PDA

View Full Version : Mike Marshall playing Voight 8 and 7

Dan Voight
Jul-28-2009, 1:00am
The most rewarding part about building mandolins (aside from playing them my self) is hearing great players play them. Here is a clip of Mike playing #8 and #7 after being strung up for a day or so at the mandolin symposium. Great thanks to Don Julin for having a digital recorder sitting on the floor at this time.

Chris Biorkman
Jul-28-2009, 1:42am
I can never open these files on my mac.

man dough nollij
Jul-28-2009, 1:44am
Sounds great, Dan! And just think of the extra mojo they absorbed. Did I detect a Dawg in the background?

Patrick Gunning
Jul-28-2009, 2:03am
To quote Mike (in a tone of voice reminiscent of someone savoring a fantastic meal): "Ohhhh God..."

Though I think we'll have words about things like discretion when your friend is clandestinely crashing on a symposium couch...

Mike Bunting
Jul-28-2009, 2:34am
When you click to download a prompt opens and asks whether to open or to save. Click save and say save to desktop, On your desktop the file will be an htm. file, change that to mp3 and it will open up in itunes. It took me a while to figure it out. I went to the help thread to find out. If my directions aren't clear lookmin that thread where it was explained to me.
Good luck

Chris Biorkman
Jul-28-2009, 2:45am
Thanks, Mike. What an honor to get such a great player to test drive your creations. They sounded great, BTW. You're going places.

Skip Kelley
Jul-28-2009, 6:18am
Dan, Your mandolins sound awesome! Nice work!!

mdlorenz
Jul-28-2009, 7:13am

Just copy the file to your desktop and take off the .html, leaving the .mp3

Martian
Jul-28-2009, 8:54am
Hey Dan. I have never had anyone so talented or well reknowned play my mandos, but I agree, when a friend picks up, and plays one (for more than a second or two) That said these, it is like seeing your son hit the winning run. I also cannot get any kind of sound clips or videos to play. Dile- up? That said, these more computer savy people can't be all wrong. Congrats. Quick off the thread question, are you still using Grady's bracing, or have you gone to tone bars? Just curious. Good job!

Dan Voight
Jul-28-2009, 9:06am
Quick off the thread question, are you still using Grady's bracing, or have you gone to tone bars? Just curious. Good job!

I developed my own pattern @ #2.

John Malayter
Jul-28-2009, 10:19am
Wowwwwwza

Has anyone gone to www.voightmandolins.com and checked out the media page. Holy cow, not only do these sounde fantastic but this guy can actually P L A Y .................................

Bob Stolkin
Jul-28-2009, 11:02am
Sounds really great, Dan. You obviously have a bright future ahead.

J.Albert
Jul-28-2009, 11:02pm
Chris wrote:
"I can never open these files on my mac"

Hmmm... this file downloaded to _my_ Mac normally, appears on my desktop as "voight.mp3".

Chris, what Mac and which version of the OS are you using?

For OS X, just do this:
- RIGHT click on the link.
- You should get a contextual menu that includes the choice to "Download linked file" (I have my Mac set to download all files directly to the desktop)
- Choose that and let it download.

NEXT:
Does it download with the name "voight.mp3"?
If no, what name DOES the downloaded file have?

If it doesn't download with the .mp3 extension at the end, add it to the filename.
If it downloads and the file is named "voight.xxx" (with the xxx representing something OTHER THAN .mp3), change it to .mp3.

Now, double-click on it.
What happens?

If NOTHING happens, try this:
- Click ONE time on the file to select it.
- Type "Command-i" to "get info".
- In the Get Info window, you should see under "Preview" the option to play the file. Try to play it.

Something else to try:
- Click ONE time on the file to select it.
- RIGHT click on it to summon up a contextual menu
- You will see a choice, "Open with...."
- Several applications will be listed (which the Mac OS presumes may be able to open the file)
- Try one or more of them.

- John
(solver of Mac problems)

Chris Biorkman
Jul-28-2009, 11:23pm
Thanks, got the problem figured out yesterday.

Dan Voight
Jul-29-2009, 12:20am
Thanks for the thread assistance.

Scotti Adams
Jul-29-2009, 7:13am
Sounds really good Dan..keep up the great work.

JEStanek
Jul-29-2009, 8:18am
It's always nice to impress one of the greats! Congratulations, Dan.

Jamie

jasona
Jul-31-2009, 9:44am
Sounds really great Dan! I think I should get into line behind Mike now :D

Ken Olmstead
Aug-03-2009, 9:50am
That is so cool! I got to hear those mandolins up close and personal and this recording is pretty accurate. Dan is well under way and I wish him the best. Of course, he will have to decide which career to do full time, make mandolins or make music. Most of the builders I know of don't have time to be both. Dan obviously has the skills to pursue either one he wants!

Dan Voight
Aug-03-2009, 2:40pm
That is so cool! I got to hear those mandolins up close and personal and this recording is pretty accurate. Dan is well under way and I wish him the best. Of course, he will have to decide which career to do full time, make mandolins or make music. Most of the builders I know of don't have time to be both. Dan obviously has the skills to pursue either one he wants!

I like to say I'm split 60% musician to 40% builder, if I ever HAD to choose.:mandosmiley:

Amy Burcham
Aug-09-2009, 12:26pm
That's a great sample and obviously a couple of great-sounding mandolins.

Bob Stolkin
Aug-25-2009, 3:56pm
Just got back from Grand Targhee camp. A buddy of Dan's was there with what I think he said was #1. Really good young player (headed for Berklee), and the mando sounded great. Quite loud, big bark, but sweet.

Patrick Gunning
Aug-25-2009, 9:58pm
That was Sean Robinson on Voight #8. A fine player and a great friend. Our Voights are a (relatively) matched pair except his has a two-piece back and mine has wire inlay. The spiral-cut maple of the two-piece versus the slab-cut of my one piece gives his a slightly punchier sound.

I was glad to hear he won the Targhee mando contest, but sad that Weber didn't decide to sponsor it this year leaving him with no mandolin for his troubles. Last year, they had a Fern up for grabs but I only got 2nd. Sadness...