PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Tuner Recommendation?

Chris Keth
Jun-06-2009, 3:22pm
I have an intellitouch and don't like it very much. The clip is already wearing out and getting loose after only a couple of months. It never grabbed my mandolin headstock very well because, I think, it's made to grab thicker guitar headstocks. It also doesn't recognize the A strings very well. They often don't register at all or register as an E briefly and then jump around a lot.

In short, I need something better. Backlit is a must. I would like something small, accurate, and that works well on a mandolin.

Miked
Jun-06-2009, 3:51pm
I've got one of these:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/FT800.htm

A friend has one of these:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/TT501.htm

They almost look identical, but the TT-501 has a smoother motion.

Douglas McMullin
Jun-06-2009, 4:43pm
I have a Korg CA-30 that I use with a Peterson contact mic. It works very well. I also just ordered a Korg AW-2G clip on after trying a friends and loving it.

Jim Broyles
Jun-06-2009, 4:44pm
I've had most of them, starting with the Intellitouch, which I now never use. This one (http://www.amazon.com/Tune-Tech-TT-1000-Backlit-Chromatic/dp/B0012QB68Q) has been the best of the bunch. No rattles, clips in a good reading position, stays on the headstock and very accurate.

Soupy1957
Jun-06-2009, 4:53pm
Miked: Looks like they are less expensive if you buy them through amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Intelli-Chromatic-Musical-Instrument-Strings/dp/B000P97ZL8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1244325302&sr=8-4

My experience with the Intellitouch on the mando (I bought one) is that when I would tune to what Intellitouch said was the correct pitch, the tuning was not correct, and slightly off. I had to fine-tune by ear.

I realize of course that there is a difference between tuning the instrument and tuning it to itself (I forget the technical term for this), but anyway, I would hope (I'm due for a new one and am considering this Amazon.com one) that this other tuner might work a tad more accurately.

I'm curious about one thing that was said about the "TT-501" having "smoother motion." This is a digital readout, yes? So it's not like it has a sweeping mechanical hand. "Smoother" in what sense? (Not trying to be arguementative here........just wanting to learn).

By the way,...........I noted that the one in Amazon is not the same model, and so I can't speak to the quality or lack thereof, for the one in Amazon.com.

Phil Goodson
Jun-06-2009, 11:09pm
Soupy,

Go down the page & knock off another 3 bucks:
http://www.amazon.com/Tune-Tech-TT500-Backlit-Style/dp/B0012QB686/ref=pd_cp_MI_2

I just got a Korg-AW-2G. Seems to be a little more accurate than Intelli, at least seems so to me so far.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AW2G

NFI

onassis
Jun-06-2009, 11:13pm
I'll put in a plug for the Korg. I have the older model (not backlit), and the new AW-2 solves that problem. They also seem to have dropped considerably in price. They're small, clamp securely, are extremely accurate, and are easily read. The best clamp-on I've used so far.

Joel Spaulding
Jun-06-2009, 11:31pm
My 9 year-old niece gave me a Sabine Zoid Z-1000 (http://www.sabine.com/sabine-music-accessories/ZOID.htm) tuner and a pack of J-74s for Christmas (Thanks 'Kenz!!).

The backlighting is great, the display is very good and the tuning seems at least as good as some of the similarly priced Korgs I have owned. Like many of the clip-on tuners, it is a good idea to let each note decay so the needle returns to zero between notes. Sometimes the tuner will indicate that two strings in the same course are "perfectly" in tune but my ears will hear differently- I have checked on occasion with a DAW based tuner and my ears have (apparently) been correct. Usually just get one of the D strings in tune and adjust the remaining strings by ear, then a random check with the tuner after all has settled in.

