PDA

View Full Version : Punch Brothers movie

adgefan
Jul-23-2009, 2:19pm
Apologies if this has already been posted - the trailer for a Punch Brothers movie is now available to view here:

http://www.punchbrothersmovie.com

I am more than a little excited about this, and I might even be in it since I was at gigs where they were filming!

blawson
Jul-23-2009, 3:44pm
Regardless of how one feels about their original music, their musicianship is impeccable. The Brandenburg concerto clip is mesmerizing. Simply wonderful music.

Brandon Flynn
Jul-23-2009, 4:15pm
Thank's for posting this! I haden't heard about it. Very exciting.

kidgloves2
Jul-23-2009, 4:43pm
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm at a loss for words right now. I didn't even know this was being made. I have been hoping Chris would do a documentary forever.

And that Brandenburg concerto was amazing!

The kid keeps busy. He's pushing the mandolin farther than anyone right now. It's cool to witness history being made. He has a long career ahead of him too.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I made a wow sandwich)

Ron Landis
Jul-23-2009, 4:55pm
This is very cool. I tried to find out when it comes out, but it looks like they need some financial support to get it off the ground. This film may not turn into a Hollywood blockbuster, but I for one would love to see it in a theater, or at least own a copy of it if and when it becomes available. I wish I had some extra dough to throw down to help them out.

dpemberton13
Jul-23-2009, 6:07pm
Wow I'm pretty pumped...It looks pretty awesome. At least by the trailer anyway!

Larry S Sherman
Jul-23-2009, 7:07pm
Chris is the main reason I play mandolin, and I'm very excited to see this film. I'm going to see the Punch Brothers Monday night! w00t! Life is good!

Larry

mandopete
Jul-23-2009, 9:42pm
Great video!

Is it my imagination or does Noam Pikelny remind you of Tom Hanks during the intro (where he's saying "Bach's") ?

OldSausage
Jul-23-2009, 10:31pm
I'm not all about Chris Thile or the Brandenburg, but I would still like to see this movie a lot. It looks great.

Stephanie Reiser
Jul-24-2009, 7:23pm
I will be seeing Chris tomorrow night, to show him a mandolin. I will ask how the film is going.

Baron Collins-Hill
Jul-24-2009, 7:55pm
see you there stephanie. im super excited. ill bring my new acquisition. cant wait to see what you bring along.

baron

man dough nollij
Jul-24-2009, 9:17pm
The trailer seemed to be Thile-centric. His name was used several times, and I don't remember any of the other players being mentioned, though their names were posted over shots of them. I'm wondering what the dynamic of the band is. Is it really "Chris Thile and Punch Brother" or "The Chris Thile Band"? He seems to be the leader, and he's definitely the biggest name. I think I've heard that they colaborate on writing all the songs. Anybody know? :confused:

Brandon Flynn
Jul-24-2009, 9:48pm
The trailer seemed to be Thile-centric. His name was used several times, and I don't remember any of the other players being mentioned, though their names were posted over shots of them. I'm wondering what the dynamic of the band is. Is it really "Chris Thile and Punch Brother" or "The Chris Thile Band"? He seems to be the leader, and he's definitely the biggest name. I think I've heard that they colaborate on writing all the songs. Anybody know? :confused:

Chris wrote all of the Blind, but left room for improv in the band. The rest of the songs seem to be farely collaborative musically from what I can tell from interviews, but Chris seems to write all the lyrics. I think the Thile-centrism is due to the media, not his own doing. The band are the Punch Brothers, yet at concerts and such they will say "Chris Thile and the Punch Brothers" or "The Punch Brothers featuring Chris Thile". I don't think it's his fault, he's just the recognizable name in the bunch.

man dough nollij
Jul-24-2009, 9:54pm
Yeah, "Noam Pikelny" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue... :)

Chris Biorkman
Jul-24-2009, 10:47pm
That clip of the Brandenburg concerto was awesome.

adgefan
Jul-25-2009, 4:43am
The trailer seemed to be Thile-centric. His name was used several times, and I don't remember any of the other players being mentioned, though their names were posted over shots of them.

