PDA

View Full Version : New MF5VDeluxe?

pjlama
Jun-30-2009, 10:12pm
Hey folks,
I know I've been keeping a low profile, with trying to be responsible financially (you all are a bad influence) plus I somehow became addicted to mountain biking and starting playing more bass (my first love of 28 yrs) than mando. Anywho, I listed my Giacomel J5 in the classifieds the other day and worked a trade for this beauty, it'll be here tomorrow and I'm really excited. There was nothing wrong with the Giacomel but as some of you know much more than a few months with any mando is enough for me, I have severe ADD. So without further ado here's my next mando...

Chris Biorkman
Jun-30-2009, 10:16pm
I knew you'd be back. Looks really nice. It's not the same here without you. You make me feel not quite as bad about myself. ;)

pjlama
Jun-30-2009, 10:26pm
All it takes is a new mando and here I am. I just remembered that Collings necks don't generally agree with me. Oh well, somebody will just have to trade me for an MM or Ellis :))

pjlama
Jun-30-2009, 10:29pm
Chris you should feel a little dirty, you're a mando______. Fill in the blank but many references to the worlds oldest profession fit nicely in the space above, mind you I'm much worse than you so I can say it ;)

Ken Olmstead
Jun-30-2009, 10:34pm
Chris and PJ, you two seem to be back in scroll territory! :)

I am just leaving myself....:))

That looks like a sweety PJ! I got to play some Giacomels, cool but not my cup of tea. Thank goodness! Enjoy it for the next few months....

pjlama
Jun-30-2009, 11:27pm
The stealth is too sweet, I really wanted to order one but am far too impatient to wait for any custom build. I'm sure the scroll will beckon you again in the future. What color is it gonna be? I love the blackburst, ummmm stealth.

Chris Biorkman
Jun-30-2009, 11:31pm
Ken, you'll be back to the scroll one sweet day. One sweet day...

Ken Olmstead
Jun-30-2009, 11:36pm
PJ, here is the color:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showpost.php?p=677127&postcount=93

I loved the black burst but I didn't think I could live with it long term if that makes any sense.

Chris - Can you say PML! :)) I played one of Hans mandolins at Symposium. It was amazing!! The finest instrument there, (besides the Brentrup of course:) ) was a Kimble Mandola that Carmel music has. That thing is off the charts in sound and playability!!!

pjlama
Jul-01-2009, 12:02am
Wow, sweet color! You must be getting giddy with excitement. I'm looking forward to the sound clips/vid, it should be extra sweet. Who brought the PML? Those are very tempting. I need to try a newer Kimble, I just never run across them here.

Don Grieser
Jul-01-2009, 12:07am
Just not sure about the whole VD naming thing. :whistling:

Welcome back, PJ.

pjlama
Jul-01-2009, 12:10am
Yeah, it's more something you catch than buy. Sorry I missed you in T-ride. I had such a good time this year taking it mellow and all. What did you do in the woods all weekend? ;)

Don Grieser
Jul-01-2009, 12:19am
A walk in the mountains is good for what ails you. Everything's better at 10,000 feet. ;) Got back to NM Sat night in time to hear Sam on the KOTO stream.

pjlama
Jul-01-2009, 12:35am
Nice, we did a load of mountain biking, yes being in the woods up there is pretty special. TOB, The House Band and PB were the standouts for me and of course Elvis was pretty hot too. I'm not sure if we'll go back next year, our good friend up there got laid off and maybe finding work elsewhere. It's too bad we've been going every year but without a local that place is very spendy. Pagosa on Labor Day is unreal or maybe Rockygrass, we'll see...

GTG
Jul-01-2009, 12:40am
Just not sure about the whole VD naming thing. :whistling:

Welcome back, PJ.

I've usually heard them referred to as MF5DV, as in Deluxe Varnish

Well, you almost sound disappointed with what looks like a potentially fantastic instrument. Any review yet?

pjlama
Jul-01-2009, 1:04am
Not disappointed, very excited. I'll give a review once I have it in hand for a few days. I stand corrected you are right, DV not VD. My first really expensive mando was an MM but I was looking hard at the DV and played a couple, they were certainly fantastic. I'll have it tomorrow, can't wait :)

pjlama
Jul-01-2009, 1:23am
Here's The DV being put to good use by one of my favorite players.

i1xdE3dwkoI

Mandobar
Jul-01-2009, 7:25am
i went out to Pittsburgh to Acoustic Music Works to play mandos last fall. i ended up really liking a particular MF5 varnish, without the flourish. great mando. that and my Stealth and my new oval hole MF5........really mando nirvana.

all i need is now is one of Han's F5c's..........

JEStanek
Jul-01-2009, 8:26am
I changed PJs header to MF5DV from MF5VD for searches in the future.
Looks nice, PJ and welcome back.

Jamie

mandopete
Jul-01-2009, 9:09am
Yeah, the "VD" thing sure had some negative connotations, eh?

:)

Hey come on over to the Collings social group (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=6), we don't bite (too much).

pjlama
Jul-01-2009, 11:39am
Cool, you're Jamie on the spot as opposed to Johnny although I think little insight can be gleamed from this thread :))

pjlama
Jul-02-2009, 12:36am
Well, I got it earlier today. The label inside reads MF5VDeluxe, so VD it is. So far so good, the craftsmanship is typical Collings, near perfection. Nice rich tone as expected too, could use a little more playing in but I have a heavy right hand that tends to accelerate that process. The neck is comfortable so that concern is relieved. For picks I tried everything in the box, blue chip, red bear, real tort, wegen, dunlop, GG, vpick, you name it and irony of all ironies the Dawg is the one on this mandolin. I'm trying to do a quick video but I'm having technical difficulties, so stay tuned...

JEStanek
Jul-02-2009, 8:57am
OK, now the thread head reads New MF5VDeluxe. Glad you like it PJ.

Jamie

Lane Pryce
Jul-02-2009, 10:17am
I just can't imagine needing another mandolin ------ your MF5"VD" does it all, and quite nicely too. Lp

pjlama
Jul-02-2009, 2:35pm
Yeah, it's really sweet. I need to take some other pictures of it because the color you see in the photos above is not accurate. It's more yellow, it reminds me of a mandolin that Jonathan Peck had, I can't remember the builder. Hopefully I'll get a video done here in the next couple days.