PDA

View Full Version : String Spacing

mmukav
Aug-19-2004, 9:10am
Just got a new Kentucky KM800 mando. Noticed the string spacing is more narrow than on my A9. Interesting because the neck on the Kentucky is actually wider than that on the A9. But the string spacing is narrower. Personal preference of the builder? Error on the builder's part? Are there hard, fast rules on spacing? The other interesting thing is that the most high and low strings are set in from the edge of the fretboard, where the A9's strings are very close to the edge. Thoughts? (also the bridge on the A9 is wider across than on the Kentucky, leading to the string space being narrower). One of the reasons I got the Kentucky was for the wider fretboard, easier to play with my stubby finger, but having the strings spaced closer together seems to defeat the purpose.

sunburst
Aug-19-2004, 10:13am
Just got a new Kentucky KM800 mando. Noticed the string spacing is more narrow than on my A9. Interesting because the neck on the Kentucky is actually wider than that on the A9. But the string spacing is narrower. Personal preference of the builder?

probably so

Error on the builder's part?

probably not

Are there hard, fast rules on spacing?

not really

The other interesting thing is that the most high and low strings are set in from the edge of the fretboard, where the A9's strings are very close to the edge. Thoughts?

personal preference again. Some people have trouble with the strings "falling" off the end of the frets if they're too close. Others like wider string spacing in general and have to have them closer to the edge.

(also the bridge on the A9 is wider across than on the Kentucky, leading to the string space being narrower). One of the reasons I got the Kentucky was for the wider fretboard, easier to play with my stubby finger, but having the strings spaced closer together seems to defeat the purpose.
You could have a new nut and bridge installed with the string spacing of your choice.

mmukav
Aug-19-2004, 9:06pm
Thanks for the input. Changing the spacing on the bridge or replacing the bridge wouldn't be too bad. But replacing the nut would involve quite a bit more trouble. The strings should be parallel throughout their entire course, no? So just changing the spacing on the bridge wouldn't do it, would it? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

sunburst
Aug-19-2004, 11:51pm
No, the strings usually aren't parallel, they usually get wider as you go from nut to bridge.
Usually the courses (GDAE) are wider at the bridge and the unisons are wider at the bridge.
If you want more room for your fingers on the board, you'll get much more improvement from a new nut with wider spacing than from a bridge with wider spacing.
You'll probably get a better sound too if you have a bone nut put in.