PDA

View Full Version : Can I show my new guitar here? :D

hendrix2
Jun-05-2009, 12:46pm
Hey Guys,

I know this is a mandolinboard, but I just had to show off my new toy!!! If it's not the appropriate place, I hope the moderators will throw this topic away :)

since a month I have my new guitar. My first archtop. It's a Godin 5th avenue (kingpin) and it's a wonderfull guitar. It's just so beautifull and sounds amazing!!! A real good deal for the price they are!

Here's a picture:
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs020.snc1/3047_71742481817_757856817_1742410_2225592_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs027.snc1/2576_60097181817_757856817_1671727_8070698_n.jpg

And here are some soundclips. The first is a bit of Django stuff while the guitar is plugged in. The second is unplugged (a bit to dark, I'm sorry). It sounds a bit thin at the moment, but that's because the light string gauge, I will put on some heavier strings next week.
Hope you enjoy it. (click on the images below)

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/kendrix2/th_DSCF7788.jpg (http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/kendrix2/?action=view&current=DSCF7788.flv)

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/kendrix2/th_DSCF7782.jpg (http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/kendrix2/?action=view&current=DSCF7782.flv)

MikeEdgerton
Jun-05-2009, 12:53pm
Amazing, I have been shopping these since yesterday. How does it sound and play?

OK, just listened to the sound clip. Is the bridge rosewood?

Stephen Lind
Jun-05-2009, 1:13pm
bet that would sound great with a mandolin
>we now have mando content<
Godin makes very good instruments at a very low price point

the burst is a bit off
though not bad at all
other than that, it's a very nice take on an early electric design that nobody else has thought of doing

John Rosett
Jun-05-2009, 1:19pm
Those are amazing guitars for the money. The local dealer has the acoustic and the electric versions. The acoustic had phosphor bronze strings and was too bright for my taste, but the electric had nickle strings and sounded just great both acoustic and electric.

Bill Snyder
Jun-05-2009, 1:24pm
Sounds good.

CES
Jun-05-2009, 1:32pm
Mike,

A local store has 3...played 2 which sounded darn good given the price point and seemed to be well built. One sounded a little dull to my ears, but a number of factors could have contributed to that, as you know...fit and finish was very good on all 3, and the neck profile felt pretty nice to me...I'm shopping (half heartedly) for a fingerpicker, though, and was able to pretty easily assuage my GAS. So, to sum up, I was overall impressed with their quality given the price but not blown away enough to leap right in, though I may yet :).

hendrix2
Jun-05-2009, 1:34pm
Amazing, I have been shopping these since yesterday. How does it sound and play?

OK, just listened to the sound clip. Is the bridge rosewood?

It plays amazing. I like very low action and with this guitar you can set it "really' low without getting any buzz. Plugged in it really sounds great. You get a well balanced tone. I've heard many archtops with just a bit to much mids in it, but the Godin is more balanced.

The bridge is actually some sort of plastic. I'm probably gonna replace it with a stewmac ebony or rosewood bridge. I think ebony or rosewood could really get the full potential out of the sound.

bet that would sound great with a mandolin
>we now have mando content<
Godin makes very good instruments at a very low price point

the burst is a bit off
though not bad at all
other than that, it's a very nice take on an early electric design that nobody else has thought of doing
I'm a Godin fan. In the background of the first vid. you can see my Simon and Patrick SP6 electro-acoustic, also made in the Godin factory and a fantastic guitar.
The burst is a matter of taste I guess, from the first time I saw it, I knew I had to have one in this Cherry Burst.

Those are amazing guitars for the money. The local dealer has the acoustic and the electric versions. The acoustic had phosphor bronze strings and was too bright for my taste, but the electric had nickle strings and sounded just great both acoustic and electric.

I had the same thoughts about the acoustic one. I prefered the electric because it's a pain in the *ss to amplify an acoustic archtop for a live gig, so I love that I just have to plug in (you can go amazingly loud without getting feedback!)

Thanks for the comments :)
Now I'll start saving money for my next instrument (probably a mandolin again). That's the story of my life so far... saving money, getting new instruments and back to saving money :D

John Rosett
Jun-05-2009, 1:45pm
I had the same thoughts about the acoustic one. I prefered the electric because it's a pain in the *ss to amplify an acoustic archtop for a live gig, so I love that I just have to plug in (you can go amazingly loud without getting feedback!)

That's good to know. I played it in the music store through a small amp, and it seemed so light that I thought that it would be really prone to feed back.
Even though these are priced really well, I just couldn't afford one, but a couple of weeks ago, I bought a Washburn HB-15, which is a full-sized archtop with a floating pickup off of craigslist for $100. It's not nearly as nice as the Godin, but I think after I throw out the original electronics and put a P-90 in the top, like the Godin, it might work just fine.

MikeEdgerton
Jun-05-2009, 1:53pm
OK, if I spring for one I'll just order a bridge and replace the nut with bone at the same time. Thanks for posting this, it made my day.

Dan Hoover
Jun-05-2009, 1:56pm
very nice..Godin's a great guitar,my brother use to have a strat...i've eye balling one in cognac burst at a store near me...no p-90's in it..great price..but i start thinking?should i up-grade to a classier mandolin? i'm torn..

ronalr
Jun-05-2009, 3:04pm
Sounds good.. and great playing by the way..I enjoyed that..
both plugged and unplugged

kristallyn
Jun-07-2009, 5:02am
hoi hendrix ( gitaarvrouwtje hier haha)

great guitar, a GODIN, goodness I can understand you are excited, I love it!!!!

hendrix2
Jun-07-2009, 9:01am
hoi hendrix ( gitaarvrouwtje hier haha)

great guitar, a GODIN, goodness I can understand you are excited, I love it!!!!

Sorry people, i'm gonna answer this in MY language :D

Dag Kris, ook de weg naar dit forum gevonden? Ik vermoed door je banjo? Dit is een heel relaxt forum waar ik erg graag rondhang (al heb ik hier heel wat minder posts dan op een ander forum, haha) er komen hier heel wat muzikanten van erg hoog niveau en toch blijft het altijd zeer gemoedelijk. Die Godin is echt fantastisch trouwens :) Tot nog eens, en hoop je nog eens op gitaarnet te zien ook :)

kristallyn
Jun-07-2009, 10:23am
sorry people,...I have to do this in dutch ,..but it s no bad language lol

hoi hoi neee niet door de banjo .
ik speel sinds kort ook mandoline heb een kentucky km 505 gekocht en vind het nog leuker dan banjo haha
ik kom niet zo graag meer op gitaarnet maar wie weet
liefs kris

sorry to all of you hendrix and I are old aquaintances from a dutch message bord, he didn t know I started playing the mandoline, though I ve know for some time he plays:)
that s in short what our dutch was about
kris

hendrix2
Jun-07-2009, 3:27pm
nice you started playing the mandolin! I guess I will see you around here, then. :)

kristallyn
Jun-08-2009, 3:15am
yes you will, I m currently working from a mel bay's book ( the complete mandolin method) and have ordered a mel bay book on bluegrass mandolin as that is the direction I d like to take.
am working on celtic tunes from standard notation sheet music for practise and I love every minute of it, it such a fun instrument. never knew how much fun it is, allthough when I saw you play it on your YTchannel some time ago, I thought..wow that s pretty cool

so yeah you ll be seeing me around here for sure
cya
kris