PDA

View Full Version : New to the mandolin world!

bignelly
Jul-03-2009, 3:20am
Hi every one, my name is neil 38 and i live in stoke,england and just discovered the fantastic world of the mandolin.
As the credit crunch bites, i can only afford a cheap mando which is a STAGG SEMI(please dont laugh):( but we have to start somewhere.
Bin playing for a couple of weeks, got a few chords and can do Cripple creek.
Love this web site,there seems to be alot of info.But was wondering if anyone can give advice and knows of any web sites to teach a begginer what to do, as i cant afford lessons.
Many thanks......Neil.:)

Soupy1957
Jul-03-2009, 3:54am
Here's a good starting point for a plethera of helps:

http://www.mandozine.com/home.php

I think very highly of the "TablEdit" software they make available on that site, and the large amount of .tef midi files that are available there, with Tabs and audible music to work from. It's a free software and files source.

There is also much in the way of info and helps there as well.

YouTube.com is a great resource as well as the Mandolin Cafe which you have already found.
Putting in search words like "Mandolin" alone, brings up not only folks playing them, but also a lot of instructional stuff. Through searches like that, you can find a number of folks who offer materials for continued learning that you must pay for, but there is enough "free" stuff out there to get you going fairly well.

I highly recommend the folks in here.........you've made a good start by coming here, but don't let being in here, or any other website, take the place of committed practice time.

"My" biggest mistake in 2006/2007, when "I" was a raw beginner, was to spend too much time talking about it, and not enough time actually DOING the practice time, which is essential.

Finally I ended up selling off my half-dozen mandos (for some reason, I guess I figured that I had to get "just the right mando" when all along it was simply that I wasn't "doing" the work of learning), and then about two months ago, bought only one "decent" mando, and have been practicing with regularity (30 minutes a day minimum), ever since. I've improved faster in two months than I had in 2 years. (hangs his head in shame).

Also, find others who play mandolins in your area, (playing the music you love is a big help), and make every effort to get together with them whenever possible. You'll find that you grow faster, with immediate feedback, and the challenge of learning what they know.

A word about Genre..........you'll find a ton of folks who play in here, but don't think for a moment that it's an entirely "Bluegrass" crowd (which is so often thought of in conjunction with the mandolin lately). There are Jazz, Blues, Folk, Italian Traditional, and even Classical players in here. Discover YOUR love on the instrument. You may surprise YOURSELF!!

Best of luck to you!
Soupy1957

bignelly
Jul-03-2009, 4:05am
Well many thanks for reply soupy, I will take your advice onboard.
I have listened to some of the mp3s on this site and is amazed by how much you can do with a mandolin.
MANY THANKS AGAIN... NEIL.

Tracy Ballinger
Jul-03-2009, 6:16am
Welcome to the addiction I hope you never break! :) If you go on YouTube and search 'mandolin lesson' you'll find various videos there; also do a search on 'Music Moose' and there are videos as well.

Soupy1957
Jul-03-2009, 6:54am
Tracy,
Musicmoose.org is no longer active. It underwent a "cease and desist" order for (I think) trademark infringement.
The NEW site, (started by Anthony H., and moderated by a couple of MusicMoose regulars) is:

http://www.freepickin.com

FYI

P.S. It's a smaller crowd than it once was, on the Moose, and less active.

JEStanek
Jul-03-2009, 8:00am
Welcome to the Café, Neil. We're glad you found us.

Jamie

bignelly
Jul-04-2009, 12:48am
Thanks for the welcome and advice from all...
neil..

JeffD
Aug-02-2009, 2:36pm
Tracy,
Musicmoose.org is no longer active. It underwent a "cease and desist" order for (I think) trademark infringement.
The NEW site, (started by Anthony H., and moderated by a couple of MusicMoose regulars) is:

http://www.freepickin.com

FYI

P.S. It's a smaller crowd than it once was, on the Moose, and less active.

Do you think there is room for video mandolin lessons here on the cafe?

Fliss
Aug-02-2009, 3:35pm
Welcome Neil! Sorry I don't know the answer to your question but just wanted to say welcome. You could try a tutor book such as Simon Mayor's book as a good way to help you get started. Enjoy!

Fliss

mandozilla
Aug-03-2009, 2:48am
Do you think there is room for video mandolin lessons here on the cafe?

Wow Jeff, how cool would that be? :grin:

~o):mandosmiley:

Shelagh Moore
Aug-03-2009, 6:37am
Hi Neil!

Welcome to the Cafe which is an altogether great site. As I'm up in Scotland I can't help you directly but there are also some additional resources, including some tabs if you can read them, on:

http://www.mandolin.org.uk/music/index.php

abuteague
Aug-03-2009, 7:38am
Some of my breakthrough learning events were...

1. When I took a few lessons. It wasn't for long, but I learned an amazing amount.
2. When I played with others for the first time. I was so slow, but they kept telling me to come by week after week. Eventually, I could play a tune up to speed.
3. When I started performing. There is nothing like a set list and a date to get you to focus. Playing contra dances was great because the audience is too busy dancing to look at you. Some of my first gigs were for the infants and toddlers at the child care center.
4. When I memorized my first few tunes. I played some tunes many times, but only with sheet music in front of me. When I started practicing the tunes without sheet music, I started learning new tunes much much faster. Also, I started to pick things up by ear better than ever.

Playing by myself at home from a book was useful, but didn't lead to much in the way of breakthroughs. I enjoyed it and learned a good bit, but sometimes took long breaks or lost motivation. I hit a 5 year plateau. I guess I'm not all that disciplined. The breakthrough events above worked for me because they mixed up my mandolin routine by including peer pressure, goals and deadlines/schedules, learning from others, alternative ways of learning, changing up practice routines, and consistent challenges.

Tell people you are learning to play and look for opportunities to introduce new challenges.

Best of luck to you.:mandosmiley:

sean808080
Oct-19-2009, 2:49pm
Hi every one, my name is neil 38 and i live in stoke,england and just discovered the fantastic world of the mandolin.
As the credit crunch bites, i can only afford a cheap mando which is a STAGG SEMI(please dont laugh):( but we have to start somewhere.
Bin playing for a couple of weeks, got a few chords and can do Cripple creek.
Love this web site,there seems to be alot of info.But was wondering if anyone can give advice and knows of any web sites to teach a begginer what to do, as i cant afford lessons.
Many thanks......Neil.:)

Welcome. You'll find some great advice and support here of course. My particular path has been slow but enjoyable. What works for me is the multi headed approach. Some solo practicing with DVDs, some lessons, some slow jam workshops, a mandolin camp. All of these things are helping me to understand a bit more about the mandolin.

Good luck on your journey! Just keep at it...