PDA

View Full Version : The New Collings

Thomas
Feb-09-2004, 4:54pm
Anybody have any idea why the new lower priced A and F models aren't on Collings' website? #I thought they were released already. #Not looking for conspircay theories, but it seems as if they're gonna sell them, they should promote them. #They sound like they'd be a market winner. #Maybe they aren't ramped up to supply enough yet? #Or maybe somebody has a better reason.

Sure, I could email Collings, but what fun would that be? #And, no, Dale. #I'm not in the market for one. #I likes my Rigel A Nat (minus the case) just dandy, thank you. # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

jcs271
Feb-09-2004, 5:39pm
They seem to be in fair supply from what I have seen locally, I think it is just a matter of "no interest" on the part of Collings in updating their site. They could certainly post a LOT more info there than they currently do. I love my Collings and sing its praises daily but frankly their website sucks.

Zed
Feb-09-2004, 5:42pm
I did indeed email them with the very question. They said they "were too busy building fine instruments". Hmm... ok. Anyhow, they are planning on getting info and pics up "soon".

And speaking of the new models... anyone own one yet? Or at the least gotten to spend some paying time on one? I'm just about going to have to have the MF here in the semi near future. It is a prize.

-- Some nice pics at Gryphon...
http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/21438/21438.html

250sc
Feb-10-2004, 8:01am
Who has them in stock. It looks like Elderly had at least one but the arrival date for more is listed as unknown.

Within the next 3 months I plan to purchase an new instrument and the Collings looks too nice not to try one.

jcs271
Feb-10-2004, 4:30pm
I played the MF ($3895) at Buffalo Brothers and it was AWESOME, much louder and "woodier" than the new Rigel G5 which was about $6300.

Wesley
Feb-12-2004, 11:02am
There are some listed in the newest Mandolin Bros cataloge that just arrived in my mail yesterday. I recall seeing one on their website too.

jlb
Feb-12-2004, 12:21pm
They said they "were too busy building fine instruments".

Translation: #We don't want to shell out the bucks to pay our webmaster to update the site.

Another example: is the G-5 listed in Rigel's "Models & Pricing" page?

grsnovi
Feb-23-2004, 10:29pm
I picked up MF # 208 on Friday 2/20 at Pioneer in Portland. I understand Dusty Strings has one (or had one as of Friday). When I spoke to Collings (Friday morning) they said they were building about 12 a month.

I'm still getting acquainted with # 208

I'll put some pictures of mine up after I get a sunny day - I want to get the sun in the top binding. It sounds great. I played several others that morning including two Weber Bitterroots and both a Gibson F9 and A9 (however, I went to get the Collings).

Dusty Strings will likely not have their MF after this weekend - assuming it makes the trek to Wintergrass.

Zed
Feb-23-2004, 10:44pm
Yeah, Gary, post some pics. I'd love to see 'em. Keep us posted as you get better acquainted with your MF.

peterbc
Feb-25-2004, 3:05am
The Folk Store in Seattle had (has?) an MT which was pretty cool, but they also had a Weber Absorka (or however you spell that thing) which I thought sounded better and was a little cheaper.

Jeff A
Feb-25-2004, 7:29pm
I played an MT at Cotton Music in Nashville last week. It was an hour old in the shop and still a little cold from shipping when taken out of the box(Kim,the owner felt the short time inside was not as critical on the MT as it has a satin finish). Remarkably , it came out of the box in tune! I A/B it with a MT2 that Kim brought out and even though it was chilly it held its own and didnt show signs of " shrinkage". Very similar in sound to the MT2. Its a great value from Collings,a company folks dont usually go to because low prices but for great consistent sound.

Nolan
Feb-26-2004, 10:25am
I too played the MT at the folkstore in Seattle just like peterbc and I thought it was really good. I think the one Stu has at the folkstore is somewhat special in that it has a gloss top.