PDA

View Full Version : Eastman 505 or Kentucky 505

mr meow
Jun-23-2009, 9:09pm
Hi. This is my first post here, though I've been reading this forum for some time now.

I am getting ready to buy my first mandolin, and have narrowed my selection down to 2 models. My budget is between $450-500, and I am looking at the Kentucky 505 and the Eastman 505. Although the Eastman sells for more than $500, I am wondering whether it is a worthwhile jump in budget?

Also, the best street price I have seen for the Eastman is $599, does anyone know of anything lower?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

man dough nollij
Jun-23-2009, 9:20pm
Welcome mr meow!

I got my Eastman 505 from The Mandolin Store (Cafe sponsor) a couple of months ago for $499. I see they're up to $599 at the moment, but they periodically go on sale. Also Janet Davis Music (another Cafe sponsor) is having a sale right now. Their site doesn't show any 505s at the moment, but you might give them a call to see if they expect some in soon.

I've never played the Kentucky, but I'm very happy with my Eastman 505.

Happy Pickin',

Lee

instrumentality
Jun-24-2009, 1:08am
Hi. This is my first post here, though I've been reading this forum for some time now.

I am getting ready to buy my first mandolin, and have narrowed my selection down to 2 models. My budget is between $450-500, and I am looking at the Kentucky 505 and the Eastman 505. Although the Eastman sells for more than $500, I am wondering whether it is a worthwhile jump in budget?

Also, the best street price I have seen for the Eastman is $599, does anyone know of anything lower?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Give The Mandolin Store a call, rather than just looking on their website; sometimes they have slightly better prices if you call them and ask. I like the Eastmans a lot; i decided to go with a flat top model to start with, but I plan to look hard at Eastman when I'm ready to get another mando.

Rick Cadger
Jun-24-2009, 5:50am
I have owned* three Eastman mandos (including a 505) and I am quite a fan.

I now own a Kentucky KM-505, and I am already quite a fan! I've also played a Kentucky KM-1000 which I tried for a couple of days.

IMHO, you can't go wrong with either of the 505s.

From my limited experience (one of each) you might like to weigh up the following:

Eastman 505:

* comes with a good case
* very attractive wood
* cast tailpiece (good if you like them)
* nice tone and respectable volume
* good finish
* good action
* bone nut

Kentucky KM-505:

* slightly more classic bluegrass sound
* better chop (subjective, but IMO)
* a little louder
* no case included (in UK at any rate)
* nice wood
* bone nut
* very good fit and finish
* great action achievable
* a hint of plate recurve

I'd be happy with either, although for my own preference the Kentucky probably fits a little better.

Both are proper, decent quality instruments - easily up to gigging quality. Good entry-intermediate level mandos.

They won't cure the lust for a DMM or a Dude, but they get the job done in respectable style.

That said, and at the risk of introducing an irrelevant sandwich, If I were shopping in the USA I'd be looking closely at the The Loar mandolins as well. The opinions of some respected mando people have me very curious about those.

Anyway, Eastman 505 or Kentucky 505... play 'em for yourself. Both have plenty to offer.

*Actually "owned" 2 but also had one on long term loan...

Payit Forward
Jun-24-2009, 7:05am
I have owned an Eastman 605, a 515, and a Kentucky 505.

In this price range you can't beat the Kentucky. It is often compared to the Eastman 505 because it is close in price (and because they are both 505s?), but it is actually trimmed more like the 605 with back binding, nice flame on the back, and a bound peghead with inlay. The finish is a little heavier on the Kentucky. I think they are all terrific mandolins when set up properly.

The Kentucky costs $150 less than the Eastman 505 and $310 less than the 605.

Caleb
Jun-26-2009, 9:43am
I own an Eastman 505 that I bought (used) here on the Cafe for $400. It came to my door in very good (set-up) condition, but after a bit of work, and after setting it up to my preferences, I like it much better. It seemed a bit quiet, so I stripped off most of the finish and "antiqued" it a bit, which greatly helped the volume issue.

I've never owned a Kentucky 505, but I did own a Kentucky 380, which is (or was, I think this one is discontinued now) another all-solid wood A-style mandolin. It had been destroyed and rebuilt; I could never get it set up just right so I sold it to a guy on here to use as a travel beater. But it was much louder than my Eastman, and it did have more of the "Bluegrass" sound that some here are looking for.

I'd say the Eastman has a more rounded and overall smoother sound than the Kentucky that I owned. I'm not sure which one I like better though; the Kentucky responded better to subtle touches and the volume was amazing (but the action was terrible). The Eastman seems to sound good in most situations, but it doesn't "sing out" quite like the Kentucky.

I've only played one other Kentucky besides the one I owned, and I've only played one other Eastman besides the one I own, so my experience may or may not reflect most other people's experience with these two models. I'd say play both if you can, side by side if you can; that would be the real selling point. But bottom line: I think it'd be hard to go wrong with either one.

Capt. E
Jun-26-2009, 3:39pm
I just spent lunch hour playing both of these side by side. I liked the Eastman best, but that may have something to do with set-up etc. Both are good lower priced instruments, but the mando that I REALLY liked was a 1992 Flatiron 1CH they had on consignment. The Flatiron sounded better than any of the Kentucky or Eastman mandos and was priced a lot lower.