PDA

View Full Version : European Tour

Ron Landis
Jul-20-2009, 6:11pm
I'm planning to go to Spain and France about mid-September with my son. Everything I've ever read about touring Europe tells me to TRAVEL LIGHT. Fine.. but... I HAVE to bring a mandolin. My past experience tells me I don't want to run into opportunities to play and not have one available. Also, I've found that just carrying a mandolin (or any instrument) while traveling seems to open up opportunities that one might not have otherwise. You know what they say about music being the universal language and all.

So I took the 1/2 hr. drive over to Janet Davis Music store this morning and picked out a cheapo beater to take with since I don't want to risk taking my Summit F-200. I ended up with a Kentucky KM-505. (A-model) All solid woods, nicely flamed maple, radiused ebony fingerboard. It really sounds great compared to all the Rogue, Morgan Monroe and Michael Kelly F-models they had at similar or higher price. Got a gig bag too for easy, light carrying. Still not as good as my Summit, but after it breaks in and I get some extra set-up work done, I think it's gonna be a real good-un. For under $500, I think I did pretty good.

Spencer
Jul-20-2009, 6:35pm
I did something like that many years ago, when I first spent 7 months over here, and was worried about stuff getting broke during shipping. Bought an old Harmony, which served me quite well. When I moved back, I left it behind with friends I played with, and they gave it back to me when I moved over here permanently. Through later years, it survived a couple of trips over the Atlantic and one to Germany under the airplane seat in a plastic bag :disbelief: and it is currently on loan with my son. So you shouldn't have any problems with yours in a gig bag.

Have a great trip, I expect you will enjoy France and Spain, though the dollar isn't that strong at the moment.

Spencer

allenhopkins
Jul-20-2009, 9:49pm
Hey, that's what my $25 Strad-O-Lin is for. It's been places my "better" mandos would never have dared to go. It comes back to the music room with a few new dings, a crazed light in its eyes, and a bunch of unbelievable tales. The Gibsons and Eastmans all sit around with their mouths open and listen to its stories. It's the raffish "black sheep" cousin that has most of the fun.

Mandoist
Jul-21-2009, 7:24am
You can sell that Kentucky mandolin easily in Europe...for less than the cost of one here ...and probably make a few USD on it, too. Bring strings!!! They're way expensive here...and if any of your hosts play, bring them some strings as 'Thank You' gifts.

Ron Landis
Jul-21-2009, 9:48am
Mandoist, Thanks for the tips. I was originally planning to take a side trip to Amsterdam, but I don't think my budget will allow it. I don't think I'll ever part with my new Kentucky. We bonded last night and she asked that I never let her go. I told her I'd take her to Paris where we could make beautiful music together. She will come back and tell stories to all the other instruments in the music room like Allen's Stradolin.

I guess at almost $500, it's not exactly "cheap", but I'm spoiled. I actually own a flat-top mandolin in Spain I bought 20 years ago for this purpose, but I wanted something with a little more punch. Anyway, I just sold my spare b@#!0, so I guess I can justify buying the Kentucky as a sort of 'trade'.