PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a mando luthier/repair person

mandosteve
Aug-16-2004, 4:25pm
I'm looking for someone to do some upgrades on my mandolin. I live by Bloomington, Indiana and I don't know of anyone locally that I can entrust with my baby, if you know what I mean. I guess I could also ship it off somewhere, but I would prefer to keep from doing that. I want to replace the bridge and tailpiece. I might need some refretting and I'm considering having the end of the fretboard scooped out. I also would like a full setup, of course. Any referrals would be most welcome.

Scotti Adams
Aug-16-2004, 4:37pm
Bruce Taggert lives in Nashville Indiana...just up the road from you...he builds some fine mandos and he can probably be talked into working on yours as well...I dont have any contact info on him but Im sure the phone book could help you out.

JimRichter
Aug-16-2004, 5:57pm
I live in Bloomington and Taggert is probably who I would look at taking my mando to. He's over in Nashville--telephone number is in the Builders section of the Mandolin Cafe.

Another option is Frank's Violin Shop up in Broad Ripple/Indianapolis. The owner of that store actually posted here on the Cafe about a week ago recounting his experience at the Mandolin Symposium. I know of a couple of Indy mandolinists who use him. It's over near 65the St. and Allisonville.

Jim Richter

ira
Aug-23-2004, 1:31pm
doug dieter lives in indiana-info on his site www.kennaquhair.com

not familiar enough with geography to know what is close.

thistle3585
Aug-23-2004, 2:30pm
Jim Bennett in Columbus, IN is the man. I wouldn't go anywhere else. I think he does all of Roadworthys work in Btown, so you might be able to take it in there. He is good and quick. He realizes some people can't afford to wait weeks for their instrument to be repaired, so he'll knock it out. Here's his number (812 375-9383. Give him a call and chat with him.

Andrew

keymandoguy
Aug-23-2004, 2:54pm
Larry Hopkins Pekin Ind Builds Fine fiddles & Mandolins http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

magnumgray
Aug-24-2004, 7:14am
I've just a couple of friends take their mandolins to the guy in columbus, and what great work .... professional set-up .... they play great! I understand some of the biggies are his clients ... if they trust their instruments to him he must be good .... not cheap ... it costs about $300 for complete makeover and set-up ... that's not bad ... it cost a hundred to send your wife to the spa for morning, and a week later she looks the same ... this is a lifetime investment

If you get up around Terre Haute ... visit Union Christian Church's "wildwood Fellowship" a blue grass evening the 2nd Sunday night each month at 6:00 ..... don't miss seeing a great picker Labor Day in Bloomington .... Rhonda Vincent's in town

Mark Grayless Terre Haute