PDA

View Full Version : Down By The Sally Gardens

Keltic Fiddler
Aug-18-2004, 12:46pm
Does anyone know where I can find the sheet music and guitar chords for this tune? This is a slow air in the key of D, and not the fairly fast tempo reel that I have heard in some sessions.

Thanks!

Adare_Steve
Aug-18-2004, 1:40pm
Keltic,

Do you need 'Down by the Sally Gardens' (a folk song) or 'The Sally Gardens' (a reel)? You can find the song in many Irish balled books, including 'Folksongs & Ballads Popular in Ireland', published by Ossian. The reel is definitely in 110 Irelands Best Session Tunes vol. 1', published by Waltons. You will also find it in the 'tunes' section of: www.thesession.org

Both of the books I mention have music and chords. The website only has the notes, not chords. If you need help getting the books, e-mail me.

Sorry, finally read your post properly! The tune is definitely NOT a slow air (as in: slow instrumental). You may have heard it played as such, but what you heard was, in all probability, the melody of the folk song without the words. The tune you need, therefore, is in the Ossian book (not sure which volume - there are 4), but I can look it up for you.

Steve Power

Jim M.
Aug-18-2004, 4:22pm
Go to http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/findtune.html

and search on the song title. You can then get the tune in PDF or GIF or other formats.

Keltic Fiddler
Aug-19-2004, 10:27am
Steve and Jim,

Thanks for the help. I was able to find the tune on the web site.

Steve, the first time I heard this tune it was played like a slow air, which is what I thought it was. I've also heard the tune used as a hymn, with different words written for it of course.

Anyway, thanks again for the help