PDA

View Full Version : Voight #7 Pics

Patrick Gunning
Jul-17-2009, 10:19pm
Hey everybody, finally getting around to posting these. Here's a few pictures of my new mandolin by Dan Voight, his seventh mandolin. He's a good friend who I met at the Mandolin Symposium last year, and after I played his second instrument, I just had to order one. So exactly one year after my friend Sean and I placed our orders at the symposium, we got our instruments hand-delivered to us there and jammed out with Dan on four of his instruments (our friend Bekah had since bought an A-style, #5).

It's got a red spruce top from Old Standard tonewoods, a great one-piece back from Bruce Harvie, a compound radius on the fretboard, and a hand-brushed violin varnish for the finish. I'd describe its tone as sweet yet throaty, with incredibly quick response off the strings. It also has quite an uncanny tonal similarity to Chris Thile's Dudenbostel #5. It beats the heck out of my old Collings MT, which was the best out of the dozen or so MT's I've ever played. Sufficed to say I love it, and my MAS is cured for the foreseeable future.

Anyhow, here are some pictures.

Patrick Gunning
Jul-17-2009, 10:19pm
Scroll detail.

Patrick Gunning
Jul-17-2009, 10:21pm
Different angle. These shots are somewhat redder than the mando is in real life. Also, a close-up of one of Dan's modified f-holes inspired by violin design.

Chris Biorkman
Jul-17-2009, 10:23pm
Wow, Patrick. That thing looks pretty close to perfection. Congrats. Headstock?

Patrick Gunning
Jul-17-2009, 10:24pm
Headstock inlay designed by Dan and I working together, but mostly from Dan's genius. We sent a bunch of sketches back and forth, and arrived at this.

Also note the screwless truss rod cover held on by rare-earth permanent magnets.

Patrick Gunning
Jul-17-2009, 10:25pm
Dan raises the scroll off the top somewhat higher than Loar spec. To alleviate the end-grain this would normally cause, Dan routes out the end-grain and inserts matching flame maple as the scroll ascends.

Patrick Gunning
Jul-17-2009, 10:26pm
Custom-ingraved James tailpiece, low-angle shot (probably the truest color of all the photos), and happy owner.

Patrick Gunning
Jul-17-2009, 10:30pm
I'd also like to add for those liking what they're seeing that Dan's a year younger than me, and building part-time while he studies music at University of Michigan.

Ken Olmstead
Jul-18-2009, 12:13am
Patrick, I think you may have sat next to me in Mike Marshall's odd time signature class. It was one of the new Voights and it sounded great!! I was the one that was obviously not meant to play time signatures that are not divisable by 2!! :)) Congradulations, it is a stunning mandolin!!

P.S. The headstock is to dye for!!

mossmanl
Jul-18-2009, 6:21am
Patrick ~ thanks for posting the pictures... beautiful mandolin. You look like a very contented guy in the last one. Will you be posting sound files or a video perhaps? My Voight is in the next batch Dan will be starting this summer. Congratulations.

Skip Kelley
Jul-18-2009, 6:26am
Patrick, congratulations on your new mandolin!! Dan is really going to make a name for himself. The mandolin is awesome in every way!

Patrick Gunning
Jul-18-2009, 11:23am
Mossmanl, I probably won't be posting soundclips until mid-August, because that's when I get back to Los Angeles where all my good recording gear is. I tried to take some soundclips using my Zoom H2 and it just didn't capture the full richness of the instrument (I know, I'm probably being too picky), so we'll have to wait until I can get it in front of my Shure KSM-44 or my MXL 603's. But I promise that some soundclips will surface eventually.

Baron Collins-Hill
Jul-20-2009, 7:45pm
i played a voight A5 at greyfox on saturday. what a sound! you are a lucky man.

JEStanek
Jul-20-2009, 7:54pm
Beautiful. Dan's got the skills and will be a force to reckon with, no doubt!

Jamie

Steve-o
Jul-20-2009, 8:08pm
Very nice looking F5, Patrick. Dan has come a long way in such a short time. So nice to see young luthiers taking up the trade. Enjoy your new Voight!

mandopete
Jul-22-2009, 10:39am
Congratulations Patrick, that is one sweet looking mandolin. Can't wait to hear it!