PDA

View Full Version : How much do you play the tenor guitar?

Oggy
Jul-16-2009, 3:26pm
I must admit, I'm hooked on the TG-thing. I just love to play my Sundberg (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50397). I've had it for three months and it's still the instrument I play the most. I recieved a Kimble mandolin nine months ago, a superb instrument, and a nice vintage Martin guitar about seven months ago, very cool... but I don't play these even nearly as much as my TG. If I only have time to play one instrument in a day (between work and the kids and the household chores and...), its the TG. Am I sick, or what?

So how about you? How much do you play the tenor guitar? Do you consider it to be your main instrument?

JeffD
Jul-16-2009, 6:08pm
I have a mandolin out almost every day. My tenor guitar probably two or three times a month.

David Hansen
Jul-16-2009, 6:19pm
I got my Fletcher tenor guitar a little over a year ago and I play it quite a bit. It has replaced my mandolin at all my mando gigs in the last year but truth be told most of my gigs are as a guitarist. I'm still after a year really amazed at the tone of playability of the instrument. I'm afraid I don't consider it my main instrument but definitely tied for 2nd.

JeffD
Jul-16-2009, 9:52pm
I got my Fletcher tenor guitar a little over a year ago and I play it quite a bit. It has replaced my mandolin at all my mando gigs in the last year but truth be told most of my gigs are as a guitarist. I'm still after a year really amazed at the tone of playability of the instrument. I'm afraid I don't consider it my main instrument but definitely tied for 2nd.

Those Fletchers are taking the world by storm. And well they should, they are a great instrument.

Eddie Sheehy
Jul-17-2009, 12:29pm
I play my Soare's Y "Gibson" Tenor once in a blue moon. My main instruments are mandolins, mandolas, OM's, Zouks and guitar... even the tinwhistle get's more playtime than my TG... I'm a failure...A FAILURE....

Bernie Daniel
Jul-17-2009, 11:48pm
Eddie Sheely: I'm a failure...A FAILURE....

Not at all! You just need 30 hour days -- BTW I love that monster Soare's Y tenor you have -- it thunders.

I now have two tenor guitars and I go in streaks -- from a hour a week to an hour a day. As I am learning more chords and techniques on the tenor it starting to consistently be getting more and more of my time.

The mandolin will always be my number one -- but when I get to the point of starting to sing along with my Gibson TG it will start getting a lot more time.

However, TG's can be very addictive -- I have great mandolins but they all sound abrupt, tinny and a little clunky if you play one after 30 minutes on a sweet sounding tenor guitar.

Geoff B
Jul-18-2009, 12:36am
I recently finished a tele-tenor/octave mando and it's getting more playing time than my mando these days. Am now building a jaguar/jassmaster version of the same thing for a friend. Definitely addicting!

dburtnett
Jul-19-2009, 10:26pm
I play at least one of my tenors daily, it's now my main instrument. Sold the mando, and my octave is lonely.

I have an 0-18t in GDAE, and a sweet old Vega flattop with a banjo style neck in CGDA. A wood bodied National tenor triolian is on it's way to me now, not sure what that will end up in.

Pete Martin
Jul-20-2009, 1:21pm
Usually just in jams with Texas style fiddlers. A few times a year.

catmandu2
Jul-20-2009, 8:22pm
The only time I play my tenor guitars is when I'm rehearsing material that I'll be playing on tenor banjos. I haven't found a use for them yet, as I'll opt instead for standard guitar, CBOMs, or even ukes if my tenor banjos can't swing it. Perhaps if I had a nice archtop, or a reso TG...

Eddie Sheehy
Jul-23-2009, 1:39am
OK, I started playing the Tenor exclusively this week. Broke the A string - looked like a 12. After playing a few songs (before I broke the string) in CGDA I wasn't impressed with the "mellow" tone. After breaking the string I restrung it with Martin guitar strings - 43, 32, 23, 15 - GDAE. Now this bad-boy has an attitude...

flatt
Jul-23-2009, 4:17am
I recently finished a tele-tenor/octave mando and it's getting more playing time than my mando these days. Am now building a jaguar/jassmaster version of the same thing for a friend. Definitely addicting!

Just took a look at your website .. now that single cutaway jazzy-looking mandolin is JUST beautiful!!!!!!!!!

And THAT (and I'm going to kick myself because I want one but just don't have the money!) could make a lovely 5-string octave/baritone mandolin semi-acoustic rock'n'roller ..... ? Ahh! a "Gretsch Country Gentlemando" - just needs the Bigsby!

Brandon Flynn
Jul-25-2009, 11:21am
I play at least an hour per week.

mandolooter
Jul-25-2009, 11:05pm
everyday...just lke my mandolin. Lately my tenor banjo has been getting played daily too but I need to string it up GDAE like everything else.

Bob DeVellis
Jul-26-2009, 7:05pm
Playing guitar more than mando these days, I recently had a bunch of work done on my 1945 0-17T tenor. It got a neck reset, bridge re-glue, new saddle, fret re-install, and is now set up in "Chicago tuning," like the top 4 strings on a guitar. For the Irish stuff I play, a surprising number of tunes don't go below D. The all-mahogany small body has a distinctive tone. It's still a long way from my main instrument, but in its fixed-up condition, it's great fun to play.

first string
Aug-11-2009, 7:16am
I started on mando, but the tenor has taken over as my main instrument. However, I think the bouzouki might be where I end up, if I can ever get together the funds. That said, my 1940 0-18T is the only instrument I've ever had that I can say with certainty, that I will never part with.