PDA

View Full Version : turn down your speakers

billkilpatrick
Jun-22-2009, 2:03pm
not really sure where to post this but for someone just hacking around with a mandolin, this girl is great - ted nugent ... step aside:

journeybear
Jun-22-2009, 3:14pm
Thanks for the advisory! That's more distortion than I get with my electric and all the gizmos! Yikes!!! :))

Lee Callicutt
Jun-22-2009, 3:38pm
The last time I heard that kind of distortion was right before the headphones made a crackling sound and went silent! :mandosmiley:

Charles E.
Jun-22-2009, 5:47pm
I'd say she is furthering her consciousness with more then her mandolin ;). Reminds me my school days.

billkilpatrick
Jun-22-2009, 6:05pm
Reminds me my school days.

yeah! - me too ... reminds me of the first time i picked up a mandolin without the slightest idea of how to play it in a way that someone who sets themselves as knowing how to play it, plays it. free-form mandolin-in' ... howl! ... let 'er rip! ...

words
Jun-22-2009, 6:17pm
She does a hell of a lot better than I did when I began. Wowzers. That of course is hard clipping, not distortion. Cool stuff. Maybe she'll get some chops.

Charles E.
Jun-22-2009, 6:29pm
Oh, she can play. You dont get a right hand like that as a beginner. I think she is just getting a groove and having fun.

Lee Callicutt
Jun-23-2009, 7:30am
She does a hell of a lot better than I did when I began. Wowzers. That of course is hard clipping, not distortion.

Effectively the same thing, aren't they?

Bernie Daniel
Jun-23-2009, 7:34am
Almost makes me want to elect-tro-FIE.

journeybear
Jun-23-2009, 8:09am

Well, yes and no. What he meant by clipping is overloading the input, ie, the microphone; distortion (in this context) is overloading the output, producing a distorted signal - which is impossible with an acoustic instrument. In other words, she had her microphone level set too high, thus producng distortion. Controlled output distortion can be warm and fuzzy. What we have here, however, is a bit painful. :disbelief:

Tim2723
Jun-23-2009, 8:25am
JB is right. If you were standing next to her the sound would be normal. The effect happens because she's overwhelming the mic, and the 'distortion' is only in the recording.

Charles E.
Jun-23-2009, 5:36pm
oops,next one

Charles E.
Jun-23-2009, 5:39pm
Here is another from her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpMPMXY-O9c&feature=channel

I guess she can play:whistling: she also playes piano in another, quite well, I might add but still has distortion issues.

neal
Jun-23-2009, 6:25pm
Oh c'mon... she is having fun though.

mandopete
Jun-23-2009, 8:19pm
Fun? Perhaps, but is it really bluegrass?

foldedpath
Jun-23-2009, 9:09pm

Yes and no. She's clipping a cheap (by the sound of it) solid state input to an audio/digital converter, probably on a laptop computer. Distortion like that makes square waves, which generate odd-ordered harmonics. Very nasty.

Musicians traditionally (since the 60's anyway) use tube amps for the "good" type of distortion. because tubes generate even-ordered harmonics that "please the ear" (at least by pop culture consensus). If that's the sound she's going for, a decent tube amp would help, although she'll need a solid body mandolin to do that in performance without feedback.

If that sound is NOT what she's going for (and it may not be), then she needs a cleaner recording chain that doesn't clip.

DryBones
Jun-23-2009, 9:23pm

why does it need to be bluegrass as long as it's mando it's all good! :mandosmiley:

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-24-2009, 12:26am
More than a BIT painful JB !.Distortion is fine when it's controlled,other than that it's like ANYTHING un-controlled,usually bad. She's enjoying herself,but for others ???.She should fit a pick up to her instrument,get a decent sound effects unit & use it through a small amp.,she could REALLY have fun then,& in a much more controlled & effective way,
Ivan;)

journeybear
Jun-24-2009, 1:07am
I'm stumped as to why she uploaded this. One would like to think she would have listened to it, realized something was wrong, and tried another pass. Sometimes it seems people will put anything up on youtube; but a little discretion wouldn't hurt.

My 2 ... :whistling:

billkilpatrick
Jun-24-2009, 2:28am
you'awls acting like adults ...

weee! ...

Dan Hoover
Jun-24-2009, 6:33am
punkgrass...a'la..sonic youth...lou reed would love this...

Hillsdale Leroy
Jun-24-2009, 7:49am
Still, all things aside, you gotta give her credit for having the cajones to put it out there.

onassis
Jun-24-2009, 7:57am
you'awls acting like adults ...

weee! ...

My sentiments exactly!:grin::mandosmiley:

journeybear
Jun-24-2009, 9:17am
Still, all things aside, you gotta give her credit for having the cajones to put it out there.

No, no I don't. That assumes she has some notion that it was bad, but she didn't care, she was gonna do it anyway. I don't think she put a bit of thought into her decision. :disbelief: And I don't think she has given it much further thought, or else she might have taken it down, re-recorded it, and put up a better recorded version..

