PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Waller R.I.P.

jim simpson
Aug-18-2004, 9:58pm
This from Charlie Waller's website:

08/18/04
Charlie Waller passed away a short while ago of a massive heart attack.
Arrangements are not known at this time.

I'm glad I got to hear Charlie this summer. Truly a talent who'll be missed.
Jim

AlanN
Aug-19-2004, 2:14am
This is truly sad, he was a persistent and vital force in bluegrass and folk music. RIP, Charlie.

Scotti Adams
Aug-19-2004, 5:41am
wow...this is bad...I just seen and talked to him last weekend......cant think straight right now....gotta go

Mando4Life
Aug-19-2004, 6:32am
terrible, terrible news....a great loss to the bluegrass music world....

Scotti Adams
Aug-19-2004, 7:09am
..am I missing something?...I went to the Charlie and the Gents home page...there wasnt any news of his death....and I also followed the link from the Cafe home page....nothing... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Scott Tichenor
Aug-19-2004, 7:16am
This at charliewaller.net, big letters on the front page:

08/18/04
Charlie Waller passed away a short while ago of a massive heart attack.

Arrangements are not known at this time.

Go Here: Comments for Charlie

Scotti Adams
Aug-19-2004, 7:42am
..I see it now....I went to that site a dozen times and that blurb wasnt there....now its there.....oh the wonders of the internet.......still a very sad day.

Jim Roberts
Aug-19-2004, 7:58am
One of the greatest voices in bluegrass. #I remember him singing "Matterhorn" at SPBGMA year before last that made my hair stand on end it was so beautiful.

Scotti Adams
Aug-19-2004, 8:54am
When there is any news of arrangements would someone please let me know..either myself or my dad will more than likely attend..if at all possible...thanks

JDARTGOD
Aug-19-2004, 9:33am
Truly a great loss to the Bluegrass Vocal world. Thought and prayers to all friends and family.

keymandoguy
Aug-19-2004, 9:36am
If only we can all play together in that great bluegrass band in the sky http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

JimW
Aug-19-2004, 10:45am
Charlie had a way of taking just a normal, regular sounding song and when he sang it, it was just different and very unique unto him. He could do that with any song. His voice was unmistakable and no one could do it quite like Charlie Waller could.

The bluegrass world has lost another great, but I'm sure he's singing with the rest that have already left us.

It seems we are loosing our bluegrass pioneers little by little. I think they are leaving the genre in great hands though. These pioneers, like Charlie Waller, have sparked the interest in a younger generation and have made the foundation of bluegrass music stronger than ever.

Rest in peace Charlie.

Willie Poole
Aug-19-2004, 11:16am
They are doing an autopsy on Charlie to see exactly what the cause, not sure it was a heart attack...Some years ago Charlie and I talked about him doing an all country album but he said his heart was in bluegrass but I`m glad to hear that his last album was an all country album and I hope to be able to find a copy of that CD, if anyone knows the name of it please post it here for me...Thanks...He will be missed more than words can express....They almost have an all Country Gentlemen band in Heaven now with Charlie, Duffey and Ed Ferris...Still need a banjo player.`til later....Willie http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Scotti Adams
Aug-19-2004, 2:23pm
SONGS OF THE AMERICAN SPIRIT
ORLANDO, FL - Bluegrass legend Charlie Waller is back at it again with a new album entitled Songs of the American Spirit. The album, set to release August 24th, contains twelve new tracks along with a re-recording of the classic, "Crying in the Chapel." This album reiterates that Charlie is one of the greatest voices in the history of Bluegrass.
Since starting the Country Gentlemen in 1957, Charlie has recorded countless Bluegrass hits and has earned a place in the Bluegrass Hall of Honor. Songs of the American Spirit has the classic Country Gentlemen sound with a modern spin. Contributing to the album are, Greg Corbett, Darin Aldridge, Randy Waller, Les Deaton, and Ronnie Davis.
The album was recorded at Eastwood Studios in Cana, VA. It was produced by fellow Bluegrass Hall of Honor member, Eddie Adcock.
Charlie Waller and The Country Gentlemen are currently on tour nationwide (with new bass player Billy Gee), and will be performing songs from their upcoming album.

Scotti Adams
Aug-19-2004, 2:25pm
(And so is this one below)
Heres the songs on it....

1 Fighting Side Of Me
2 Be Quiet When Willie Walks By
3 Between Fire And Water
4 Crying In The Chapel
5 Joe
6 A Miners Life
7 Blackberry Blossom
8 There's A Star Spangled Banner Waving Somewhere
9 My Heart Is On The Mend
10 River Of Tears
11 Stay In The Wagon Yard
12 The Vision
13 Let Me Fly Low

13 new classics from the pens of Merle Haggard, Tom T and Dixie Hall, Randall Hylton and others. Produced by former Gentlemen Eddie Adcock.

Scotti Adams
Aug-19-2004, 8:41pm
Around 6:30 yesterday evening Charlie Waller was found motionless in his garden by his wife. #He passed away just prior to leaving for several tour dates. #His son Randy believes that his death was due to a heart attack. #

Since starting the Country Gentlemen in 1957, Charlie has recorded countless Bluegrass hits and has earned a place in the Bluegrass Hall of Honor. #Beginning his professional career in Washington, DC in local bars at the age of 13, Charlie quickly progressed into larger venues during his teenage years. #From there, Charlie left DC for Baltimore to perform with Earl Taylor. He then met Buzz Busby who was looking for a guitar player and singer. #Charlie quickly landed that job and was with Buzz Busby and the Bayou Boys for two years before a twist of fate occurred.

