PDA

View Full Version : flamenco

Aug-14-2004, 4:17pm
i have a friend who is into brazillian guitar playing, we jam together and he's always showing me some new brazillian flamenco styled song, i really like that sound, and to my understanding the mandolin is sometimes used in that style of music, does anyone know of where i might get to check this out? its an avenue id really like to explore, along with slower styles as well, bessame mucho just wasnt enough.. hehehe

Aug-14-2004, 4:20pm
what a terrible pun...................

billkilpatrick
Aug-15-2004, 3:55pm
never heard of it but it sounds interesting. does it involve playing the mandolin with guitar-like flourishes and arpeggios - without a pick? something better suited to a charango, perhaps?

- bill

what pun?...

Eugene
Aug-15-2004, 4:56pm
I'm not sure what style you're after, lemonhilljohn. #I associate the word flamemco with a specific southern Spanish, gypsy style; traditionally, flamenco is not Brazilian and does not use mandolins. #There is a largely improvised Brazilian folk/jazz style called choro that is associated with a breed of mandolin called bandolim. #If curious, check out Jacob do Bandolim on Acoustic Disc Records (http://www.acousticdisc.com/). #Mandolins sometimes also appear in Spanish tuna music along with the banduria. #While there is not a proper, formalized flamenco mandolin discipline...yet, there is nothing to stop you from digesting all the flamenco you can and concocting something personal. #There has been some flamenco-like mandolin experimentation, but I can't claim much familiarity with what of that vein is out there; I'd bet somebody on this board can. #If you begin to explore mandolin and mandolin-like things (e.g., banduria and bandolim) associated with choro and tuna, I suspect you'll never lack for inspiration.

smilnJackB
Aug-15-2004, 6:32pm
I have 3 of those pink flamencos in my back yard. They seem to enjoy it when I sit out there and pick. Jack

billkilpatrick
Aug-15-2004, 6:58pm
i've heard about puns.
i won...
...der, is that the pun?
anyyouguys see a pun?
i'm looking for a pun...

billkilpatrick
Aug-15-2004, 9:58pm
pun-fun-done (sounds like something the hulk would say)

actually, lemonhilljohn, i'd be very interested to hear a sample of what you're talking about. is there something available in mp3 out there, somewhere...

i play a few andalusian things on my charango that i learned while playing the oud - which can sound very like flamenco. the charango is spanish in origin (small vihuela) and very much like the 5c. canary island timple which was introduced to the islands (according to one source) by miners brought in from n. africa.

the south american style of playing the charango is one thing (awfully "plinky-plink" at times, to me) but it's not the only way. if a flamenco style intensity could be produced from it - with a different tuning perhaps - it might be no bad thing.

it's an interesting idea.

sincerely - bill

Aug-15-2004, 10:21pm
the brazillian tunes ive been exposed to were just from a friend who has a bunch of books and interest in brazillian music and he strummed in such a way and the rythms reminded me of salsa dancing so i used the word flamenco, im not really familiar with that vein of music, however as we dive off topic, i am middle eastern and i also play the oud (turkish), but not flamenco style! #i think i may have even seen a brazillian mandolin book online somewhere....
thanks for the leads and stuff guys, ill post if i find something interesting. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

EDIT.............................
the pun....... besame (kissme) mucho wasnt enough... i need more..... ahem... cough... nudge nudge winky winky

and i play a turkish styled oud, but i am greek.

Eugene
Aug-16-2004, 5:19am
Oud, eh? You should also explore the Sephardic music of renaissance Spain. It can be quite flamenco-like with a strong mid-east flavor...and the oud is right at home there. There are a great many recordings of this stuff, but just a few I like are:

Ensemble Accentus. 1996. Sephardic Romances. Naxos, 8.553617.

Hesperion XX. 1999. Secular Music from Christian and Jewish Spain. Virgin Classics Ltd. 7243 5 61591 2 9.

Hesperion XXI (same band, sudden name change). 1999. Diaspora Sefardi: Romances & Musica Instrumental. Alia Vox, AV9809 A+B.

La Nef. 1992. Music for Joan the Mad: Spain 1479-1555. Dorian Discovery, DIS-80128.

mandroid
Aug-22-2004, 5:39pm
Radim Zenkl got a custom made 4 string ,cedar top , nylon strung flamenco mandolin as he calls it, nice tone , regueno RH playing style { downstrokes with fingernails om 3 fingers }
and other tones that arise when you put the pick back in your pocket.

yea , impeccable memory was the first to go. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Eugene
Aug-22-2004, 6:49pm
...regueno RH playing style { downstrokes with fingernails om 3 fingers }...
I think you mean rasgueado.

Bugs
Aug-23-2004, 5:48pm
Well I have a similar interest for this type of music for mandolin. #I just bought a cd called Villa-Lobos:Complete Music for Solo Guitar, featuring Norbert Kraft, on guitar. #It is excellent. #Maybe you could listen to it on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/exec....details (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004YYRQ/qid=1093305901/sr=ka-2/ref=pd_ka_2/104-9822414-7250351#product-details)
Track one is great. This price is a lot cheaper than what I paid!!
Emily #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Eugene
Aug-23-2004, 8:37pm
Of course, Villa-Lobos is formal "classical" music, some of which is composed in an effort to imitate Brazilian folk styles. Neil Gladd does play Villa-Lobos's marvelous Suite pour Chant et Violin on mandolin. The violin part is heavy on percussive pizzicati and translates very well on mandolin. It is truly remarkable to hear.

thistle3585
Aug-24-2004, 11:01am
I have been messing around with, what I consider, flamenco style songs. #I still am not sure of the difference between the different styles throughout Latin America, but there are several sites you can checkout and a few have mando tab. #I searched on the internet for brazilian music. #I have been working on Como Llora Una Estrella which the tab can be found at www.mandozine.com in the tabledit files.