PDA

View Full Version : goldberg variations

jwalsh
Aug-17-2004, 10:36am
hey- #this question is actually two questions- 1. anyone know where i can find a transcription of the first variation, besides the icking archive? 2. has anyone noticed any errors in the icking transcriptions? #i found the goldberg variations at that site, but i think i might have found an error. #i know that in comparing it to the thile/marshall version, there'll be discrepencies (sp) cause the melody goes out of the mandolin range. but i think at least one section of the transcription might be off. anyone who knows more have any thoughts? #thanks, joe

Eugene
Aug-17-2004, 11:18am
1. Are you seeking mandolin-specific transcription? I have no idea. I'd probably justspring for a cheap printed score, maybe Schirmer's, and work from there.

2. I have seen plenty of errors or dubious notational decisions in the icking archive. Which direction out of range does the transcription in question go: below g or above e''''? Some mandolins can reach a''''.

Mandobar
Aug-17-2004, 8:07pm
i have a printed score, like the one that they use for studying scores (pocket addition). i got it for $3 at a used book store.

jwalsh
Aug-17-2004, 8:25pm
well, the transcription in question,i believe, is for the piano. so the right hand melody doesn't need to stay above G to be within range. (and it doesn't.) as you listen to the version mike marshall and chris thile play, if you compare it to the transcription you'll notice certain sections where some passages had to played an octave higher than written. however, there are at least two sections where chris, who's playing the right hand part, plays something a bit different than what is written on the icking transcription. maybe he changed it. or maybe the transcription is off?