PDA

View Full Version : Central Jersey players

flairbzzt
Aug-17-2004, 6:38pm
I'm looking for a mandolin and guitar player in the Somerset/Hunterdon county area of central Jersey. #I also play country and bluegrass, but I enjoy playing the music I grew up with as taught to me by my father. #Just want to play with those who enjoy the same music.

Jim Garber
Aug-18-2004, 6:14am
I enjoy playing the music I grew up with as taught to me by my father. #Just want to play with those who enjoy the same music.
What kind(s) of music did your father teach you? Was he a classical player?

I live too far away in Westchester county NY. You could contact Barry Mitterhoff and see if he has any students in the area. Email me for contact info... his info is entirely incorrect on the CMSA instructors page.

Jim

flairbzzt
Aug-18-2004, 4:10pm
I guess you might call it Italian folk- lots of mazurkas, waltzes, etc. He wrote a large number of songs with his uncle that have been kept in the family and are beautiful melodies. #that along with Italian standards and the like I would say...

Jim Garber
Aug-18-2004, 4:48pm
I guess you might call it Italian folk- lots of mazurkas, waltzes, etc. He wrote a large number of songs with his uncle that have been kept in the family and are beautiful melodies. #that along with Italian standards and the like I would say...
flairbzzt
Sounds wonderful. Do you have recordings of him and/or your uncle? Would you be interested in sharing some of his music with us? Were any of these pieces published?

I have been playing and collecting Italian tunes for a number of years. I have some on this page (http://www.paperclipdesign.com/19ctunes/).

Jim

flairbzzt
Aug-18-2004, 7:48pm
Yes, I do have recordings of them, originally on reel to reel, transferred to cassette and I'm in the process of converting to cd. #I wouldn't mind sharing the tunes at all. None of it has ever been published, though I've urged my dad to do so for many years. #He's 78 now, and can't play much anymore (he passed his Martin 2-15 on to me). I've had all the music in my head for most of my 42 years and fear that it will pass with him- I learned the songs; I never learned to read the music. That's another project in front of me. I'll see if I can get some of the recordings #to disc and scan some of the music to send to you.

Jim Garber
Aug-18-2004, 8:11pm
That would be wonderful. I can even set up a web page to share the music if you like.

Jim

Eugene
Aug-18-2004, 8:16pm
Sound groovy. I'd love to hear.