PDA

View Full Version : Greatful Dawg on Ovation last night

farmerjones
Jun-05-2009, 7:44am
Maybe they've played it before, but i got it DVRed last night!
Great long stretches of music, unlike many documentaries.
Sound bites from the likes of Ronnie McCoury and Vasser Clement. I mean, it just don't get no better.

Chuck the reality shows and the talent contests and just replay this over and over. So real. So much raw, pent up talent & creativity. Yet so laid back.

Went and dug out my Grisman/Garcia CD. Now i can see their faces when they laid this stuff down. Call it a Mandoshot-in-the-arm.

:mandosmiley:

Dan Hoover
Jun-05-2009, 8:24am
i missed it last night, ingmar bergman fest on another channel..would have watched it,again...seen it a couple times..really great,good stuff...i have 2 grisman/garcia cd's..shady grove and pizza tapes..i received a email from acoustic disc the other day,i just may order something from there..they're having a sale...really should have that..maybe record it next time..thanks for letting me know they're playing it

EdHanrahan
Jun-05-2009, 10:08am
A surprisingly good feature of the actual DVD is the option to play the "producers commentary" over the standard soundtrack. While I often find that fairly annoying (I guess, unless you REALLY need to study a movie) ...

The producer in this case is Garcia's daughter, who retreived much of the footage from storage, etc., so her commentary & childhood recollections are like getting a whole second documentary from a somewhat more personal viewpoint.

Maybe almost worth signing up for Netflix?

AlanN
Jun-05-2009, 10:33am
I have the DVD, and it certainly has its moments, and is great to see both of these guys jamming. But, it's boring and slow, at times. Far better is the Muleskinner DVD, from a pure musical performance standpoint.

YMMV (and I'm sure it does).

Larry S Sherman
Jun-05-2009, 10:47am
The producer in this case is Garcia's daughter, who retreived much of the footage from storage, etc., so her commentary & childhood recollections are like getting a whole second documentary from a somewhat more personal viewpoint.

Actually it was directed by Grisman's daughter, Gillian

More about Gillian (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0342601/)

Larry

Mandobar
Jun-05-2009, 11:00am
it's been on quite a bit since last fall. i remember watching it with my grandson (he was about 10 months old at the time). he really liked the tunes. he was bopping around in his play yard.