PDA

View Full Version : Electric Mandocello, Who Uses Em?!

freshthreat
Jul-09-2009, 5:11pm
I would like to know what other rock-type artists use electric mandocello's besides Cheap Trick? :confused:
Here's a video of me noodling on my Echeverria mandocello with distortion...be easy on me y'all!:))
F06hiDmkLtM

freshthreat
Jul-09-2009, 5:42pm
I thought y'all might want a beauty shot of said mandocello. Here ya' go!http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb149/freshthreat/stormingmandocelo006.jpg

Chief
Jul-10-2009, 9:23am
very cool. can I ask where you got that axe? I guess I've never seen one before.

freshthreat
Jul-10-2009, 11:35am
It was made by a local (Tucson...now lives in Houston) luthier named Richard Echeverria from a small maple body of an old student Gretsch that someone had destroyed thinking they were Pete Townsend.:crying:
He did some magic on rejoining all the bits of the body and then reshaped it into what we see here. He made the neck separately and the bridge is all hand machined.
When I walked into his shop off Fourth Ave. I saw this and a few other of his awesomely weird (yet high quality) guitars and I had to have it!
I traded my 1930's Rickenbacker lap steel for it. Best trade ever. :mandosmiley:

mrmando
Jul-10-2009, 1:28pm
Schveet. Peter Buck reportedly has an Echevarria e-mando.

Dennis Fano is another electric mandocello player who comes to mind. Then there are the Schecter Celloblasters & Pentasystem stuff.

freshthreat
Jul-10-2009, 4:48pm
The Schecter Cello-Blaster looks to be way cool! Is it tuned C-e? Are all five strings (including 5 string mandolins) tuned this way?
I remember Echeverria talking about Peter Buck...but if he has one of his 'cellos I must see it!
Seems that I have more than a few things in common with Mr. Buck! Rickenbackers, mandolins and now this here mandocello...nice.

mrmando
Jul-10-2009, 4:56pm
Buck's Echevarria is a mandolin, not a mandocello.

freshthreat
Jul-10-2009, 5:12pm
Oops...still wanna see it though.:popcorn:

mrmando
Jul-10-2009, 5:27pm
Photo at emando.com.

freshthreat
Jul-10-2009, 5:42pm
Wow those are some tasty mando's! The octave has a familiar flavor going on there. Thanks for pointing me in right direction!
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb149/freshthreat/Echevarria_octave.gif
Emando.com looks to be addicting. Yess.