PDA

View Full Version : Fado 101

Steve L
Aug-14-2004, 6:55am
Hi folks,

I find myself with an increasing curiosity about Portugese Fado music. Does anyone here have any recommendations for compilation cds where someone who knows nothing about this might get a good start?

Thanks,

mandocrucian
Aug-14-2004, 12:16pm
Amalia Rodrigues - The Art Of Amalia

For more current material, look for albums by Misia and Madredeus.

There is a 90 minute documentary on Amalia Rodrigues which has been getting intermittent airplay on WorldLinkTV (cable/satelillite).

There's some fado cutouts at Daedalus Books (http://www.daedalusbooks.com/).
(Haven't heard any of these or have this stuff myself).

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Armando Morais
Armando Morais, vocals, & others.
Label: Fados do Fado. # Format: CD. Label
Number: 17003. #Daedalus Item Code: 36678
List Price: $18.00 Sale Price: $6.98 You Save:$11.02

Filipe Duarte
Filipe Duarte, vocals, & others.
Number: 17004. #Daedalus Item Code: 36679
List Price: $18.00 Sale Price: $6.98 You Save: $11.02

Julieta Santos
Julieta Santos, vocals, & others.
Number: 17006. #Daedalus Item Code: 36681
List Price: $18.00 Sale Price: $6.98 You Save:$11.02

Maria de Fátima
Maria de Fátima, vocals, & others.
Number: 17016. #Daedalus Item Code: 36686
List Price: $18.00 Sale Price: $6.98 You Save: $11.02

Mariana Silva
Mariana Silva, vocals, & others.
Number: 17009. #Daedalus Item Code: 36684
List Price: $18.00 Sale Price: $6.98 You Save: $11.02</span>

NH

Steve L
Aug-14-2004, 2:49pm
Thank you, Niles. Looks like a good place to start.

Eric F.
Aug-14-2004, 3:48pm
I'll second Niles' recommendations. I like Madredeus' album O Paraiso best of theirs. The singer has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard. Also, Cristina Branco is worth checking out. She has a very nice album that came out a couple of years ago.

Bren
Aug-14-2004, 3:50pm
A friend recently gave me a Cd by a young, modern fado singer who goes by a single name, which I can't remember right now - can anyone think who it might be (I'm on the road and far from my CDs right now)? It tends toward the bland end of "world" music at times but has a lot of good stuff.
I saw a singer in Lisbon in 1978 who might have been Amalia Rodrigues, alas I can't remember either, but I was overwhelmed by the intensity of the singing and playing. I do remember saying at the time it was like a cros between Irish music and the Blues. The band, apart from a couple of guitars, consisted of all double-course instruments, even the bass, or bass mandolin? What a sound!

mandolinoman
Aug-16-2004, 4:36pm
Hi, Steve,

One of the Portuguese fado music CD that I strongly recommend is the website below. I, strongly, recommend the CD to all who love fados.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/carvalheira

It is really a great CD. #Of course, it is all guitar music, but very beautiful. #Besides the fado music, Amalia Rodrigues, Mariza, Misia, and Cristina Branco are one of the best fado singers.

Best friendly regards,

George

mandolinoman
Aug-17-2004, 3:37am
Again, hi, Steve,

I am sorry that I forgot to mention another CD with Portuguese guitar music. That is "Carlos Paredes - Guitarra Portuguesa". A lot of people like that CD. That is also a great CD to buy.

Best friendly regards,

George

Dolamon
Aug-17-2004, 4:30am
Cristina will be doing a series of select concerts in the US this autumn. #She (http://www.cristinabranco.com/)should be heard before seen ... the experience has overwhelmed single men in the audience.

Custódio Castelo (her husband) plays the Portuguese guitar in her group and ... well his style and sound is worth the price of admission. I already have my tickets - and three of her CD's.

To add to the supply of Fado CD's, there is a marvelous retrospective collection "Amalia Rodrigues & the History of Fado" available through a number of sources. This is a two CD issue with not only Amalia but Maria Emelia Ferreira, Madalene de Melo and other Singers / groups from the 30's and 40's. This music is absolutely amazing and even Brazilian relatives and friends were knocked out by the power and 'saudade' simplicity of it.

Outside of Portugal and Holland, this music isn't very well known or appreciated - even in Brazil - unfortunately.

Oddly - the agenda posted on the website doesn't list any US dates ... One date is known for sure, 9 October at the OTS in Chicago.

Martin Jonas
Aug-17-2004, 4:41am
A friend recently gave me a Cd by a young, modern fado singer who goes by a single name, which I can't remember right now - can anyone think who it might be (I'm on the road and far from my CDs right now)? It tends toward the bland end of "world" music at times but has a lot of good stuff.
That'll be Mariza. #She's visually very striking and very theatrical and has made a big splash (at least in the UK) in the last few years, including several appearances on BBC television. #I'm not very familiar with Fado, but I know a few people who are. #Their opinion on Mariza's merits vary widely and there seems to be no consensua on whether she's the best thing ever to have come out of Fado or the product of unmerited media hype. #This may well be a traditionalists-vs-modernists dispute of the type which periodically erupts in most traditional-based music forms.

Martin

krishna
Aug-17-2004, 2:12pm
Steve ,Have you found a fados guitar for sale? The Portugese don't seem to EVER want to sell them.I collect string instruments of all kinds and would be interested in finding one....But then (According to my creed) I'd have to get a bunch of cd's and learn it the proper way befor anything else... # #Nevermind...no time...Kerry

Jacob
Aug-17-2004, 8:23pm
Fernández Music (http://www.fernandezmusic.com/) in Irvine, California imports and sells Portuguese guitarras.

Dolamon
Aug-17-2004, 9:08pm
Good one Jacob, I couldn't find that site to post it. He also has a marvelous section on the Coimbra version ... tuning and even traditional fado melodies which are some of the standard tunes from virtually all the performers.

Steve L
Aug-18-2004, 8:19am
I am continuously amazed at the depth of knowledge and generosity of the musicians on this site. Thank you all.

mandolinoman
Aug-19-2004, 7:42am
I found out yesterday that Carlos Paredes passed away on July 23, 2004. He was 79 years old. #He was one of the greatest Portuguese guitar players.

How very sad that it is.

George