Check out my little buddy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prODULBBIKM

mandozilla
Jul-03-2009, 12:47pm
Oh My God!!! :grin:

~o):mandosmiley:

Randy King
Jul-03-2009, 2:52pm
Kyle has played with the Grascals, his mando is signed by Danny Roberts. Ricky Skaggs knows him by name, he met Ricky at the ripe old age of 5. He has performed with J D Crowe, James Monroe, Dailey & Vincent, and numerous local bands from southern Indiana. I wish I could play like he does!!!

Randy King
Jul-03-2009, 3:16pm
Here is more of Kyle Ramey!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZTXsoe0zxE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XBpeF3cppM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8pRHSVTHiw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL6Pcu7EAMc&feature=related

Bernie Daniel
Jul-04-2009, 10:57am
Yeah simply unbelievable! Sierra Hull move over there is a new prodigy on the mandolin stage. Notice how he sways back and forth much like Monroe used to do? It eerie but thrilling too.

mandomania7923
Jul-04-2009, 12:41pm
He is friends with sierra, He played with her at IBMA on the gibson showcase stage.

Randy King
Jul-04-2009, 7:48pm
Yes He Is! This was Last Year In Xenia, Ohio

Randy King
Jul-04-2009, 7:51pm
This Was In Xenia, Ohio Too!

Randy King
Jul-04-2009, 7:55pm
He Just Keeps Getting Better And Better!!!

JeffD
Jul-05-2009, 2:10am
There is something otherworldy about this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILV9U54DWyk

Bernie Daniel
Jul-05-2009, 6:25am
mandomania7923: He is friends with sierra, He played with her at IBMA on the gibson showcase stage.

Very cool. Everything is due to chance -- had he been born in New York city he would probably be playing Paganini on the violin.

BTW I have to compliment him also on his choice of mandolin -- a Gibson Fern! :)

Joel Spaulding
Jul-05-2009, 7:12am
Kyle is great! His right hand is wicked and his left hand is finding cool tones up and down the fretboard.

My wife and I picked up Kyle's CD at Glen Hensley's booth (of the missed Lonesometown Records; Louisville, KY) when we attended The Festival of the Bluegrass, a few weeks ago.

I can't imagine having that kind of focus at his age. Having reached 41.... wow Grisman's tremolo is really sweet on this ....did I lock the back door? there is little chance of acheiving that kind of focus before I leave this realm.

Any of us who are less than pleased with our small fingers should check out how Kyle seems to adapt some melodies to be a bit friendlier to the left hand. Tasteful and energetic playing. I have been keeping up chopping along with some of the tunes on the CD but I just ain't cuttin' it on the leads and breaks-even on the tunes I "know":redface:

It will be interesting to see how he develops stylistically. He certainly is getting a great handle on traditional BG.

This young man is a great inspiration. :mandosmiley:

300win
Jul-05-2009, 8:43pm
AIN't THAT GREAT !!!!!!!! 44 years of picking I have, what's he have 2-3, it took me about 15 years to get to that level ! Wonder what he will sound like in 10 years ? Be looking forward to hearing it.

Tracy Ballinger
Jul-07-2009, 10:05am
I've also had the opportunity to see Kyle play a few times; he's played onstage several times at the festival in Wilmington, OH. I was sitting next to him at a workshop with Jesse Brock & Alan Bibey, and his dad was sitting behind us. I know Kyle has to have a lot of drive to be as good as he is, but from the comments his dad was making to him during the workshop about something one of the hosts said, I'm sure he pushes him a lot, too.

Bernie Daniel
Jul-07-2009, 11:43am
I know Kyle has to have a lot of drive to be as good as he is, but from the comments his dad was making to him during the workshop about something one of the hosts said, I'm sure he pushes him a lot, too.

If true that could be a problem in the longer term -- and of course I don't know that it is true in this case either.

But I would think a talent like that will probably develop in its own good way without undue pushing -- certainly it is also important to BE child while of a child's age.

Maybe parents living vicariously through their childeren are to reason so many musical prodigies burn out? Just wondering.

Bernie Daniel
Jul-07-2009, 11:43am
dup post

JimRichter
Jul-07-2009, 11:58am
Randy--where is Kyle from? As you know, I grew up out there where you live (my brother lives outside of Versailles on US50 going out toward Holton). I know Olivia is from around Greensburg, so I'm curious where Kyle is from.

