PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass for breakfast at the Farmer's Market

mad dawg
Feb-09-2004, 6:57pm
Our neighborhood Farmer's Market, which is held every Saturday throughout the year, hosts live music throughout the day. This week the live act was The David Thom Band, a local BG band, and we had a great time relaxing with our coffee and pastries while they played. They usually have some sort of blues or folk act, but this is the first time I happened to be there in a long time when a mandolin was involved, and I was delighted. (Here's hoping that next week a local Choro band will be playing...)

What similar gatherings do you have that in your areas that bring the community and local musicians together?

NickelCreeker
Feb-09-2004, 9:29pm
Where at was this? lol. We Have a Farmers Market around the Yakima area, Iv never been to it before to know if they play any music or not, I should look into it though!
I know they have some Coffee shops and Cafes that play Jazz music.. In fact one of the bands was needing a Bass player. I think If I went to one of those Cafe's Id feel out of place. They probly wear all black and snap and stuff..lol!

They have TWBA (The Washington Bluegrass Association) and sometimes they have local festivals, I havnt been very social I guess!! We live out in the middle of
hilly no where..lol.
The only concerts or music events Ive been to would be the Oprea House in Texas, they had some really cool stuff! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mad dawg
Feb-10-2004, 10:55am
I live in the Grand Lake district of Oakland, CA. It's really a great area to live, although I wouldn't mind living up in your area as well. (I used to live in Seattle for a while, and love the Pac NW.)

Michael H Geimer
Feb-10-2004, 2:14pm
Mad Dawg,
I saw a Craigslist posting about a month back, asking for acts to perform at the Noe Valley farmer's market. My blossoming BG group is up for it - in principle, if not in practice. LOL! - once the weather gets little warmer. (Which actaully seems to be happening! Yea!!!!!!! )

Bluegrass and Farmers Markets just seem to fit. I hope it works out for us ... if not, I'll just ahve to go down there and listen anyway.

- Benig

Rich
Feb-10-2004, 2:37pm
Here in Fort Collins, Colorado, we have a wwekly Wednesday night bluegrass 'jam' and it's been going with steady- even enthusiastic- attendance for over 20 years. I'm always so very grateful for the bluegrass community we have here in Fort Collins. It just may be bluegrass paradise. I have a jam available within driving distance every night of the week! I just wish I didn't have to go to work the next morning...

Michael H Geimer
Feb-10-2004, 3:30pm
Rich,
You live right inside in one of America true gem stones! I would move there in a heartbeat ... but for a lack of prospects.

Ahhh ... to have a beer a Coppersmith's ... then another at New Belguim ... hiking up in Rocky Mountain Nat'l on the weekends ... and all this Bluegrass you've told us about!

I spent a great week there for a wedding a few years back, and coincidently have been emailing my friend who's from there all morning.

The other person I've been emailing all morning is Duuude. It occurred to me, that is has been easier for me to find BG player inside The Big City, than it has been for Duuude, who live in a more rural area ... well, rural by comparison to SF!

Us City Slickers get the benefits that come form a large pool of potential players. So, even though there's probably less BG players per capita around here, there are likely to be a whole lot of players to hook up with.

Case in point ... Mad Dawg and I live quite close, but have never run into each other. Now, it would be pretty hard for two Cafe memebrs to live in Ft. Collins and not know each other.

It a geographic lottery, really.

- Benignus