PDA

View Full Version : Bowlback - what value?

scgc.om
Aug-19-2004, 5:29pm
There's an "antique Italian bowlback" mandolin in the local classifieds right now. #They're asking $375.
#
Does anyone here think bowlbacks are worth anything? #Are there perhaps a "few gems" out there? #Does anyone here play a tater bug?
#
I couldn't help but notice that Grisman used a Loar on that Portuguese tribute CD that came out awhile ago (with Beppe and another guy) #On the cover I believe Dawg held a bowlback BUT the credits show he used a Loar.

Any thoughts on tater bugs?

Jim Garber
Aug-19-2004, 7:14pm
Nah, we all hate those things as much as you bluegrassers. The best they are good for is wall hangers. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Just kidding, of course... I couldn't resist. If you scan many of the threads here you will see that there is quite an alternative universe here in favor of the bowlback. I have been on both sides of the fence and play std Gibson type instruments but favor my Italian-made bowlback over them all for the italian and classical repertoires.

The Grisman issue you speak of is Traversata which Beppe plays on and Carlo Aonzo, a great Italian mandolinist who plays a bowlback mandolin made by Gabriele Pandini as is the one that Grisman holds on the cover. I own one also thanks to Carlo. So, no Portuguese music on that CD.... Italian only.

I contacted Dawg to ask him if he liked the Pandini and he replied that he liked the way it sounded and played but had a hard time figuring out how to hold it so it didn't slip off his lap.

As far as your question about a specific bowlback for sale: more information would be good. There are good ones and lots of junk. A label might indicate something; some pictures would be good. BTW just because it is listed as Italian, doesn;t mean it is so. Many are just bowlbacks that folks think are italian because they are bowlbacks. Also, there were countless numbers of American made bowlbacks of all grades made from the turn of the last century.

Jim

Jim Garber
Aug-19-2004, 8:46pm
Actually, to give you a brief overview of the desirable vintage bowlback brands.

Italian: Calace, Embergher and Vinaccia are the top ones and the most desirable. Some models are more desirable and therefore mnore expensive than others. There are probably more of these instruments in Europe and there is prob a greater interest over there than there is in the
US.

American: Vega, Washburn, Martin are the most prominent of the desirable instruments.

Browse thru this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=14185) and see many others of this ilk.

Jim

pedro 23
Jul-11-2011, 5:44am
If anyone has a problem with a 'slipping' Bowlback Mandolin, here's my solution. What you need is a piece of soft rubber matting(I use a slice off an old car inner tube, duly washed with the contact surface scored with coarse sandpaper). Assuming you are sitting down to play in then does not slip round.

Jim Garber
Jul-11-2011, 8:06am
People also use a chamois (soft leather) cloth and also rubberized stuff that you use to line drawers with. Available at housewares departments. Nowadays i don't use anything for the bowlbacks but prefer to use a footrest when playing sitting down.

JeffD
Jul-11-2011, 9:19am
And it comes in many colors to match what ever you are wearing.

Jim Garber
Jul-11-2011, 9:29am
it is funny lately that a few truly old threads are getting resurrected. This one is almost 7 years old. Hey, we even celebrate the same birthday -- this thread, Bill Clinton and me.

JeffD
Jul-11-2011, 10:14am
I know. New life breathed into old threads. Though it seems that even if the old threads were not resurected, the old issues would be. ;)

Beanzy
Jul-20-2011, 11:28pm
.... but had a hard time figuring out how to hold it so it didn't slip off his lap.

Many years ago before I was even aware of the mandolin as anything I'd ever play (I've got chubby fingers) I saw an italian player at a concert in a London church lay a chamois cloth on their lap first which thinking back seemes like a good idea to me as it's been used for many things for centuries. But Geff D's drawer / non-slip tray liner seems reallly neat as chammy can shed bits.

Good to see people using the search function though. :)

michaelpthompson
Jul-22-2011, 9:16pm
Many years ago before I was even aware of the mandolin as anything I'd ever play (I've got chubby fingers) I saw an italian player at a concert in a London church lay a chamois cloth on their lap first which thinking back seemes like a good idea to me as it's been used for many things for centuries. But Geff D's drawer / non-slip tray liner seems reallly neat as chammy can shed bits.

I'm almost certain that REAL chamois (which is leather) does not shed bits. That's more likely the fake shammy cloths sold at auto parts stores. I know Uilleann pipers who use a bit of chamois or other soft leather on their leg as what's called a "popping cloth" to properly play the pipes. They get discolored after a while, but I don't think they shed bits.

And yes, it's nice to see an old thread rear its head once again.