PDA

View Full Version : Silverangel distressed

kyken
Jun-19-2009, 11:12am
here is one of my distressed models from my shop today, it has an old violin look. I've been distressing mandolins since 1981 and really enjoy doing it. Many of the old masters of violinmaking did the same, seems not very many people wanted shiny new instruments then either.

kyken
Jun-19-2009, 11:16am
oops, and here are the pics..............

kyken
Jun-19-2009, 11:19am
and here are the rest..............

Skip Kelley
Jun-19-2009, 12:52pm
Ken, That is awesome! You sure have the antiquing down to perfection. It looks old. You always have such beautiful maple in your mandolins. Nice work as always!!

Kevin K
Jun-19-2009, 1:25pm
Nice.
What woods did you use?

300win
Jun-19-2009, 2:05pm
Very nice looking mandolins. I don't nor ever have liked the new shiney look. I even prefer a banjo's metal to have some dullness in it, but as far as I know on them it takes years of spilt beer, tobacco, and sweat to dull them down. Anyway beautiful mandolins. If it sounds like it looks it ought to be awesome.

kyken
Jun-19-2009, 2:58pm
I used an old piece of red spruce from Ted Davis that I founf in the loft of my old log cabin , I've had it since 1985. THe back is hard sugarmaple from a tree that we cut down a few years ago, I like the combination, the red spruce with a harder than normal back. It sounds awesome, even for a first day mandolin. The finish is oil varnish but very little of it, the less the better I think for good sound.

Scotti Adams
Jun-19-2009, 3:12pm
Looks very nice Ken.

chasray
Jun-19-2009, 3:48pm
That d11r photo is one of my favorites.

bobbyD
Jun-20-2009, 7:20pm
Wow...that's a beautiful mando!

bobbyD
Jun-20-2009, 9:00pm
I've got a serious case of MAS now. Thanks ALOT! Is this spoken for already? You've got me considering a motorcycle sale to have it!!:mandosmiley:

chip
Jun-20-2009, 9:14pm
Niceeeeee....can you make me a honey amber distressed A, varnish finish, gold waverlys, with a radiused finger board cheap?:grin:

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-20-2009, 11:37pm
That's a stunning looking instrument Ken. Over the past couple of years,i've really grown to love the 'distressed' look. If i was ever fortunate enough to be able to have a 'custom' Mandolin built,that's the way i'd go for sure, & i'd be just as careful not to scratch it as i would with any non-distressed instrument - wonderful craftsmanship,
Ivan

kyken
Jun-21-2009, 6:57am
Waverlies are up there, just have to add that to the mix. Varnish, no problem.

Mark Walker
Jun-24-2009, 9:39am
That d11r photo is one of my favorites.

D11R is indeed a perfect representation of 'distressed!' I like photos D1R through D12R nearly as well! :mandosmiley: