PDA

View Full Version : Very Fresh Gilchrist Model 1

Squire
Jul-09-2009, 8:23pm
Just arrived this morning!

fatt-dad
Jul-09-2009, 8:42pm
I'll come visit!

Beautiful mandolin, nicely appointed, in my style - well done to both the orderer and the builder!

fatt-dad
Richmond, Virginia

DougC
Jul-09-2009, 9:00pm
This is my ideal mandolin. Wow! Can we hear an audio clip? Who else has one of these?
Thanks

Squire
Jul-09-2009, 10:21pm
This is my ideal mandolin. Wow! Can we hear an audio clip? Who else has one of these?
Thanks

Mr. Gilchrist himself with Mike Compton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXO2Z1wX0_M

Don Grieser has some great pics, recordings and such in another Thread Titled: Gilchrist Model 1

Also some really great stuff on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8bV4cbBI4A

Sorry, I haven't figured out how to Wrap (You Tube or Code) tags around selected text???

frankenstein
Jul-09-2009, 10:28pm
nice !!

man dough nollij
Jul-09-2009, 10:38pm
Sorry, I haven't figured out how to Wrap (You Tube or Code) tags around selected text???

What you want to do is hit the red YouTube button, then paste just the part of the URL that's after the equals sign. For simplicity, I just paste the whole URL in the box and delete the first part. Change http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8bV4cbBI4A to l8bV4cbBI4A. Works like a champ.

Jill McAuley
Jul-09-2009, 10:41pm
That is drop dead gorgeous!!! What a mandolin!!!

Cheers,
Jill

Bob Stolkin
Jul-09-2009, 10:51pm
Oh, man, I really want one of those. That is stunning.

Ken Olmstead
Jul-09-2009, 10:57pm
Nice!

John Flynn
Jul-09-2009, 11:00pm
Thanks
It is my ideal mandolin also, but I am making do very well with my Old Wave oval A. I think it will hold me for a while, and in these times, it will have to.

There are at least two other Cafe' members who either have recently, or very soon will, take deliveries of Gil Model One's. Fess up, guys! Let's see the pix and hear the clips. I don't want to have to name names! ;)

John Rosett
Jul-09-2009, 11:24pm
I played one from the latest batch yesterday. It's very, very nice.

Mark Seale
Jul-10-2009, 9:02am
Very nice. I've seen a few of these and this is the first one I've seen with a back having that much figure. Now get to breaking it in. They only get better.

Tom C
Jul-10-2009, 9:10am
Wow 2 in 2 days.
Another fellow cafe member got his yesterday and I got to play it. It looks exactly the same. Even the wood grain is the same. They must be from the same tree. Are you sure you are not from NY and changed your name? It sounded great and played like butter. Very,very comfortable neck. I like how he engraved the headstock for the black on black logo and tortoise on inside of hole.

JEStanek
Jul-10-2009, 9:11am
Lovely and very desireable.

Jamie

Mark Seale
Jul-10-2009, 9:16am
Wow 2 in 2 days.
Another fellow cafe member got his yesterday and I got to play it. It looks exactly the same. Even the wood grain is the same. They must be from the same tree. Are you sure you are not from NY and changed your name? It sounded great and played like butter. Very,very comfortable neck. I like how he engraved the headstock for the black on black logo and tortoise on inside of hole.

There were 16 in the batch. Let's see 'em all!

One of the best things about these is the neck profile. Gilchrist just nails this and in his builder workshop at the Symposium stresses its importance.

Bob Caldwell
Jul-10-2009, 11:38am
I'll fess up. Mine came Wednesday and I'm really enjoying getting to know it. The neck profile is very, very much like my F. That's two for Virginia!

John Flynn
Jul-10-2009, 12:01pm
I'll fess up. Mine came Wednesday and I'm really enjoying getting to know it. The neck profile is very, very much like my F. That's two for Virginia!
There's a third coming to Virginia, then, and one to Missouri. So we still haven't heard from everyone. :cool:

oldwave maker
Jul-10-2009, 12:03pm
Ahhhhh, that's my ideal mandolin too. Always amusing to read those 'why would anybody want to make an ovalhole' threads......

Brumo
Jul-10-2009, 1:20pm
I was fortunate enough to get one of this batch. It sounds as good as it looks.

mtucker
Jul-10-2009, 1:29pm
There's a third coming to Virginia, then, and one to Missouri. So we still haven't heard from everyone. :cool:

A little mixup on some of the cases that got sorted very quickly by Calton. Last eight will ship Monday, one of them here to LA. Would anyone mind posting a pic of the mint/red case ... to hold me over till tuesday ..

Bob Caldwell
Jul-10-2009, 2:11pm
Here's a couple of photos, the case color is quite nice.

mtucker
Jul-10-2009, 2:29pm
Indeed, very nice. Can't wait! The Laser cut logo came out schweet and 'babies got back', to boot! I have a late '22 A (snake) so it will be an interesting taste test, although I think I already know some answers to my questions. Mucho bueno, Bob.

Tripp Johnson
Jul-10-2009, 4:20pm
Well, I guess I'm the third in Virginia...finally able to put this thing down to post. It arrived yesterday morning...:mandosmiley:

Don Grieser
Jul-10-2009, 8:52pm
Congrats all. Keep those photos coming. Mine's 2 years old now and really coming into its own.

chip
Jul-10-2009, 9:17pm
How can I get one?:(

Don Grieser
Jul-10-2009, 9:28pm
Contact Gruhn's. They're handling Steve's orders these days.

chip
Jul-10-2009, 9:33pm
When was the first year for this model and what price range are the newer ones?

Bob Stolkin
Jul-10-2009, 10:18pm
About $7k, is that right?

Squire
Jul-11-2009, 1:28am
I'm not exactly sure the first year for the Model 1? The only other "1's" I had seen had been Steve's prototype and Don Grieser's, which as he said is now 2 years old. Here's a little more info about the Model 1 from earlier article's:

"Styled after Gibson A junior mandolins of the 1920's, the Model 1 features the hardest maple and spruce, increasing its power and projection, the result of which is a truly world class professional grade mandolin."

"Model 1's appointments include a red spruce top, single strut brace, ebony fingerboard, clamshell tailpiece, Elite tuners, spirit varnish finish, and hardshell case. The same options for nut width and fingerboard radius are offered."

Now lets see some more!

Come out, come out wherever you are!

trevor
Jul-11-2009, 9:34am
Expecting mine next week....

fatt-dad
Jul-11-2009, 8:55pm
Tripp, I saw this thread and thought of you! Glad it arrived safely and can't wait to see it one day. I'm sure you'll be keeping it plenty busy - ha.

f-d

Tripp Johnson
Jul-13-2009, 4:29am
Thanks F-D! Come play it anytime.

Still getting settled in with this mandolin, but it's a keeper for sure. Played 3 gigs and our jam with it this weekend and it's amazing, hearing it opening up.

Will give a more detailed report after it's been played a bit more.

Meanwhile......:mandosmiley:

luckylarue
Jul-13-2009, 8:55am
I want one so bad my stomach hurts. Just don't try playing bluegrass on those oval-holes - not allowed.

sgarrity
Jul-13-2009, 9:13am
Sounds like I need to make a trip up to Richmond!

Jonas
Jul-14-2009, 6:46pm
I want one really bad as well, and that's just based on the looks! I bet if I got to play one, that desire would not diminish at all...

Don Christy
Jul-14-2009, 11:56pm
Just received mine today! It's a beauty and sounds sweet already. The mint green Calton is sweet too.

Mine is the next to last one in the photo of the batch - #640. I'll post some pictures when I can (probably this weekend).
Don

Potosimando
Jul-15-2009, 12:50am
I have a 1997 Model 1. Best sounding oval that I have ever heard, by a country mile; one of the best-sounding mandolins of any kind that I have ever heard, actually. Huge bass and stinging highs. It looks quite different from the new ones in color (reddish and blond combo) and top wood (I think mine is Englemann...extremely tight grained). The neck is unbelievably comfortable, too--very small and feels just, well "absolutely perfect" in my hands. At any rate, I have been on Cloud 9 over this instrument for years; suspect the same will be true for the owners of the new batch.

trevor
Jul-15-2009, 9:09am
Its here, its awesome.. lots of tubby, delightful Gibsonesque bass but with unbelievable clarity and projection. Wow!

John Malayter
Jul-15-2009, 1:18pm
You guys are killing me.......very bad influence.

