PDA

View Full Version : How's this Sigma at Elderly as an intro instrument?

mzurer
Jun-10-2009, 2:41pm
Anyone played one?

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-5308.htm

Am I just going to outgrow this very, very quickly even if I don't play every day?

Will it hold any resale value?

JEStanek
Jun-10-2009, 2:53pm
It will likely hold it's value unless you ding it up a bunch more... Plan on another 50-100 for a set up (I would ask them to do it and pay them so it arrives ready to play). Call them and ask them how well it intonates and if after a reasonable set up is performed if the action will be low and comfortable. Are you looking for an accoustic electric? They don't sound that great unplugged, in general, espescially at the less expensive models.

Jamie

MWM
Jun-10-2009, 3:34pm
For $225 you can buy a Kentucky KM-150 from Elderly. Price includes set up, solid woods and a guarantee. After playing everything in their store under $500 I bought one for my son. I believe the price includes free shipping too so it may total less than the Sigma.

allenhopkins
Jun-10-2009, 3:57pm
Since the word "solid" appears nowhere in the description, assume it's plywood. It's sold "as is" so you don't get Elderly's usual set-up. If you want a mandolin to learn on, the pickup is probably irrelevant; if you really want to play amplified, not a bad price for an acoustic-electric, but figuring in the set-up, not a super bargain either. Sigma instruments were decent, mostly Martin-clone guitars; this is the first mandolin I've seen in quite a while. I'd follow the advice above, get a mandolin like the Kentucky that at least has a solid top.

mzurer
Jun-10-2009, 4:21pm
Thanks all for the input!