This is a great little tuner but if you want close to perfect, a Peterson is the way to go- for about 8-10 times the price. ;)

Ivan Kelsall
Jun-06-2009, 11:32pm
Personally, i use these two items.The tuner is a 'dedicated' Violin / Mandolin tuner,but can be switched to a 'chromatic' tuner for other instruments. I've found that the ability to clip the tuner onto the bridge & to have a 'dedicated' read-out of just the G-D-A & E notes very accurate indeed,
Ivan ;)

Carolie
Jun-07-2009, 12:00am
I have a Gold Tone Chromatic bluegrass tuner and just love it:

http://www.goldtone.com/products/details/w/instrument/108/Chromatic-Bluegrass-Tuner

It's cheaper here:

http://www.playbetterbluegrass.com/gold_tone_bluegrass_3020_prd1.htm

It works well for mandolin, banjo, guitar, and anything else you want to tune.

Carolyn

Ray(T)
Jun-07-2009, 4:47am
I spent a small fortune on a Peterson virtual strobe a few years ago. Its great on guitar and even better on bass but worse than useless on mandolin. I then spent next to nothing on an intelli. That one works fine but it's response is slow and it rattles. Managed to find a Korg AW-2G yesterday (only just imported to the UK) and it does everything the the Intelli does but better; i.e. its better made, doesn't rattle and its much faster.
Ray

Soupy1957
Jun-07-2009, 5:25am
Carolie: I'll say this, only because you had indicated in another thread that you were a relative newcomer to the mandolin. (Obviously you may be a seasoned veteran on some other stringed instrument and I just don't know it, but anyway.....)

It would appear that your device of choice for tuning, is one of those types that you set on the table in front of your instrument, pluck the string, and wait to see the response of the tuner, is that correct?

If so, lemme offer you this thought..........the tuners that are mostly (with a couple of exceptions) being talked about in this thread, are tuners that clip on to your instrument, and are not restricted by ambient noise. They respond to the vibrations that the instrument/string make together, and offer you a gauge of where that string is in terms of proper tuning.

Unlike the unit that you have mentioned, which depends on being within an environment that has no competitive noises.

When you are in a setting (large crowd, or on a busy street for that matter), it is helpful to have a tuner that is not affected by ambient noise, and can hear what you can't, because of those ambient noises.

As a kid, I used to lift my instrument to my ear, and try and tune it that way, (the guitar........since I've only been on the mando for about 3 - 4 years), and had a fair amount of sucess, but I sure wish I had one of these vibration-response tuners back then!!

Douglas McMullin
Jun-07-2009, 6:46am
Soupy, I don't have the Gold Tone tuner, but it has a 1/4" input and I think it can be used with a clip on contact mic.

Ted Eschliman
Jun-07-2009, 6:59am
New Intellitouch Mini being introduced this summer. I'm getting a sample from the designer (who happens to be a professional bass player and phenominal mandolinist, by the way) this week. Looking foward to bringing a report. From preliminary info: "The new Intellitouch® PT10 'Mini' tuner challenges the boundaries for small size and a large, easy-to-read backlit display. The multicolor backlight that makes tuning easier than ever by showing red when out of tune and green when in tune. The Retail Price of $39.95 (street price much less) and OnBoard Research's phenomenal Lifetime Warranty will satisfy the most cost conscious musicians."
Small, Compact Size
Large, Easy-To-Read
Multicolor Backlight
Needle Style Pitch Indicator
Calibration From 430Hz To 450Hz
Elegantly Simple Controls
Aggressive Price
OnBoard Research's Lifetime Warranty.

mandroid
Jun-07-2009, 11:06am
Folks with a built in pickup can use a pedal-on the floor tuner, Boss seems pretty rugged,
and in common use by players on the road a lot.

if you have one of those clip on tuner pickups like the one pictured in #9 ,

that will work, too , :cool:

the clip will survive regularly falling to the floor better than the clip-on tuner.

:popcorn:

gregjones
Jun-07-2009, 1:20pm
I have a half dozen different tuners, all recommended at some point in time by satisfied users on the forum.

I keep the Sabine MT-9000 with me in the truck. It works great with a Peterson TP-2 pick up and has a metronome. It's available for under $25, including shipping, with some careful eBay or Amazon browsing.

I have Peterson's StroboSoft 2.0 on the laptop and it tunes every mando I've used with it closer that anything else I've tried. I have the standard version, I think all of the advanced features are geared to the electro-guitar world.