Question, how do these compare to the Gibby's or do they? Forgive me, i've never had the pleasure
They look simply great.

This is more of a preparedness for my wifes question when I place the order........
Does anyone know if he still does the F hole A models and price.

Thanks

jm

Mark Seale
Jul-15-2009, 1:29pm
Comparing them to the few Gibson's I've played and the 3 Model 1's, Gil's have been more clear and punchy while retaining the roundness of the bass sound.

Yes, he will still make f hole A models. This last batch was a bit of a catch up on back ordered model 1s.

Pete Martin
Jul-15-2009, 1:55pm
Stunning. Hope to play one sometime...

mtucker
Jul-15-2009, 4:50pm
Got my A jr (economando) yesterday ...tehehe .. oh man! Steve completely nailed it!

Yes, clear and lots of punch/projection right out of the box. Presence of gibby tubby tone on the low side and not muddy either. The sides and back are just killer and the flamed neck and ebony (overlay) peghead with flamed wings add a classy touch. Steve's wide-grain top is saweeet, a perfect vintage amber finish that's maybe a pinch on the darker side. Its' so dang utilitarian looking, it just begs for playtime.

Overall feel IS more substantive (perhaps slightly heavier, also) than my snakehead which is good one. The marriage of the ebony board to the flamed neck seems a tad sturdier and more precise and Steve's fretwork and dressed ends are ... well ... ummm ... Spot On. It's very very capable of pulling its' own weight in all settings.

The Sweet 16 (Ajr's) came standard or wider nut and flat or radiused boards. Mine's standard but with a radiused board. Very comparable to my A in shape/feel but the radius works a tiny better for me. Although I'm not bagging on the flat board of my gibby, cause I like that, too.

Steve refitted the turned ebony buttons so they would tuck-in closer to the peghead which is just another small detail that is ever so subtle but makes a diff in the end. The case and color combo is really cool.

Overall it's just a sweet wonderful instrument that easily fits in as a long term family member.

John Malayter
Jul-16-2009, 2:17pm
I just heard from Gruhns below,,,,,,, bad bad bad man

Yes, I’m handling the orders for Gilchrist mandolins. We just delivered the latest batch of Model 1 mandolins. They are phenomenal. I expect delivery of the next batch of Model 1 mandolins in late spring of 2010. Would you like to be added to that list? The 2009 price was $7000 with an option to upgrade to a Calton case.
Christie Carter
christie@gruhn.com

pjlama
Jul-17-2009, 12:13am
I heard of one of those making it up to Bozeman, MT. He's not a regular poster so I won't say who but he said it's sweet. I got to play the Grieser model 1 when it was pup and it was sweet but I'm dying to play it now that it's a toddler.

trevor
Jul-17-2009, 6:22am
Here's mine..

dasspunk
Jul-17-2009, 7:14am
Hey George, thanks for the email. I do love the shot of the whole herd. Without the finish, mine stuck out more (the lone pumpkin top (thanks again Steve!)) without the finish. I'll be curious to see how she looks as well as sounds as the years pass (should darken with time).

Here's a quick pic of 634 that came last week. I got the wide neck, flat board. The sound is as stunning as the craftsmanship. Steve has the goods. Now I just need to learn how to play her... she's having none of my usual Bluegrass "F" shenanigans.

Looking forward to seeing more pics from the herd!

Brian

Don Grieser
Jul-17-2009, 8:55am
It'll take on those F bluegrass shenanigans in just a short while. Mine responds just as well to a beating as it does to playing purty.

Jonathan James
Jul-17-2009, 9:33am
great photos, Trevor. I really love that nice wide grain on the front....

Don Christy
Jul-17-2009, 5:42pm
I spoke with Mike Compton. He sampled 8-9 of the batch while they were at Gruhn's. He was amazed at how consistent they all were. I'm digging mine. Pictures tomorrow.
Don

Nat
Jul-18-2009, 5:51pm
Number 633 arrived yesterday. Had to wait a little longer than the rest of you folks due to my schedule.

It is a pretty spectacular thing. I'll need to think and listen some more before commenting on it too much, but it already does things my '23 snakehead can't do (at least in my hands).

Here is what getting one of these shipped to you looks like:

It starts with a nondescript box from Nashville...

