PDA

View Full Version : Old Kay

Susie A
Jul-16-2009, 7:09pm
I bought this because the first mandolin I ever heard was my Granny playing and she had a Kay.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=456&pictureid=3298

Bill Snyder
Jul-16-2009, 7:56pm
I hope it brings you joy.

MikeEdgerton
Jul-16-2009, 9:32pm
A Kay with the famous Kelvinator headstock.

Susie A
Jul-16-2009, 9:40pm
I hope it brings you joy.

She does! I have had her for a few years and everyone that sees her has questions. She doesn't sound half bad either.

Susie

Charley wild
Jul-16-2009, 9:40pm
Good for you, Susie! It serves as an example of the difference between the words "worth" and "value"!

Patrick Market
Jul-16-2009, 11:14pm
Good for you, Susie! It serves as an example of the difference between the words "worth" and "value"!

Well said! Susie, that's a beauty.

Jason Kessler
Jul-17-2009, 7:24am
Love the deco headstock.

Susie A
Jul-17-2009, 7:40am
Love the deco headstock.

Thanks!

I was very lucky to find one in as nice shape as this one. I had a friend that repairs instruments look at it and set it up. He played it and was happy with the sound. She has aged well. Not a performance instrument but everytime I look at her I thing about my G-Mother and think about the joy music has always brought me.

Susie

Skip Kelley
Jul-17-2009, 7:46am
Susie, Thats a cool mandolin! I love the peghead logo!

MikeEdgerton
Jul-17-2009, 11:45am
Kay had several variations on that headstock design. Here (http://www.frettedamericana.com/php/pages/display_item.php?make=Kay&abv=&id=450) is an even more radical version. It was reminiscent of the over the top style of the Kelvinator refrigerators. That and the common K in the brand name lead to the name of this style of Kay headstock.

Susie A
Jul-17-2009, 11:48am
Susie, Thats a cool mandolin! I love the peghead logo!

It is kewl but I think it could be a safety hazard, it is only tacked on (with what appear to be small nails) at 3 points so you have lots of sharp edges sticking up. Between that and the ends of the strings I think it could be used as a weapon ;)

Skip Kelley
Jul-17-2009, 1:08pm
Susie, If they don't like your music, you can bean them in the head with it!:grin: