PDA

View Full Version : Just Got My 1st Fretboard Journal

Alex Orr
Jul-02-2009, 10:10am
At first I had no idea what it was. The thing came in a special delivery envelope with a thick carboard backing to keep it from bending in the mail. I opened it up and found it was the Journal. I flipped through it and honestly, I can't believe I subscribed to this thing...

... so darn late!! :)) Seriously, how have I been missing this magazine for the last few years? I've looked for it at the Barnes and Nobles after hearing some folks on here say that they can find it on their news stands, but it's been to no avail. I just thought it would be some magazine, sort've like Acoustic Guitar. Oh no, not at all! This thing is gorgeous. Printed on thick, high-quality paper with gorgeous photography and excellent writing. I'm going to have to start setting aside a fund for buying back issues. Honestly, this is the kind of printed product that you save on a book shelf. As more and more people in publishing take bets on the day when all pubs will be digital and paper will be a thing of the past, it's downright thrilling to see some people printing a product at this level of quality. If anyone here hasn't subscribed yet, then let me tell you, you're missing out. I'm regretting all the past issues I haven't enjoyed, even as I read the current issue. Two thumbs way up for me guys, I'll be a subscriber for life. :)

fstylemb1
Jul-02-2009, 10:40am
great magazine since the 1st ish. always look forward to getting a new one. always great stories, always great photos!

Ted Eschliman
Jul-02-2009, 12:27pm
Stunningly good literature. Great writers, incredible pictures, and of course relevant (to me) topics. In an age where most publishing companies are cutting corners and scaling back, it's great to see someone take a chance (and putting up some big bucks) on this very niche market.

Kudos!

bflat
Jul-02-2009, 3:49pm
not usually as much mando content as current issue but is sure a step up from the usual guitar mag. has a nice balance of instrument vs player discussion, minimal ads.

Bob DeVellis
Jul-02-2009, 6:47pm
It's simply the best music magazine out there -- perhaps the best magazine of any kind. I think there's been at least some mando content in every issue. I have 'em all, have read all of 'em cover-to-cover (still working on the current issue), and like it more than ever.

For folks like us, having a magazine this good around is fantastic!

Carolie
Jul-02-2009, 9:24pm
Still waiting for my first subscription issue (summer) :crying: I did buy the back issues I could get my hands on from FJ.

Carolyn

Fretbear
Jul-03-2009, 3:28am
The issue with (my hero) Tony Rice and his holy grail Martin on the cover was like a dream come true.
There is nothing else that even comes close to it's quality.