Opening the box, the first thing you find is an envelope containing a Gruhn's t-shirt, a data CD containing a few professional photos of your mandolin (including one of Mr. Gilchrist holding your particular instrument), and your receipt.

Your Calton has the keys tied to it, and is adorned with a Gruhn's logo that looks like it could stop a bullet.

Nat
Jul-18-2009, 5:54pm
Opening the case for the first time, you find your warranty card and a nifty Gilchrist pick.

Inside the case pocket is a blank bridge saddle and a welcome letter from Calton.

The two full-body pictures of the full instrument were taken by Gruhn's, and were included on the CD.

Number 633 has the standard neck and a radius on the fingerboard.

The Calton is mint green exterior, vintage green interior, with the A-shaped insert.

Jonathan James
Jul-18-2009, 8:27pm
what great marketing, not that Gilchrist needs it. I love how they thought thru all the little details, from photos and pics to t-shirts. really shows they understand how freakin exciting it is to buy a new mandolin, let alone a new Gilchrist!

Perry
Jul-20-2009, 9:15am
Congrats to fellow Model One owners!

#637 here standard fingerboard radius neck; I had an old Calton so I shipped it down to Christie in advance. BTW Christie was a pleasure to deal with and the T-shirt (super cool) and the CD with the pics is a nice touch indeed. The neck is very comfortable and completely different from a Model 5 as it should be.The pictures, while great quality, really don't do it justice; these mandolins are just unbelievably gorgeous in person.

They make quite a racket already! Great bottom end sustain,plenty of highs and typical Gilchrist playability, fit and finish. It's perfect in every regard. I'm looking forward to slamming away on it for the next few months.

And I'm sure gonna play a few bluegrass tunes on it!

sgarrity
Jul-20-2009, 9:20am
Alright guys, we're gonna need some YouTube videos of these little gems!!

Perry
Jul-23-2009, 10:17am
Fresh Gilchrist Model One

James S
Jul-23-2009, 12:16pm
That sounds awesome Perry! If you ever need someone to watch it, you have my number! :))

- James

Goodin
Jul-24-2009, 9:47am
how is the volume on these 1's? playability compared to a 20's Gibson A snakehead?

Narayan Kersak
Jul-24-2009, 9:59am
That is an excellent mandolin. Good work!

luckylarue
Jul-24-2009, 3:30pm
Mint Green Calton - very cool.

Squire
Aug-04-2009, 5:35pm
Yes it's Purple with a wine interior. Let's see some more!

Perry
Aug-05-2009, 6:10pm
A few weeks less fresh:

mtucker
Aug-06-2009, 5:35pm
Eye candy shot of the gaggle..! :cool: Niice, Perry.

Don Grieser
Aug-06-2009, 10:46pm
mtucker, what an amazing shot! Thanks for posting it. Mighty fine, Perry.

SternART
Aug-07-2009, 4:22pm
From the looks of that photo, Steve is hand carving into the wee hours by candlelight.

man dough nollij
Aug-07-2009, 4:29pm
Doing the math, those tops represent about $126,000 worth of mandolins!

SternART
Aug-07-2009, 10:45pm
And worth every penny from what the owners in this thread are saying about them.

PhilGE
Aug-07-2009, 11:06pm
Perry's clearly workin' that investment and reaping the rewards. Very, Very nice...

mtucker
Aug-07-2009, 11:46pm
mtucker, what an amazing shot! Thanks for posting it.
You're very welcome, Don. I liked the shot too.

leathermarshmallow
Aug-13-2009, 7:46am
My post may be considered heresy. I think that is a beautiful mandolin and I am sure that it sounds wonderful, but look around at some of the other mandolins that have pics posted on here. That Gilchrist is no more beautiful than some and I am sure that it sounds no better than some. I think everyone is just associating the name with the mandolin and nothing more. It is just like everyone oohing and aaahing over a $150,000 sports car than can't perform as well as a $30,000 Mustang.

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

AlanN
Aug-13-2009, 9:18am
Quote: That Gilchrist is no more beautiful than some and I am sure that it sounds no better than some. I think everyone is just associating the name with the mandolin and nothing more.

You're sure? How can that be? Oh, you've picked one...what's that? You haven't picked one?

Again with the quote: That Gilchrist is no more beautiful than some and I am sure that it sounds no better than some. I think everyone is just associating the name with the mandolin and nothing more.