The movie seems to be about Chris' personal progression from Nickel Creek to Punch Brothers, rather than just about the band itself (see the "learn" page on the website).

In concert, they're very much a unit - Noam quite often does the talking to the audience, which can be worth the admission alone!

jim_n_virginia
Jul-25-2009, 5:21am

Oh you can bet this is Thiles personal band.

How To Grow a Band? Well you start with a name, water with lots of money and fertilize with young hopefuls who want to make their own name! LOL!

But like someone said whether you like the music or not there is no denying the talent and I am sure they will have many fans waiting to see this movie. :mandosmiley:

man dough nollij
Jul-25-2009, 9:04pm
In concert, they're very much a unit - Noam quite often does the talking to the audience, which can be worth the admission alone!

The couple of times I've seen CT (Nickel Creek) live, he was acting strangely. Really geeky, trying to be funny and it wasn't working. I am a big admirer of his talent as a player, but (unless the shows I saw were exceptions), his stage presence is like one big, weird inside joke that only CT got. The other two players in Nickel Creek seemed to be painfully shy on stage, so that didn't make up for CT's weirdness. Good to hear that Noam is better at that end. I'll go see the PB when I get a chance. I don't think McMurdo is on their tour schedule.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-26-2009, 1:19am
Even as a Banjo player,i have to say that 'Banjo in Bach' doesn't work for me.It's tonally completely out of context within that form of music IMHO. It's wonderful to think that it 'can' be played on a Banjo at all,such is the technique of some of our great players these days,but sometimes it's necessary to take a step back & leave such music to more suitable instruments.
I have a recording by an awesome Banjo player,Pat Cloud, called "Higher Power",on which he plays arrangements of many Jazz standards,a few by the great Oscar Petersen. At first i was awed by the playing,but as i listened to it more,i began to realise the serious limitations of a 5-string Banjo compared to a Piano.The range of available notes,the nuances of tone & dynamics aren't available on a Banjo.
I'm not knocking Noam Pickelny either,he's one of the best & i love his playing - it's the instrument that i feel is 'out of context',Noam's talent speaks for itself. But i feel it's a bit like me being asked to play Mandolin within the context of a Brass Band,maybe i could do it ,but should i ?.
I feel that it would be totally incongruous & do nothing for the sound of the band or the reputation of the Mandolin - just my personal opinion here,
Ivan:mandosmiley:

BradKlein
Jul-26-2009, 3:27am
In fact, the banjo has often seemed quite 'harpsichord-like' to me. You don't find that, Ivan?

Of course, lots of musicians of all stripes have dabbled in Bach, and often it's been a crowd pleaser even if most would agree it's a novelty, a 'trick'. As Ivan says, "it's wonderful to think that it 'can' be played on a XXXX at all". I think of this as the 'Walking Dog' phenomena, (surprising to see it done at all)

But in Chris, it seems we have the rare musician from outside the classical music world, who approaches this music on it's own terms. Who takes the technical and conceptual challenges on in exactly the way, and to the same degree as any number of classical musicians before him. Example: I believe that he could have released a well financed album of Bach at any time over the past several years, and he will someday, but he waits and waits. It seems evident that he and the band are determined not to be a novelty act. And that is what makes their progression as players so very fun to watch for the old fans, as well as newer supporters in the 'classical' world.

Brandon Flynn
Jul-26-2009, 6:25am
Mike Marshall said one time that Chris knew all the sonatas and partitas. He only performs a few selections. He is certainly approaching Bach with much thought and care. He's not going to whip out the chaconne for novelty sake (although I can't see that one working quite right no matter how much thought he puts into it). Bach's music sounds good on almost instrument in my opinion, as long as it is played well. Too mee the acoustic guitar is more out of place than the banjo.

