PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favorite Grisman?

gregjones
Jun-23-2009, 12:49pm
1. David--the bluegrass hot rod picker with Old and In The Way.

2. David--the jazz mando player in DGQ.

3. David--the old timey/folk mando master of Garcia/Grisman.

Rick Schmidlin
Jun-23-2009, 12:52pm
All,why not?

chasray
Jun-23-2009, 12:53pm
4. All of the above

Perry
Jun-23-2009, 1:02pm
I think he really excels at #3 but I like all his personalities.

bobby bill
Jun-23-2009, 1:03pm
As great as Grisman the mandolinist is (that would be No. 4), I think the Grisman that has had the broadest and most profound effect on my musical life would be Grisman the record producer who introduced me to Jacob, Dave Apollon, and reintroduced me to Jethro and Tiny . . . .

JEStanek
Jun-23-2009, 1:14pm
I'm rather fond of all of them. You forgot Doc and Dawg! ...and Dawg and Staman... and....

Jamie

Rick Schmidlin
Jun-23-2009, 1:15pm
I'm rather fond of all of them. You forgot Doc and Dawg! ...and Dawg and Staman... and....

Jamie

I love the DVD and CD like ol friends

Mike Bunting
Jun-23-2009, 1:32pm
Sam.

Patrick Gunning
Jun-23-2009, 1:34pm
I still maintain that he was at his best on the self-titled Garcia/Grisman record (though I don't think "old timey/folk" is a very good characterization of that recording, it somewhat applies to Shady Grove). I like the quintet and all, and he was cool in Old and in the Way, but his playing on Garcia/Grisman and Shady Grove are two of the finest examples of recorded mandolin (and this coming from a rabid Thile fan).

Jim MacDaniel
Jun-23-2009, 1:38pm
I like the cantankerous one who put a piece of tape over the word "Gibson" on his peghead. I have nothing against Gibson (in fact I wouldn't mind getting one of the new A-style Jam Masters), but I got a kick of his taking his beef with Gibson public -- yet in a very subtle manner.

Elliot Luber
Jun-23-2009, 1:52pm
I think 14 Strings said it best, #3.

Rick Parrish
Jun-23-2009, 2:23pm
If I HAD to pick a favorite, it would be No. 2 with DGQ. They are all such good musicians and that Grisman-flavored jazz puts me on Cloud 9.

Ted Eschliman
Jun-23-2009, 2:49pm
My favorite would be in #2, but in a different incarnation. His "I'm beginning to See the Light (http://www.davidgrisman.com/acd_html/acd36.html)," where he partnered with Martin Taylor, was a real turning point for me. It might not speak to you if you're not into jazz, but I feel the collaboration injected a whole new jazz vocabulary into the Dawg's language. It took him off the crutch of Pentatonic and broadened the harmonic content of his improvisation.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during the rehearsal sessions prior to that recording. I still go back to that CD and learn new things from it.

Tom C
Jun-23-2009, 3:12pm
Quote: It took him off the crutch of Pentatonic and broadened the harmonic content of his improvisation.

I fully agree. Though his use of pentatonics is amazing. When I break down his "breaks", it all falls into place and makes so much sense. I wish I had the creativity to do some of those things before I have to discover them from sombody else.

sgarrity
Jun-23-2009, 3:17pm
I like pretty much everything Grisman has ever done. From the old-timey Shady Grove to his jazz recordings with Martin Taylor and Stephane Wremble. He's a true master of the mandolin!

JeffW
Jun-23-2009, 3:18pm
My favorite would be in #2, but in a different incarnation. His "I'm beginning to See the Light (http://www.davidgrisman.com/acd_html/acd36.html)," where he partnered with Martin Taylor, was a real turning point for me. It might not speak to you if you're not into jazz, but I feel the collaboration injected a whole new jazz vocabulary into the Dawg's language. It took him off the crutch of Pentatonic and broadened the harmonic content of his improvisation.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during the rehearsal sessions prior to that recording. I still go back to that CD and learn new things from it.

I love this CD. I bought it many years ago to familiarize myself with Grisman, and in the process, I discovered how great Taylor is.

Tripp Johnson
Jun-23-2009, 3:29pm
I like them all...

Gail Hester
Jun-23-2009, 3:31pm
I like the David Grisman that will sit and warmly talk about mandolins or whatever after the show given his mastery of elements 1, 2 & 3.

lenf12
Jun-23-2009, 3:46pm
I'm with you folks who say "all things Grisman", from his adroit creativity with pentatonic scales on OAITW recordings to his advanced use of harmonic content on his jazz recordings. My current new favorite (once again) is Tone Poems with Tony Rice. David's greatest genius (in addition to being a great producer of other folks recordings) is his ability to surround himself with stellar musicians who draw the highest caliber performances from each other, whether on stage or in the studio.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Bill Foss
Jun-23-2009, 4:26pm
The Grisman not mentioned, and one of my favorites, is the young Turk on his Early Dawg CD. That is some of the hardest driving, inventive, yet steeped in tradition bluegrass playing ever recorded. Listn to his Rawhide on that recording, it's breathtaking.

http://www.myspace.com/billfossmusic

mandopete
Jun-23-2009, 4:31pm
All four.

Dan Hoover
Jun-23-2009, 8:31pm
tuff question...first impression i would have to say #2..that's what drew me into the mandolin...Mondo Mando i dig best..but i heard a song today,Tony Bennett ..."The Best is Yet to Come"...i'll go with that...