Well, she's young, she's new at it, she'll figure it out. I just think she could have waited until she figured a bit more out before rushing this up to youtube.

why does it need to be bluegrass as long as it's mando it's all good!

I think mandopete's point concerned this being a traditional bluegrass tune. With a smidge of humor ... ;)

JEStanek
Jun-24-2009, 9:31am
Why people question what goes up on You tube is amazing to me. It's a blank wall begging for people ot make their mark. Her video is far from the worst I've heard, and far from the best. I'm quite sure her mind would be blown to know that her little video shred warranted 20 plus posts on the safe forum where we discuss theory, hand building instruments, and why we do/don't like player X!

Jamie

journeybear
Jun-24-2009, 9:53am
Not only that, but this video has been viewed more than 300 times since it was put up two days ago. That's more than some of mine have gotten in two months! :disbelief:

It seems to be human nature to poke fun at others and laugh at their foibles and misfortunes. How else to explain the persistent success of slapstick comedy? I just marvel at people's insistence on putting videos up that seem to beg for ridicule.

billkilpatrick
Jun-24-2009, 10:11am
I just marvel at people's insistence on putting videos up that seem to beg for ridicule.

steady on ... i meant no such thing - that wasn't my intention in posting it. i've invited her to follow this thread in an effort to bring her into the fold, so to speak, and become genuinely interested in the mandolin for what it is and ALL it can do - not just shredding.

i don't look for electric guitar videos on youtube but i'm sure there's heaps of them exhibiting the same sort of raw energy and excitement.

i was also hoping someone would be able to identify the mandolin she's using.

journeybear
Jun-24-2009, 10:25am
steady on ... i meant no such thing - that wasn't my intention in posting it.

Oh no sir, I know you didn't, nor meant to imply you did. In fact, I understand you enjoy this video.

My point - and as so often happens, this has arisen tangentially - is that so many people put up videos regardless of such concerns as discretion and potential ridicule. In this example, I don't have a concern with her enthusiasm - which is considerable - nor expertise - which I haven't addressed - but with the quality of the recording, and apparent lack of interest in re-recording a better quality version before posting this.

Looking at the minuscule information provided by her, I see this at the brutally painful piano video - "just imagine if the crunch were percussion..." - which makes me think this distortion is something she is going for. There are better ways to achieve this, ones which will be less harsh-sounding, and would enable people to giver her music a better listen and thus more consideraton.

neal
Jun-24-2009, 1:19pm
I'm quite sure her mind would be blown to know that her little video shred warranted 20 plus posts on the safe forum where we discuss theory, hand building instruments, and why we do/don't like player X!

Jamie

That would give a rush. Considering the gentleness of the comments, it would most certainly be a rush. Girl, if you be readin' this..... sound check please! Distortion caused by recording equipment is bad. Distortion caused by you shows a wee bit more artistry.

billkilpatrick
Jun-24-2009, 2:13pm
apparently, she's here ... watching us - (m-waaa-ha-ha ...)

GVD
Jun-24-2009, 3:08pm
...I guess she can play:whistling: she also playes piano in another, quite well, I might add but still has distortion issues.

You can say that again. Whew those are pretty painful to try to listen to. On the other hand I have to wonder what kind of youtube algorithm determined Jim Richters Cold Frosty Morning is related to that random mishmosh on piano? :confused:

I've gotta agree with jb too. Why put something up on youtube that not only is painful to listen to but could be the ruin of many a speaker? :mad:

journeybear
Jun-24-2009, 3:23pm
apparently, she's here ... watching us - (m-waaa-ha-ha ...)

She is, of course, welcome here, and surely understands we mean well. She may well have learned all she needs to about this subject just from reading what's already been posted. ;)

I've gotta agree with jb too. Why put something up on youtube that not only is painful to listen to but could be the ruin of many a speaker?

Actually, the only thing that could have been ruined in this process is her microphone, or her recorder's input circuitry. The signal you hear on the video sounds louder than it is because it's distorted. That is, it's not actually loud, it just sounds loud (even though it surely maxed out her inputs when recording) and harsh. So if you're listening at the same volume level you had set for that Vivaldi concerto - look out! :disbelief: That's the point of bill's original warning. Leastways I think so; one can't always be 100% sure ... ;)

Charles E.
Jun-24-2009, 5:17pm
I just think it's great that young people are playing the mandolin, esp. young women.
Jaime if you are reading this thread welcome to the Cafe! It is a great resource for all things mando related.
Rock on girl.

Jaychay
Jun-25-2009, 11:45am
Is your refrigerator making music?

Sincerely,
Jaime

JEStanek
Jun-25-2009, 11:49am
It provides the droning backgorund but it sounds real ice to me. ;) Welcome Jaime!

Jamie

Charles E.
Jun-28-2009, 7:18pm
Is your refrigerator making music?

Sincerely,
Jaime

No but I do have Prince Albert in a can.