PDA

View Full Version : Cohen C#

Dfyngravity
Jun-05-2009, 4:32pm
Well, this may not be the first time you have seen this mandolin but I figured I would post at least a video anyways.

This was previously reviewed by Ted at Jazzmando http://jazzmando.com/cohen_c.shtml

The audio isn't all that great. But here it is:

sgarrity
Jun-05-2009, 4:37pm
Nice mandolin. I've had the pleasure of playing a handful of Dave's mandolins and have been to his shop. He makes a mighty fine instrument!! I also really enjoyed your pickin'!!

Dfyngravity
Jun-05-2009, 4:50pm
Thanks sgarrity. Dave makes some really awesome mandolins and is an awesome guy too. This mandolin is just fantastic, great chop, very clear, loud, rings forever, and is very light.

I had the pleasure of playing his Classical A with the slotted headstock, that was another mandolin that just blew me away.

Steve-o
Jun-05-2009, 6:23pm
Thanks sgarrity. Dave makes some really awesome mandolins and is an awesome guy too. This mandolin is just fantastic, great chop, very clear, loud, rings forever, and is very light.

Dfyngravity: You describe the mando and sound well. I fell in love with one of Dave's C# mandos at Elderly, but it was early in my mando development and I couldn't afford such a fine instrument at the time. I couldn't believe how light and loud it was. Very nice action too. Nice video. Thanks for sharing it.

Dfyngravity
Jun-06-2009, 7:10pm
Steve-o: I know exactly what you mean. I have owned several high end mandolins including a Red Diamond which I think sgarrity bought from me a year or so ago (#158) and this mandolin is the best of them all. The playability is just perfect and the tone is so sweet. The mandolin can handle anything from classical to hard driving bluegrass with ease. I play a lot of traditional tunes and classical music and couldn't even imagine a mandolin better than this one.

I will try to post some more videos and some pictures soon.

JEStanek
Jun-06-2009, 7:21pm
Wow. I've admired Dr. Cohen's work for a good while, this is the first time I've heard one. While the sound on this clip peaks out some you can hear at other times it's presence. Nice. Very nice. Nice playing too.

Jamie

Dfyngravity
Jun-06-2009, 7:32pm
Yeah, I am going to do a little audio adjusting this time and get everything right so the tone and true sound can be heard a lot better.

Chris Keth
Jun-06-2009, 8:03pm
Wow. I've admired Dr. Cohen's work for a good while, this is the first time I've heard one. While the sound on this clip peaks out some you can hear at other times it's presence. Nice. Very nice. Nice playing too.

Jamie

JaybirdNC posted this video in the bluegrass forum. One of the mando players is playing one of the same model and it sound great.

Dfyngravity
Jun-06-2009, 8:22pm
That's a great a video! Shows just how great the Cohen C# can be in a bluegrass setting....awesome!

sgarrity
Jun-06-2009, 9:15pm
That's Mr Dave O'Brien playing the Cohen in that video. I've had the pleasure of playing that one too and it's a good'n for sure!! I did buy your Red Diamond about 2.5 yrs ago. That was a mighty fine mandolin but the Cohen's I've played are certainly in the same league.

JEStanek
Jun-07-2009, 12:01pm
That pickin was so fine the sky cried. Thanks for the redirect. I don't often venture into the BG forum as it shows my ignorance ;).

Jamie

Chris Keth
Jun-07-2009, 3:16pm
That pickin was so fine the sky cried. Thanks for the redirect. I don't often venture into the BG forum as it shows my ignorance ;).

Jamie

Check out some of the other videos offered by that same user. He's been posting some great tunes recorded at various informal jams.

RHBoy
Jun-07-2009, 7:41pm
I have owned a Cohen C#, purchased at Elderly's, since 3/07. It is very nice. I am told it projects well and is loud. I play Bluegrass, Dawg, and a little Jethro. Mine is Engleman/Maple, but I also played a Walnut (i think) /maple C# that was cool also. I am very pleased with mine.
Jeff:mandosmiley:

Steve-o
Jun-07-2009, 10:13pm
Hi Jeff,
So you purchased one of the two C#s available at Elderly. The other one had a redwood top and a walnut crotch-wood back. I was smitten with it. Your's sounded great too. Glad to hear you like it and put it through its paces with BG, Dawg, and jazz.

fatt-dad
Jun-08-2009, 7:36am
I love Dave's mandolins.

Dave, if you're reading this thread, I still want your screw-back research mandolin when you are done with it! Funky box and it sounds great too! Right up my alley!

f-d

Dfyngravity
Jun-08-2009, 3:20pm
fatt-dad, that is definitely a cool mandolin isn't it. Dave has some really unique yet extremely thought out ideas that yield some incredible results...I guess that's what happens when you have the amount of research and understanding of the acoustics of a mandolin that Dave has.

Dfyngravity
Jun-17-2009, 2:03pm
Well here is a tune that I wrote about 2 years ago. It is still in progress and needs some fine tuning but I figured I would show off my Cohen C# a little bit more.

Hope you enjoy.

Spruce
Jun-17-2009, 6:32pm
Yeah, I am going to do a little audio adjusting this time and get everything right so the tone and true sound can be heard a lot better.

What gear are U using?
Maybe we can help you out...

Sounds like you are overloading your mic pre a bit...

And are there 2 mics? I hear phasing issues if "yes"...

Dfyngravity
Jun-17-2009, 7:34pm
I am using my macbook to record and do the video. I have done some videos before and everything was great, but recently the sound has been off.

Steve Cantrell
Jun-17-2009, 8:02pm
That's some fine picking and a great mandolin.

Bernie Daniel
Jun-17-2009, 8:06pm
That is a very sophisticated melody -- sounds awesome!

JonZ
Jul-18-2010, 1:01pm
I noticed on the Cohen website that Butch Baldisari is listed as a customer. Does anyone know of any audio or video clips of Butch playing his Cohen?

Bob DeVellis
Jul-18-2010, 1:24pm
Don't have any clips of Butch playing it, but I actually bought my Cohen from Butch. It's a very versatile instrument with many of the best features of both an f-hole and an oval-hole sound.