PDA

View Full Version : Lucky #24

Greg Wilson
Jun-27-2009, 5:45pm
A few days ago I received my new Gibson Jam Master from the Mandolin Store. I have been playing stringed instruments for around 20 years. This is the nicest instrument I have ever held. It resonates (holds a note) longer than any mandolin I have played. It also projects sound extremely well--and what a sound! It is really woody and crisp--perfect for bluegrass.

I have simple taste and this toned-down model suits me fine. I find its appearance to be elegantly understated. Most importantly it plays like a much more expensive instrument.

This mando is #24 signed by David Harvey. Thank you Gibson for making such a nice instrument affordable to a guy with twins on the way. Also much thanks to the folks at the Mandolin Store. They are super friendly and accommodating people.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=428&pictureid=3164

gibson mandoman
Jun-27-2009, 8:51pm
Greg, great decision going with the Gibson. Looks nice!

KyleBerry
Jun-27-2009, 9:29pm
Very nice Mando Greg. Now go and pick the strings off it!

300win
Jun-27-2009, 10:15pm
A few days ago I received my new Gibson Jam Master from the Mandolin Store. I have been playing stringed instruments for around 20 years. This is the nicest instrument I have ever held. It resonates (holds a note) longer than any mandolin I have played. It also projects sound extremely well--and what a sound! It is really woody and crisp--perfect for bluegrass.

I have simple taste and this toned-down model suits me fine. I find its appearance to be elegantly understated. Most importantly it plays like a much more expensive instrument.

This mando is #24 signed by David Harvey. Thank you Gibson for making such a nice instrument affordable to a guy with twins on the way. Also much thanks to the folks at the Mandolin Store. They are super friendly and accommodating people.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=428&pictureid=3164

Greg, ain't they awesome? !!!!!. I have # 50 JM F-5. It is among the top 3 mandolins I've ever had in my hands in 44 years including two Gibson F-5's circa late "20's early '30's. I've had mine a couple of weeks now and have played it twice in large jam situations, and once on a live recording of 4 hours at my home with friends, It will "peel" the hide off a banjer, no problem, and like yours mine also has that "old" 50+ years woody sound to it, and the crispest trebles I've ever had the pleasure to play, no matter where on the fingerboard. Yes we are very lucky dudes ! Maybe we should start a Gibson F-5 Jam-Master social group, as I think that if the rest of them are anywhere close to what we have, more people are going to be getting them. At the time I got mine I played a Gibson MM at the store and the salesman was floored that it sounded way better than the MM. It ain't always about the $.

Greg Wilson
Jun-27-2009, 11:20pm
300win seeing your earlier post pushed me over the edge towards purchasing a jam master. Sure glad I did and congrats again on #50.

Fretbear
Jun-27-2009, 11:37pm
Looking good Greg, congratulations.

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-28-2009, 1:10am
Nice looking & obviously 'sounding' Mandolin Greg - isn't it so great when you have an instrument that you just don't want to put down,one which gives you a buzz everytime !.Nice to see some Californian sunshine as well,
Stay cool - Ivan;)

300win
Jun-28-2009, 7:01am
300win seeing your earlier post pushed me over the edge towards purchasing a jam master. Sure glad I did and congrats again on #50.

Great ! Glad I had the influence that pushed you ! Check out the Jm social club I begin.

hank
Jun-28-2009, 8:29am
Congratulations again. I'd say Lucky Greg as well. ;)

Bluegrassrules
Jun-28-2009, 8:18pm
Hello, I signed on for the Jam Master social group, expecting #23 on wed. I can not wait.
Have a good day, Brain

Greg Wilson
Jun-28-2009, 10:46pm
Waiting is hard. I nearly tackled the UPS guy as he walked up my sidewalk.

Bluegrassrules
Jun-29-2009, 7:45am
Monday morning and I have already checked the UPS tracking...twice…haha. I will post pic’s and review when I receive it. I am hopeful that getting the “correct tones” out of this new mando will push my playing to the next level. I love my Eastman 515 and it has served me very well but a Gibson…well you understand. From all I have read I do not believe I will be disappointed, I have a lot of faith in Gibson. A question: Does anyone know if David Harvey does any building on theses mandolins or only signs off on them and is the Jam Master part of the F5 or F9 series?
Have a good day, Brian.
:mandosmiley:

300win
Jun-29-2009, 12:36pm
Monday morning and I have already checked the UPS tracking...twice…haha. I will post pic’s and review when I receive it. I am hopeful that getting the “correct tones” out of this new mando will push my playing to the next level. I love my Eastman 515 and it has served me very well but a Gibson…well you understand. From all I have read I do not believe I will be disappointed, I have a lot of faith in Gibson. A question: Does anyone know if David Harvey does any building on theses mandolins or only signs off on them and is the Jam Master part of the F5 or F9 series?
Have a good day, Brian.
:mandosmiley:

Brian, if you go on our social group you'll see all the info I have. In answer to yoyr question, the Jm is a F-5 series.