PDA

View Full Version : Mando Photo how to

64lusso
Aug-16-2004, 12:12pm
I posted some pictures last winter of a new mando along with a request for advice on how to take a better picture. Got lots of compliments on the mando but almost no photography advice. I have a feeling lighting and background have a lot to do with making a good picture and would appreciate it if some of you could point me in the right direction.
Thanks, Jay

Tom C
Aug-16-2004, 12:35pm
Use a neutral color background. Do not use white else the mando will look too dark. If anything use a darker color. Use natural light. Have the mando take up the whole frame or crop the image as we do not want to see all background and little mando.

Darryl Wolfe
Aug-16-2004, 12:35pm
I've been taking mando pics for almost 40 years. #It's actually quite difficult to capture them with a natural look. #There are tricks to make most any situation work, but good results/"special pics" usually happen on cloudy but bright days outside. #Using about a 100mm telephoto lens works great on 35mm. #"Zooming" in with a digital helps also.

Stillpicking
Aug-16-2004, 12:38pm
Jay,

There are a number of factors that impact on the quality of the photo. I will assume that you are using a digital still camera and not scanning a regular photograph on a desktop scanner Right?

So check the resolution setting on your camera even though you will be down sizing to around 72 dpi for posting on the cafe you just might want to do a paper print latter. If #you only have 72 dpi as an option on your camera (some of the cheaper early models had limited resolution) no problem but make sure you do not make your images larger than your default size ( size at 72dpi on most cameras or a setting that indicates web images).

Once your have you resolution set you need to have the camera on a tripod. If you don't have a tripod then rest the camera on a flat table but don' t hand hold it. If your lighting I most of the digital auto camers will read a low light situation and slow down the shutter speed which then results in a blurry image if the camera is not on a tripod or stable surface.

You can introduce lights but the problem with adding lights is all of the unwanted reflections that come off the finish on the mando.

You can shoot outdoors and avoid just about all of the above problems but there will be a little more work with hinding the background, bed sheets with no texture and a middle to dark tone color can help with this .

Another option is to shoot you photos indoors next to a large window around mid-day #with no added lights.

I would say that holding that camera steady is one of the most important steps.

Hope this helps!

64lusso
Aug-16-2004, 12:54pm
Thanks guys thats a good start that already highlighted three poor assumptions I made. I used a white bedspread on a chair, inside with just the flash on the digital camera and I hand held it.
Jay

FrankenMouse
Aug-18-2004, 9:59am
Another trick: take lots and lots of pictures! Experiment with different angles, aperatures, exposures and lighting conditions. The more photos you take, the greater the odds are that you'll end up with one or two GREAT ones.

In "the old days", this was an expensive strategy. But with digital photography, who cares if you throw away 95% of your photos?