Skip Kelley
Jun-07-2009, 2:40pm
I got this tuner from IV. It is cheap, small and it works great.
http://www.internationalviolin.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=6034

ApK
Jun-09-2009, 9:09am
New Intellitouch Mini being introduced this summer.

I just heard about this from the designer in a post on folkjam.org.
I can't wait to get one of these. I've been very happy with my original Intellitouch for guitar, and OBR's quality and service has always impressed me, but newer, smaller, tuners have several features I like.
If this PT10 works as advertised, it's as if they read my various forum messages and built a tuner to my exact specs. :-)

onassis
Jun-09-2009, 9:15am
I just heard about this from the designer in a post on folkjam.org.
I can't wait to get one of these. I've been very happy with my original Intellitouch for guitar, and OBR's quality and service has always impressed me, but newer, smaller, tuners have several features I like.
If this PT10 works as advertised, it's as if they read my various forum messages and built a tuner to my exact specs. :-)

I'd like to see one also. The size and awkwardness of the intellitouch has always been a turn-off for me.

Phil Sussman
Jun-09-2009, 9:11pm
After many years relying on tuning forks for my guitar, I got a Korg Chromatic Tuner, CA-30. In a quiet room it works ok for my acoustic instruments. (It also has a jack.) But the ambient noise (like the fire engine and ambulance sirens that are a constant in NYC) interfere with it. I was introduced to the clip-on tuners at the first jam session I went to, and I got an Intelli IMT-900 that I'm happy with so far. Good deals online. The tuner with the mic wouldn't be useful in a noisy pub with everyone trying to tune up.

John Flynn
Jun-09-2009, 9:56pm
I have a lot of tuners, but for the price I'm pretty much completely satisfied with the Intelli 500 for performance or jam tuning. I have two of them and may get a couple more. They are reliable, but they have a wide window for locking up on a note easily. That means they are accurate, but not precise, which is good for tuning on the fly. I also have a Seiko that is much more precise, it reads out in cents, but I only use it for setting intonation.

ApK
Jun-10-2009, 3:45pm
Hey, I finally made a notable contribution to the music industry!

http://www.folkjam.org/forum/topic/who-else-has-disposed-of-their-intellitouch-tuner#comment-1179

Hallmark498
Jun-10-2009, 4:13pm
Check into the Korg AW2 G

danb
Jun-10-2009, 4:56pm
These are pricey, but *very* accurate. I use an older intelli in jams.
http://www.turbo-tuner.com/images/wip/DSCN1366-200w.jpg

http://www.turbo-tuner.com/

GTG
Jun-10-2009, 5:00pm

http://www.folkjam.org/forum/topic/who-else-has-disposed-of-their-intellitouch-tuner#comment-1179

Nice work! I think I'll try to take advantage of this trade-in program too, if it happens.

ApK
Jun-10-2009, 5:12pm
It is happening now. Through the end of the year at least.
The address and details are in that thread, or you can email them at hello@tuners.com.

Personally, I'm probably not going to trade mine in, and I'll just buy a PT10 also when they're available at the street price. I like my older ones enough that they're worth more than the trade-in value to me.

But for people who tossed their Intellitouch in a drawer when the imports came out, I think it's a nice gesture on OBR's part. I'm pleased to be a part of it. :-)

ApK

foldedpath
Jun-10-2009, 5:33pm

http://www.turbo-tuner.com/

I just got one of those Sonic Research tuners for my S.O. and her fiddle. Her ancient Korg digital tuner died, and she doesn't like the display on my Peterson Stroboflip. I still like my Stroboflip a little better than this model... I think the display is easier to read, but it's probably just because I'm used to it by now. My S.O. loves the way she can "stop the circling" on the Sonic Research tuner while bowing a note and tuning. She uses the perfect 5ths temperament setting for her fiddle. The user interface for alternate temperaments is designed better on this model, compared to the Stroboflip where you have to do a little more paging to switch back and forth. It's a little smaller and more lightweight than the Stroboflip too... although the Stroboflip folds up and protects the buttons and display areas, which are exposed in this model. Probably not a big deal, if you always store it in a mandolin case pocket. At least the power button isn't that easy to turn on by accident. So far, the battery life seems pretty decent.

