PDA

View Full Version : Electric Mando...suggestions?

googies
Jun-29-2009, 9:24pm
Hey everybody. I just saw Sam Bush down at Merlefest this year and was blown away by his performance with his emando. I didn't even know such a thing existed, although I've only been playing a few years. Anyway, I see that Epiphone has the "Mandobird" which looks really cool. I see that it's relatively cheap, so that makes me question the quality. I really want to buy one though.

Does anyone have a Mandobird? And how does it sound with distortion? I'm wondering if it would be a wise purchase, or should I go in a different direction as far as makes/models.

Any help is appreciated!

Oops, I think I put this in the wrong place. How do I delete it?

mrmando
Jun-29-2009, 9:53pm
Visit emando.com.

Greg H.
Jun-29-2009, 10:20pm
A mandobird is Ok so far as it goes. You'll really want to remove the bit of feces called a pickup and replace that (so you can actually hear the e string), but that said it's a fun little instrument.

MnRoss
Jun-29-2009, 10:33pm
Sam used to and maybe still does play a vintage Fender 4 string. I think he has a few of them. They were made from 1956 to 1965 I believe. I have a 1956 Fender 4 string serial No.271 and it's a treat to play. These don't go for all that much and you should be able to pick one up for $2500 +. The nice thing is the sound great, play great and don't loose their value. Sort of an investment thing plus fun to have and play.

mrmando
Jun-29-2009, 11:21pm
These don't go for all that much and you should be able to pick one up for $2500 +.
It's all relative, of course. Some mandolinists might disagree with the assertion that $2500+ is not "all that much," but to each his own. It's a fair price for a Mandocaster up until 1958 or so; the price drops off after that.

The Fender Mandocaster was made until 1971. I'm pretty confident that Sam still has at least one of them. Last time I saw him, though, he was playing one of the solidbody 4-strings that Washburn made for a couple of years around 1980. I'm sure he has other electrics as well.

Emando.com lists electric mandolins at every price point, from $200 for a MandoBird to $5K for a Michael Stevens. The MandoBird is an entry-level instrument; it has an extremely narrow nut/neck that I find difficult to play, and it will probably need $75-100 worth of setup work after you buy it. Some people buy MandoBirds and proceed to trick them out with better components; I prefer buying a higher-quality instrument to start with.

Dave Greenspoon
Jun-29-2009, 11:24pm
Take a look at Andrew Jerman's e-mandos. IMO, they're the most undervalued electric mandolins on the market today.

mrmando
Jun-29-2009, 11:45pm
Take a look at Andrew Jerman's e-mandos. IMO, they're the most undervalued electric mandolins on the market today.
Can I fix that by selling them for $2500?

journeybear
Jun-30-2009, 2:33am
There are a ton or two of emandos out there, and emando.com lists a lot of makers. I've got two MandoBirds (one to modify for mandola setup) which I enjoy tremendously. Regardless of what Greg says, you can tweak it easily enough, either through your amp's settings or with an EQ pedal, to sound pretty rocking. There are two examples of this over at the Whiskey Before Breakfast Challenge thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50417), or at my myspace page. (http://www.myspace.com/mandolinsteve9) And these are just through my little Peavey practice amp; put it through a stack of Marshalls and see what happens! :mandosmiley:

At any rate, this is a vast improvement over my Gibson EM-150. Plays like a real electric instrument, capable of bending strings three frets. It's a good place to start, especially since you can get one for $150 at some online stores, maybe less on ebay. I also have a 5-string Fender Mandocaster, which I haven't gotten comfortable with, and chalk up to a bout of MAS. :whistling:

billkilpatrick
Jun-30-2009, 5:16am
steer clear of a crafter electro/acoustic - i've got one and i think it's a dud.

check out mike's electrics at "big muddy" - if they're anywhere near as good as his acoustic mandolins, you'll do alright:

http://www.bigmuddymandolin.com/products_electrics.php

TigerMal
Jun-30-2009, 6:35am
You should check out Jonathan Mann's instruments at manndolins.com. High quality, beautiful, and reasonably priced.

Jim DeSalvio
Jun-30-2009, 7:48am
Another vote for Jonathan Mann. This guy does electric mandolin right.

I have one of his octave's on order.

Here is a link to his website: http://www.manndolins.com/index.htm