AlanN
Jun-24-2009, 6:31am
He has had such a major mandolin impact, it's hard to even gage it.

Early on, he was the Monroe heir apparent. Realizing the genius of guys like Bob Osborne, Jesse McReynolds, Red Allen, Frank Wakefield and, of course, Bill, he documented tunes and styles. Thanks to him, we have The Kitchen Tapes and 'lost' Monroe performances. There's a tape floating around of a young David in the WKCR studio, playing with Red Allen.

He was a vital part of the 70's scene, playing on records by Don Stover and Tony Trischka. Not sure which record, but there's a live Earl's Breakdown with Tony T. and Buck White. David takes a very modern and hip solo. The Muleskinner record (and video TV show) showcased him in a stellar line-up. OAITW made tons of folks aware for the first time of his talents.

His 1976 Rounder Record literally introduced legions to Ricky Skaggs and Tony Rice. That record was a watershed event, and it was under his name as band leader.

His Mandolin World News was an underground publication that helped thousands of musicians. Look at the first issue, practically written at the kitchen table.

The David Grisman Quintet record of 1977 was totally new and unheard of and spawned a movement. And at the time, it was near the best-selling independently-produced record ever.

His breathed new life into Jethro Burns and Tiny Moore, and introduced the world to Dave Apollon and Jacob Bandolim. He brought Stephane Grappelli and Svend Asmussen into a whole new fan base.

His Acoustic Disc continues as a vital force in the record world. The Mandolin Symposium couldn't be without his up-front presence. He has endorsed and jump-started instrument manufacturers like John Monteleone, Steve Gilchrist and Giacomel.

The list goes on and on.

He is the man.

Tom Morse
Jun-24-2009, 7:03am
I bought my first mandolin and put away the guitar within days of hearing "The David Grisman Quintet." And then the Moore/Burns "Back-To-Back" album! Whoah! And then the "Grisman & Garcia" (The Thrill Is Gone) sessions! And then the Grisman/Garcia "So What" CD. I lean decidedly toward the jazzier Dawg, but then...there is "Old And In The Way." When it comes to David, there' a lot to be grateful for.

Michael Eck
Jun-24-2009, 7:18am

Especially on The Even Dozen Jug Band album and on the recent John Sebastian collaboration.

John McGann
Jun-24-2009, 7:22am
All.

mandopete
Jun-24-2009, 8:50am
Come on over and visit the Mando Dawgs (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=74) social group, woof!

fishdawg40
Jun-24-2009, 10:46am
His Acoustic Disc continues as a vital force in the record world.

The list goes on and on.

He is the man.

...And he had Jerry Garcia to help him get Acoustic Disc rolling. My banjo playing, Jerry loving friend always gives me a hard time about how Garcia brought legions of fans to Grisman, whether through Old and in the Way or the Garcia/Grisman stuff. I agree but if my aunt had an Adam's apple she would be my uncle. He jokes that in Grateful Dawg, Grisman would tape Jerry in order just to closer associate himself with him and with the hopes one day selling it. It's the scene where Garcia is alone in the living room. I just tell him, and I love Jerry too, Grisman lived a life of moderation and is still truckin', making tunes. Oh, it's fun being the lone Grisman freak in a band.

I love all the incarnations of Grisman's style but I guess I'll pick the Garcia/Grisman Shady Grove because that's what grabbed me first.

JeffD
Jun-24-2009, 11:02am
Dave's playing is 100% awesome, and his efforts on the behalf of the mandolin and other great mandolinists is fantastic, but I have to admit :disbelief: I have not been able to sit through one of his own albums.

I love him with others, and have very often heard some group or album and asked who the amazing mandolinist was and it turned out to be Dave, but when its just him I get bored.

I'm just answering the question.

Thing is, I was playing the mandolin for several years before I heard a recorded mandolin, and a few more years before I heard of Dave Grisman. My original inspiration was the instrument itself.

Perry Babasin
Jun-24-2009, 11:49am
David is my favorite Grisman... It's all him.

Perry

es335td
Jun-24-2009, 1:27pm
I love the "jazz" Grisman best. But there is a fourth Grisman - the historian who documented the sounds of great mandolins, guitars and resonator instruments, playing "period" pieces in the "Tone Poems" series.

The mandolin has benefited greatly from his passion.

mandroid
Jun-24-2009, 1:36pm
The Acoustic disc free mp3 download one .

Philippe Bony
Jun-24-2009, 1:37pm
1) David
2) David
3) David
4) David
5) Sam
:cool:

Ken_P
Jun-24-2009, 2:23pm
My favorite is the one who has relentlessly sought out new kinds of mandolins and mandolin players. The one who has gone to great lengths to bring to light under appreciated masters of the past. The one who helped introduce Tony Rice, Mike Marshall, Darol Anger, Mark O'Connor and many others to acoustic music fans.

I've never been a fan of his playing, but even without that, he's a giant in acoustic music.

JeffD
Jun-24-2009, 2:59pm
I've never been a fan of his playing, but even without that, he's a giant in acoustic music.

Absolutely.

Bill Foss
Jun-24-2009, 3:29pm
Are you gettin' all this Dawg? (Rumor has it that he sometimes lurks on the Cafe). I think this thread has been a great tribute!