For me, all the little clip-on tuners are necessary evils for some situations. I do keep a Seiko in my mandolin case for times when I don't have time or room for the Stroboflip. But I'd much rather use these larger tuners with more sensitive displays when I can manage it, along with a clip-on transducer to reject ambient noise. When playing a gig, it doesn't take me any more time to quickly clip the transducer on the mandolin bridge and hit the Stroboflip's "on" button, than it would to fire up a mini tuner clipped on the headstock.

MattETR
Jun-10-2009, 5:54pm
As mentioned below, environment is everything and also a recognition that all electronic tuners have a margin of error to them - even the fantastically expensive Peterson Strobe has a -1/+1 margin of error.

For sessions/jams I use a Korg CA-30 which works fine (but then I can plug a lead in and tune directly otherwise it would be hopeless trying to tune whilst everyone else is playing). For gigs I use a Boss TU-2 stage tuner which despite having a -3/+3 margin of error is usually pretty accurate and also has the added advantage of acting as a signal killer if the instrument is feeding back during quiet sections when the rest of the band is playing and I'm not.

The poster below got it spot on though IMHO - the tuner will only ever get you close and you'll usually need to fine tune by ear.

Douglas McMullin
Jun-11-2009, 5:33am

I like the product description of this tuner. While I probably would not carry it with me, I would love something like this for home use. In addition to Danb or Folded path, can anyone else offer testimonials?

EDIT: Actually 15 minutes with Google and Youtube and I am sold. Ordering!

Bruce Evans
Jun-12-2009, 6:35am
New Intellitouch Mini being introduced this summer.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=43096&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1244375904

B#? :disbelief: For those Eaug chords, I suppose. :))

emitfo
Jun-12-2009, 6:49am
I can't say about the Planet Waves tuner but I have a StroboStomp that pretty much puts me in tune with the universe. I'm still trying to decide on a clip-on tuner since I like to travel light but I suppose it will be a downgrade almost no matter what. I gather that for accuracy the Korg AW-2 is what has received the most recommendations around here with a lot of people satisfied to very satisfied with their Intelli. I prefer to give my local music shop first dibs but nobody has one around here so I guess I'll have order off the internet. Someone had a Boss clip-on tuner and Boss is generally reliable but I've not been able to find any info about them.

I like the product description of this tuner. While I probably would not carry it with me, I would love something like this for home use. In addition to Danb or Folded path, can anyone else offer testimonials?

EDIT: Actually 15 minutes with Google and Youtube and I am sold. Ordering!

journeybear
Jun-12-2009, 9:54am
I just called the 800 number and it is definitely on. If you send them your old tuner plus $20 they will send you a new PT10 mini tuner. If you haven't seen these, they are very cool. The whole backlit area turns green when you get your string in tune. Very helpful, and cool. :cool:

These have a list price of $39.95 and the head honcho reckons the "street price" will likely be $29.95, so when you add your postage cost to that $20 you may not be saving much. But if you are so dissatisfied with your PT1 or PT2 that you aren't using it, this may well appeal to you.

Intellitouch Trade In Program
1321 Valwood Parkway, Suite 440
Carrollton, TX 75006
800-340-8890
hello@tuners.com

Thanks to our own ApK for suggesting this in the first place! :mandosmiley:

journeybear
Jun-12-2009, 10:07am
B#? :disbelief: For those Eaug chords, I suppose. :))

Man, if you don't know the dfference beween B# and C, I've got literally nothing to say! :))

I tune one of my low mandola stings to C and the other to B#. It creates this mysterous other-worldly ambience that people "feel" more than hear. :mandosmiley:

JeffD
Jun-12-2009, 10:11am

And you got recognized for it. Way to go!!!

I have made various suggestions to established companies (as have all of us), and in a couple of cases my idea or something very like it actually happened, I have never been acknowledged for it.

Right now I am trying to get Wendy's to put less salt on their fries.

