PDA

View Full Version : A Jr vs A-1 (or other numbered A)

Mark Seale
Jun-12-2009, 11:55am
Do the A Jr's differ tonally from the other A models made during the same time period? Were they made to the same spec or did they vary graduations or bracing from the numbered A's? Any other differences besides the obvious cosmetics?

mandroid
Jun-12-2009, 2:00pm
No, wood varies from one instrument to another, even if they look darn near identical .

Brace is one short one transverse , cross grain, between the sound hole and the bridge site.

A0 {zero} adds the binding around the top, that binding does take some wear and tear on the edge

better than the softwood, spruce,

but fiddles/ violins never bind the corners and the 300 year old ones seem to hold a decent value..

:popcorn:

gw16
Jun-12-2009, 2:17pm
I believe the only difference from the old A models was cosmetic, but I could be wrong. I've found a huge variance in the tone of the instruments but I believe that is just due to the individual instruments. I definitely do not believe an A4 sounds better than an A by any means. To be honest the best sounding oval sound hole I've ever heard was an A Jr. It was incredible and the owner knew it. I offered him probably triple the value for it and he laughed and thanked me for making him smile... I play a 1918 A and was offered a straight trade for an A3 once and I wouldn't even consider it. Hope that helps.

barney 59
Jun-13-2009, 3:33pm
I have heard A-0's(jrs) that I thought maybe sounded best of all. I attributed that to the fact that they carried very little baggage. No bindings- no pearl and it seems as though they maybe didn't get as many layers of finish as the higher grade models. I haven't come across any myself where the lack of a truss rod made much difference-- an 80 year old mandolin with a straight neck is probably going to stay that way.