PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Lyon and Healy Mandolin

eggsd
Jul-08-2009, 1:10pm
Hello, I have a Lyon and Healy Model C Mandolin. The serial # is 63. Can anyone tell me what year this was made and its approximate value? The mandolin is in very good condition and plays great. It also has an original hard shell case. Thanks

mrmando
Jul-08-2009, 1:41pm
63 is an early serial number. If you slide off the tailpiece cover you'll find that the tailpiece itself has either a PAT. PEND. or PAT. 1918 stamp on it ... I'm guessing yours says PAT. PEND., which means it's pre-1918. For further information on the date, you would have to consult Hubert Pleijsier's book on prewar Washburn instruments (http://www.amazon.com/Washburn-Prewar-Instrument-Styles-Pleijsier/dp/157424227X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247078618&sr=1-1).

A Style C recently sold on eBay for a little under $900, and didn't appear to have any problems other than a partial crack in the pickguard. Dealers will often price them at $1500-1800 or even $2K.

BradKlein
Jul-08-2009, 1:57pm
The tailpiece on #113, a C model says "Pat. Apl'd For" - visible with the tailpiece cover on. There's good reason to believe that this instrument was sold around May 22, 1919 - since that's the date engraved on its tailpiece cover, beneath the (probably original) owner's name: Emmis W. Clarke. (there's a name you don't hear much anymore, Emmis!)

eggsd
Jul-08-2009, 3:02pm
It does say pat. pend. Thanks for the info.

Capt. E
Jul-08-2009, 4:54pm
Congratulations on your Lyon & Healy C. I tried for the one that recently sold on Ebay, but missed it. $900 was a rather good price with the case and all. There is one for sale here in Austin for $2000 at a local vintage instrument dealer. That is probably a bit high, especially because it had an electric pickup installed. Instrument collectors don't like alterations. I was looking for one to play.

Bob A
Jul-08-2009, 6:15pm
It might be of interest to those few who are not familiar with the L&H A, B & C mandolins to know that they came in 2 scale lengths, 13" and 14" (approx). The early ones were the longer scaled, I believe.

IMO these mandos are still real sleepers; wonderful instruments for much $$ than the more common vintage mandolins.

mrmando
Jul-08-2009, 6:33pm
The tailpiece on #113, a C model says "Pat. Apl'd For" - visible with the tailpiece cover on. There's good reason to believe that this instrument was sold around May 22, 1919 - since that's the date engraved on its tailpiece cover,
That might well be a sale date, or perhaps the date someone presented it to Mr. Clarke.

This would raise an interesting question: once granted the 1918 patent, did L&H immediately start using tailpieces stamped with that patent date, or did they use up the existing supply of "Pat. Apl'd For" tailpieces first? -- so that the presence of a 1918 tailpiece might actually indicate that the instrument was built at least a year or two later?

beneath the (probably original) owner's name: Emmis W. Clarke. (there's a name you don't hear much anymore, Emmis!)
I don't know, I try to watch the Emmis every year (not as fun as the Oscars, but still a good show).