:))

journeybear
Jun-12-2009, 10:25am
I got this tuner from IV. It is cheap, small and it works great.
http://www.internationalviolin.com/item_detail.aspx?ItemCode=6034

I've done a little looking around the interweb, and this company has the lowest price for these I've found so far, $16. Like the Intellitouch Mini, its backlight changes color. Also it operates on just one battery. I may go with this, if I can't get my old PT1 to work, as this is still less than the trade-in plus postage.

Well, now I see IV charges $8 for shipping. Just can't win. Just sayin' ... :whistling:

ApK
Jun-12-2009, 10:45am
JeffD, Yeah, it's kind of neat. I'm trying to figure to how to parley this moment of recognition into financial gain. :-)

journeybear, $8 shipping is a lot. At that price difference, I personally would spend the few extra bucks on the US company with proven customer service. I hope the PT10 turns out to be...you know...good.

ApK

M. Wilson
Jun-12-2009, 11:47am
Hi Everybody,

Even though you may have stopped using your Intellitouch PT1 or PT2, please consider trying the PT10 "Mini" tuner. And, ApK had a great idea that we immediatley adopted: You can use your PT1 or PT2 as a $20 trade in value against the $40 PT10 Mini. So, if you send us your PT1 or PT2 and $20, we will send you back a new PT10 the same day and we'll pay the shipping.

Then, we need observations, opinions and comments. We are trying to build and provide the best tuner available, and your comments and suggestions are invaluable to us. For instance, we adopted ApK's trade-in idea.

As usual, please don't hesitate to email me at mark@tuners.com or call us at 800-340-8890.

Thanks,
Mark Wilson

journeybear
Jun-12-2009, 12:08pm
journeybear, $8 shipping is a lot. At that price difference, I personally would spend the few extra bucks on the US company with proven customer service. I hope the PT10 turns out to be...you know...good.

That's pretty much how I see it, too. For about the same money, might as well stick with something I'm used to, and as you said, buy (or trade) American.

Pretty cool for the head honcho to ring in personally. :cool: Plus he's a picker. :mandosmiley: Now if only he were to drop the trade-in amount to $10 ... :disbelief: ... but then they'd be swamped. Yeah, best not to ask for trubble ... ;)

ApK
Jun-12-2009, 1:01pm
$10? Heck, I was hoping for an even trade. Guess I should have been more detailed in my suggestion. ;)

harmon
Jun-13-2009, 6:49pm
I have been using the new Planet Waves headstock tuner and have found it to be very accurate and fast however it is more expensive than the intelli or intellitouch but it is worth it.

dcc
Jun-15-2009, 8:54pm
$10? Heck, I was hoping for an even trade. Guess I should have been more detailed in my suggestion. ;)

yeah, i have to agree that an even trade (especially for a working PT1) seems to make more sense than lumping both the PT1 and PT2 together for the same trade-in deal. PT1's cost a fair bit more than PT2's. it doesn't seem like a good way to treat the purchasers of the "better" tuner since it makes the effective cost of a PT10 land around $70 ($50 for purchasing a PT1 +$20) plus shipping.

Douglas McMullin
Jun-15-2009, 8:59pm
I received my model ST-122 Turbo Tuner (http://www.turbo-tuner.com/st122-index.htm) by Sonic Research today, and it is nothing short of fantastic. So far I am just using the basic chromatic tuning functions to do basic mandolin and guitar tuning, and I also used it to adjust one of my mandolin bridges to get the intonation at the 12th fret spot on.

My instruments have never sounded so good! Like many people, I have the unfortunate curse of having an ear that is sensitive to slight tuning imperfections, but nowhere close to good enough pitch to correct them by ear. My other tuners do a quick and dirty job, but after messing with this tuner for a few hours I now realize how slow and relatively inaccurate they really are.

For me this unit is well worth the $130 and my only regret is not getting one sooner.

ApK
Jun-15-2009, 9:43pm
it doesn't seem like a good way to treat the purchasers of the "better" tuner

Odd way of looking at it. How much did Korg offer users of older models on a trade to the new models? How much did the makers of the Intelli offer IMT-500 users toward the IMT-900? Pretty sure it was $zero. And it was the same $zero no matter what older model you had.

I didn't honestly expect an even trade. I didn't really EXPECT them to offer anything.