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-26-2009, 8:09am
I'll have to duck out of the Banjo /Harpsichord comparison - i'm almost crying with laughter. I'm mentally hearing some of Handel's music for strings & Harpsichord & trying to put a Banjo in the place of the Harpsichord & it doesn't do it for me at all :)). No disrespect Brad.,i understand what you mean.The Harpsichiord has little sustain as does the Banjo.
I agree re.Chris Thile's talent,the guy is incredible.As a fellow member put it to me in a personal e-mail once,he 'seems to make everything his own'. He's so at ease with so many different genres of music,it's stunning !,
Ivan:cool:

Austin Koerner
Jul-26-2009, 10:03am
The couple of times I've seen CT (Nickel Creek) live, he was acting strangely. Really geeky, trying to be funny and it wasn't working. I am a big admirer of his talent as a player, but (unless the shows I saw were exceptions), his stage presence is like one big, weird inside joke that only CT got. The other two players in Nickel Creek seemed to be painfully shy on stage, so that didn't make up for CT's weirdness. Good to hear that Noam is better at that end. I'll go see the PB when I get a chance. I don't think McMurdo is on their tour schedule.

I actually think that Thile is pretty darn funny. I think that he has the same sense of humor that my friends and I have. All of the Punch Brothers are very entertaining between songs to me.

Chris Biorkman
Jul-26-2009, 10:11am
I actually thought the banjo didn't sound out of place at all, and I'm not a big fan of the instrument. As for the guitar, I couldn't even hear it. Chris' commentary between songs is a little geeky and awkward, but nowhere near as awkward as Dave Matthews. That guy should be quiet and just play.

Caleb
Jul-26-2009, 1:49pm
Very excited about this. Thanks for posting. Chris is a rare talent.

kmiller1610
Jul-28-2009, 5:09am
Even as a Banjo player,i have to say that 'Banjo in Bach' doesn't work for me.It's tonally completely out of context within that form of music IMHO. It's wonderful to think that it 'can' be played on a Banjo at all,such is the technique of some of our great players these days,but sometimes it's necessary to take a step back & leave such music to more suitable instruments.

I've shown the clip to 10 people, all of them non-acoustic fans. Their favorite parts are where you can hear Noam gently, separately playing his notes (around 4:00). Comments are something like this: "I didn't know the Banjo could ever sound that soft!"

You may be too close to the instrument to recognize that the Banjo is the main thing that makes the Punch Brandenberg unique to untrained ears. Thile's Mandolin blends very well.

BradKlein
Jul-28-2009, 1:55pm
Their favorite parts are where you can hear Noam gently, separately playing his notes (around 4:00). Comments are something like this: "I didn't know the Banjo could ever sound that soft!"

It's true that he has a wonderful tone. I don't know banjos that well myself, but in the couple of times that I've heard Noam up close here in NYC, it's really striking how good he sounds on that Gibson top tension banjo. I don't know what comes from the instrument, the set up, his right hand... but it's a fine combination.

I don't think those P-Bros can imagine what a treat it is for us locals, when they pop up at small venues and jams.

Alex Orr
Jul-28-2009, 2:40pm
I really don't care for the majority of the stuff I've heard by Thile, with Nickel Creek being especially grating. Sure, he's technically brilliant, but personally, I find most of his music boring and his stage presence irritating. Yet, with that in mind, even I would go see that movie. Despite my personal lack of interest in his music, the guy is a genius musician and I love seeing footage of first-rate musicians playing, practicing, arranging, recording, and just talking about the music. Whether or not their music appeals to me personally, it's almost always a treat to get a glimpse into the musical lives of folks like that outside of an album or onstage in concert.

clem
Jul-28-2009, 3:19pm
Punch Brothers is a phenomenal BAND. My impressions were that they have melded into a band, that started as CT project. They all play and sing very well...and CT is not the most awe inspiring musician on the stage when they play:disbelief::disbelief:...and he is a brilliant musician and performer.

I can't wait to see this film...and see the band again.

PhilGE
Sep-04-2009, 11:15pm
Just saw the Brandenburg clip. Wow. Wow. Wow. If I read the notes right, it won't be in the movie. Now have it on my iPod. Wow... If I had seen this kind of stuff as a kid I probably would not have quit playing the cello. Inspiring.

Steve-o
Mar-08-2011, 4:16pm
Saw from the MC front page that the movie premiere's Friday in Nashville. Anyone know when/where it will be released from there? I checked the web site and no indications. If anyone attends, please update us. Thanks!