PDA

View Full Version : what's the biggest mandolin ensemble in the world

billkilpatrick
Jun-29-2009, 2:51am
i made a rough count of 188 here but presumably, there's just no limit to the amount of players you can have in any orchestra:

hMPZ9fZsM4Q

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-29-2009, 3:26am
"today's guest avatar: miraculous vision of charles darwin in a severed tree limb - ooga-booga! " Get it on eBay Bill !!!.
At the risk of incuring the wrath of folk on here re.'Orchestras' of the same instrument.Many years ago i used to attend the BFFI ( British Federation of Fretted Instrumenatlists) rallies in the UK.There were competitions of all sorts,best solo Banjo/Mandolin/Guitar etc. & competitions for Banjo,Mandolin & Guitar orchestras together or seperately. In spite of being a dyed-in-the-wool Banjo player,i was aghast at the dreadful sound of 20 to 30 Banjos all playing at the same time.Let me say that the Mandolin orchestras fared no better in 'my opinion'. Purely as a personal opinion,i think that a Banjo or Mandolin 'quartet' playing suitable music,could sound very nice - but no more than a quartet please !,
Ivan:mandosmiley:

billkilpatrick
Jun-29-2009, 5:30am
first time i saw the "mummers" from philadelphia was in one of the macy's thanksgiving day parades in nyc. the ratio of string to brass instruments in these "string" bands shouldn't be looked at too closely but ... here you go - america has its share of eccentrics as well:

M43VehqpJU8