PDA

View Full Version : Blond Healy Mandolin at Bean Blossom 2009

Pat Healey
Jun-24-2009, 11:46am
Did anyone on the board play the blond Healey Mandolin at Bean Blossom 2009?

evanreilly
Jun-24-2009, 9:38pm
Din't play it, but do believe I saw the builder carrying it around.

Pat Healey
Jun-25-2009, 9:15pm
I'm the builder who was carrying it around and I'm sort of fishing for some feedback from those who know what they're talking about.

I don't play all that well so I tried to put it in the hands of some real musicians to hear it's full potential.

evanreilly
Jun-25-2009, 9:30pm
You should have asked F5Loar (or myownself) to kick tires on it.

Pat Healey
Jun-25-2009, 9:39pm
I think f5Loar may have played it.

Was he wearing the mandolin cafe hat and the Loar enforcement shirt?

evanreilly
Jun-26-2009, 2:29pm
Yep; Tom was sartorially correct, with the 'cafe hat, for bluegrass mandolin playing.
Here he is with another mandolin player.

Pat Healey
Jun-26-2009, 4:56pm
Great picture! Thanks.

F5Loar and Jessie both played the Healey at Bean Blossom and seemed impressed with the sound. Both of them found the neck a little thick for their liking but said it is simply a matter of preference.

Quite a few people played it there ( some I did not see because my buddy was carrying it around a while) so I was wondering if anyone else on the message board had played it.

Thanks for the response.

oldtimestrings
Jun-26-2009, 10:30pm
Hey Pat,

Good to meet up with you again, this time on the Cafe. Thanks for letting me play your blond F-5 at Bean Blossom; it really has begun to open up nicely since the Naperville festival (it wasn't too shabby then, either!).

The day after I saw you, I went into that shop called Weed Patch Music in Nashville (that's Indiana, folks, just so no one gets confused). They had a really nice Taggart F-5 in there that sounded great and looked gorgeous (Bruce Taggart, the builder who lives somewhere near Bean Blossom). Anyway, you should get in touch with that shop about carrying your mandolins.

I'm headed to Battle Ground tomorrow for the Fiddlers Gathering, but just for the day. Maybe I'll see you again.

Best,
Greg