After a life-threatening automobile accident involving most of the Bayou Boys, Charlie was asked to join a band to fill in for the dates the Bayou Boys would miss while recovering. #Charlie was then united with the original or "classic" Country Gentlemen: #Larry Lahey (bass), John Duffey (mandolin), Bill Emerson (banjo) and Charlie (guitar and lead vocals). #They immediately realized they had something special and knew they had to keep it going. # On July 4, 1957, The Country Gentlemen were formed.

For over 45 years many well known artists, such as Tom Gray, Porter Church, Eddie Adcock, Doyle Lawson, Mike Lilly, Ricky Skaggs, and Bill Yates, to name a few, have performed as Country Gentlemen. #Together, these members have received innumerable award nominations, garnered nearly 70 prestigious industry awards, and the "classic" Country Gentlemen were inducted into the International Bluegrass Music Association's (IBMA) Hall of Honor in 1996. #Throughout the years this group of personnel has recorded nearly 40 albums and provided us with many classic songs, which have enhanced the traditional bluegrass sound and repertoire. #The latest lineup, which Charlie said, "It's the best sounding band I've had," consists of Greg Corbett (banjo), Darin Aldridge (mandolin, lead and rhythm guitar), Randy Waller (lead and rhythm guitar) and Billy Gee (bass) ~ all sure to be future legends. #

Waller's final album entitled Songs of the American Spirit is still set to be released next Tuesday, August 24, 2004. #Contributing to the album are, Greg Corbett, Darin Aldridge, Randy Waller, Les Deaton, and Ronnie Davis. #Along with the album, County Standard Time will be running Charlie's final interview in their upcoming issue.

Rick Bell, a writer for Country Standard Time, conducted an interview with Mr. Waller just hours before his death on Aug. 18. #Bell is preparing to write an in-depth story for the magazine's September issue to coincide with the release of the new Country Gentlemen album on Pinecastle Records, "Songs of the American Spirit." #Bell related how Mr. Waller also discussed his son Randy's budding career, and praised the song Randy wrote about the prized Martin guitar his father had handed down to him. Mr. Waller also offered his thoughts on hanging out backstage with Elvis Presley when both were members of the Louisiana Hayride, and how the Kingston Trio admired the music of the Country Gentlemen.

Charlie helped define bluegrass singing and proved that he was one of the greatest the genre has ever seen. #As member of the Bluegrass Hall of Honor, Charlie is recognized worldwide by the entire Bluegrass listening community. #On behalf of Pinecastle Records we express our deepest sympathy to the numerous fans, friends, and family of Charlie. #Please have his family in your thoughts and prayers as we all mourn the death of a true bluegrass music legend.

07-F HOLE 3 POINT
Aug-19-2004, 9:00pm
This has really hit me hard, he was the last of my musical hero's...man i'm sure gonna miss him. went to his house a couple of years ago with my dad and family, he got out the guitar(s) mandos, and we picked a couple of hours i taped it and i wouldn't take anything for that tape. charlie i'm sure gonna miss you! without a doubt the best singer that ever lived in my opinion.....rjw

mandoJeremy
Aug-19-2004, 10:00pm
It is SO sad but how great would it to be to be able to just go out and visit your garden, witness God's natural beauty, and then move on?

Aug-20-2004, 5:06am
www.charliewaller.net (http://www.charliewaller.net) now lists funeral arrangements.

Scotti Adams
Aug-20-2004, 7:12am
..thanks Tim...

JDARTGOD
Aug-20-2004, 7:15am
I've written the site to get clarification on the arrangements. It lists visitation as Saturday (20 Aug) and Sunday (21 Aug).

My assumption is that Sat/Sun are correct but the dates are off. It's understandable with the great loss they're now dealing with. I only mention it here to clear up any confusion for those who are able to attend either service.

RIP Mr. Waller.

Aug-20-2004, 7:47am
Neither the Washington Post or the Charlottesville paper had anything in their online versions. #The Richmond paper confirms the day of the week (Sat/Sun) from the website.

Waller Obituary (http://www.legacy.com/TimesDispatch/LegacySubPage2.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=2532748)

Scott Tichenor
Aug-21-2004, 6:43am
This Washington Post article (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20405-2004Aug20.html) just appeared in their morning online version. Also this from the Tennessean.com (http://tennessean.com/entertainment/news/archives/04/08/56183731.shtml?Element_ID=56183731).

Also, coverage on CMT.com (http://www.cmt.com/news/articles/1490421/20040819/waller_charlie.jhtml?headlines=true).

One note, Washington Post often requires a login on your second attempt. I like their news well enough that I set up an account with them so I could read their articles. They seem to have pretty fair coverage for acoustic music for that part of the world--maybe the only sane news in that town.

Joe Parker
Aug-21-2004, 11:53am
National Public Radio aired a very nice tribute to Charlie on Thursday as part of the "All Things Considered" segment. A history of Charlie's musical career,as well as samples of him singing with the Gents,was a very thoughtful gesture and a testament to the broad appeal of one of Bluegrass music's finest singers. Another great one joins the Angel band.Rest in peace,Charlie.

JPP