ApK

Daci
Jun-16-2009, 9:31am
Check into the Korg AW2 G

I also have a Korg. It's an AT2 chromatic. It is over 20 years old and it still works.

Rob Gerety
Jun-16-2009, 9:20pm
Douglas does the Sonic Research tuner work with a mic or by detecting instrument vibration? Can you use it in a room full of musicians?

Douglas McMullin
Jun-17-2009, 4:57am
Rob, the tuner works equally well with the built in mic or clip on. I wasn't sure about the latter until I tested it, but I see no difference in performance using either method. This thing responds much more quickly than a regular inexpensive tuner and it is also much more sensitive. So far I have been surprised about in what sound conditions the tuner can still be used via the built in mic, and certainly sitting at home in relative quiet, I don't even think to use the clip on.

Last night for example I tried tuning while I was about six feet from my wife playing piano. The tuner was on a coffee table facing both instruments, and it had no trouble focusing on the closer source (my mandolin). The manual states that in really loud settings you may need to switch to manual mode because the auto note select may get confused.

Soupy1957
Jun-17-2009, 5:07am
I tried one Intellitouch a while back, and lost it........but it wasn't a bad loss.....it had so/so capabilities.

I figured I would try another one, to give them a second chance......ordered THIS one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012QB68Q/ref=ox_ya_os_product

hank
Jun-17-2009, 7:13am
After ordering a ST-122 yesterday I contacted their tech dept. for clip recommendations. This is their response.

Tech team, I just ordered one of your ST-122's and would like your suggestion for the best performing clip on pickup for it. I will primarily be tuning and adjusting intonation on a couple of F-5 mandolins with adjustable bridges but also doing some guitar and square neck resonator tuning. Thank you again for your time and consideration.

Henry,

You will most likely find that you do not need a clip on mic with the ST-122. It's proprietary circuitry allows it to focus in on the note being played while rejecting background noise. It will continue to operate in noisy environments long after other tuners have given up.

I have heard that the Korg CM-100 works well with the ST-200 (it has not built in mic) and it should work fine with the ST-122 as well. But be sure to try it without a clip on mic before bothering with one.

The display on the ST-122 is driven directly by the analog input from the built in mic or whatever is plugged into its input. In noisy environments the display will be more cluttered and complex looking than in a quiet room, but what you are looking for is the pattern generated by the musical note, and this is pretty easy to see once you have gotten used to the tuner.

After you have used the tuner for a couple days will you let me know how things worked out?

Regards,
Roger at Turbo Tuner Support
800-811-0272

ApK
Jun-17-2009, 8:03am
I tried one Intellitouch a while back, and lost it........but it wasn't a bad loss.....it had so/so capabilities.

I figured I would try another one, to give them a second chance......ordered THIS one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012QB68Q/ref=ox_ya_os_product

The tuner in that link is not an Intellitouch. :confused:

Soupy1957
Jun-17-2009, 8:23am
Apk.........yea, you're right.......I goofed........what I meant was that I was willing to try another tuner (not necessarily the Intellitouch), and give "tuners" a second chance. I've got a pretty good ear, and don't have TOO much trouble re-tuning in a "high noise" situation. (it's hard, but can be done).

I guess my wording wasn't the best in that posting.

hank
Jun-23-2009, 10:01am
Thank you Dan for your recommendation on the Sonic Research ST-122 Chromatic Strobe Tuner. I agree with Douglas this tuner is all that I had hoped for in a precision tuner.
After becoming confident in the tuners accuracy I decided to correct the intonation problem I've been living with with my Gibson Goldrush, Yellowbell. I'm still amazed at the amount of bridge travel it required, 5/32" aft travel. I've made all previous string changes one string at a time. I bought this mandolin new at Janet Davis Music and needless to say I am a little dissappointed with Casey (the signature on the tested and approved label) and Janet Davis Music for this kind of complacency. As happy as I am that I will no longer suffer through the grief of the past in tuning I am less than thrilled with the finish in front of the bridge. I guess I'll try to buff it out down the road.
Anyway not to turn this thread into a bashathon the ST-122 is well worth the $130.00 price and I highly recommended.