Jim

JimRichter
Jul-07-2009, 12:02pm
Randy--I didn't know you were picking with my buddies, Jack and Linda Bustle. I didn't realize Jack was picking banjo again. Linda on bass? Back when I was the teenage bluegrass banjo whiz kid in those parts more than 20 years ago, Jack was my banjo mentor and we were in a band with Von McGuire and my brother Phil playing out in that area.

Last time I saw Jack was with the band Common Ground (?) out at Henryville a couple years ago. I think that was the band that Olivia was playing w/ occasionally.

Randy King
Jul-07-2009, 5:23pm
Hi Jim How ya doin? I see Phil from time to time, Kyle is from North Vernon, His Grandpa is Leland Ramey, and one of the dandiest mandolin pickers I know, and that young fellow does not need any push from his parents. He likes what hes doing and is self driven!

Jack does play bass with Common Ground and they kick some grass, pardon the expression! But he also picks banjo with us, I don't think hes ever not played banjo as long as I can remember! and Linda on bass. Ronnie Deaton also with Common Ground, also plays lead guitar and sings with Hoosier Hills Bluegrass Band. We have been playing as a group about 5 years now with the present members. I am neighbors with Von McGuire, I can walk to his house in about two minutes.

I think Olivia is doing shows with Larry Sparks this year and She has a really good group, Olivia Smiley and Main Street!

Check out our myspace page with a few old standards we do:
http://www.myspace.com/hossierhillsbluegrassband

DannyB
Jul-09-2009, 6:20am
Kyle walked up and picked with us at a few jams at either spgbma or Ibma. I rarely seen him, if ever without his mandolin. Just a joy to watch!

Jim, Olivia use to sit or play in with my cousins band also Rural Route 2. I've only met her once which was in Louisville at the Galt House. I love the sound of her band myself. I think she's just scratched the surface and has much bigger things in store for her music wise.

dustyfiddle
Oct-24-2009, 10:59pm
I have never met Kyle, but I was surprised to find that Leland's grandson was such a fine player. Many years ago Leland and his brother, Bill Ramey had a radio broadcast on a local station in North Vernon. As a boy, I used to tag along with Bill to a music store in town to listen to the band record the show. I was in Queensville last weekend and preached for Bro. Bill at the church he has pastored since 1963. It was Bill and his brother Leland who introduced me to Bluegrass. Small world!

Pat Healey
Oct-25-2009, 7:11am
Kyle and his dad (Scott) are friends of mine. Scott doesn't push Kyle to play, I don't think he could stop Kyle if he tried.

Kyle also plays fiddle, banjo, guitar and dobro. He not only plays them, but in a recent contest he placed first in all but the banjo,which he placed second. The banjo competition was supposed to be two songs for each contestant and Kyle didn't know so he only played one ( he was the first one on stage) so he "only" got second.

He is amazing to watch.

Kyle loves to play my blonde Healey mandolin whenever I see him, he says it's the only mandolin he's played that sounds better than his Fern.

Randy King
Oct-25-2009, 9:08am
Hey Danny, Olivia just finished doing a Grand Ole Opry gig with Pam Tillis! Yes she will be setting the fiddle world on fire a little more as time goes on! As for Kyle, I believe there are no boundries for him! He just keeps getting stronger and stronger. Here is a couple pics with Olivia doin her thing with Pam Tillis!

greg_tsam
Nov-25-2011, 12:59pm
AIN't THAT GREAT !!!!!!!! 44 years of picking I have, what's he have 2-3, it took me about 15 years to get to that level ! Wonder what he will sound like in 10 years ? Be looking forward to hearing it.

Thing is he didn't know it was supposed to take that long to get that good. He just did it. I wish I could get out of that mental trap of what I'm supposed to do and how long it's gonna take me. Not picking on you though just remarking on some self limiting comments that I can identify with. Still, this boy is just naturally gifted and obviously in the right situation for him to explore and progress on his remarkable talent. I think back to what I was doing at that age and am baffled even more at this kiddo. I was climbing trees, riding bikes, jumping off logs and riding horses. But I was damn good at it. :)