropriate amount of money, then proceed.

As a beginner, there's no good way to know if you're getting a keeper, even if you are getting good quality. Until you gain some mandolin experience and learn what feel, sound, response etc. you like, you won't know if it's the mandolin for you. I'd say get the best quality you can afford and later, when you know yourself more as a mandolin player, you can either keep it or trade/sell it and replace it. If you get good quality at a good price when you buy it, you should get a good price when you sell it too.

As an aside, a friend and fellow luthier recently got me to help with a mandolin repair. The owner had bought a pretty nice, hand made mandolin for a crazy low price because the neck was bowed and the truss rod was broken. It was unplayable, but "cheap". My friend charged a very reasonable fee for the repair, and the mandolin turned out great, with a nice straight neck and little evidence of the truss rod replacement.
This is where the story goes bad...
Though the purchase price plus the repair price added up to a real bargain for the mandolin, the owner complained bitterly about the price of the repair, even though it was very reasonable, and in my opinion, too low. Seems people will always want something for nothing, but you can bet that there's a new name on my list of repair customers whom I will not work for!

red7flag
Jul-30-2009, 10:20am
Nice perspective as usual John.