Btw, that is Steve's 'manufacturing plant'. You should see the view out the winder (from someone who has no winders in the office).

Chris Biorkman
Aug-13-2009, 9:22am
Will Kimble told me the other day that the Gilchrist ovals are the best he's ever played. That says a lot to me.

John Flynn
Aug-13-2009, 9:49am
Like Greg above, I have long been a critic of "nameplates" on mandolins. I often wonder why people spend so much on instruments that are not any better than some that are half the price. But I got to play one of this batch of Gil ovals a few weeks ago. First, it is one of the most beautiful mandolins I've ever seen close up. The fit and finish is just breathtaking. It's hard to adequately describe it, you just have to see it. The playability is out of this world.

The tone seemed a little "tight," which you would expect from a brand new instrument, but it still sounded great, very even across the fretboard, with great volume. When you play a chord, the notes seem very crisp and distinct, instead of "mushed together." A lot of new ovals, including my Old Wave when it was new, start to fade out as you go up high on the E string. But the Gil was strong all the way up the scale. If I had seven grand to spend, I'd buy one, and that is about the only instrument I can think of I would spend that much money on.

Tom C
Aug-13-2009, 10:12am
The Bedbugs vs The Roaches. :popcorn:

Glassweb
Aug-13-2009, 11:53am
[QUOTE=leathermarshmallow;700832]My post may be considered heresy. I think that is a beautiful mandolin and I am sure that it sounds wonderful, but look around at some of the other mandolins that have pics posted on here. That Gilchrist is no more beautiful than some and I am sure that it sounds no better than some. I think everyone is just associating the name with the mandolin and nothing more. It is just like everyone oohing and aaahing over a $150,000 sports car than can't perform as well as a $30,000 Mustang.

i understand your perspective on this one... a bunch of people feel the same way about Loar F5s... but until you've had a really fine example of a Loar, a Gil, a Kimble, a Dude, a Monteleone etc... in your hands and played it for a while there's no way... well... you get the picture. by the way, $7K is not at all an outrageous price for an instrument of this quality made by the man who many consider the greatest living mandolin luthier. the pictures shown here only begin to tell the story...

sgarrity
Aug-13-2009, 12:15pm
The great thing about the internet is that so many people feel the need to offer their uninformed opinions. :grin:

I think they're beautiful and the videos sound great. I'm looking forward to getting to play one soon. It's taking every ounce of will power I have not to get on the list for one.....

Bob Stolkin
Aug-13-2009, 12:20pm
Methinks there may be a measure of envy that occasionally drives some of these remarks.

mtucker
Aug-13-2009, 1:44pm
It's hard to adequately describe it, you just have to see it. The playability is out of this world.

The tone seemed a little "tight," which you would expect from a brand new instrument, but it still sounded great, very even across the fretboard, with great volume. When you play a chord, the notes seem very crisp and distinct, instead of "mushed together."
Its opened up a ton since new, and I've hardly picked anything else. There are indeed a lot of really talented builders and high praises to all of them but few who have what Steve's got and with such consistently great results. Like Alan and Glass said; If you ever get the chance to pick one, there's no hype, it's truly a fine mandolin.

mtucker
Aug-13-2009, 1:45pm
It's hard to adequately describe it, you just have to see it. The playability is out of this world.

The tone seemed a little "tight," which you would expect from a brand new instrument, but it still sounded great, very even across the fretboard, with great volume. When you play a chord, the notes seem very crisp and distinct, instead of "mushed together."
Right on, John. Its opened up a ton since new, and I've hardly picked anything else. There are indeed a lot of really talented builders and high praises to all of them but few who have what Steve's got and with such consistently great results. Like Alan and Glass said; If you ever get the chance to pick one, there's no hype, it's truly a fine mandolin.

buckles
Nov-16-2009, 12:13pm
Howdy.... just thought I'd bump this thread to see if there are any new sound clips or pointers to sound clips, or takes on this model.

sgarrity
Jan-26-2014, 2:16am
Out of curiosity I thought I'd bump this old thread and see how the Model 1's are doing these days??

yankees1
Jan-26-2014, 10:50am
Out of curiosity I thought I'd bump this old thread and see how the Model 1's are doing these days?? Don't know about the Gilchrist 1 but I do love your youtube of "Can't You Hear Me Calling" !