PDA

View Full Version : Mini Kimblefest...

barry
Jun-03-2009, 9:31pm
I had the pleasure of spending a few hours yesterday evening testdriving a great sampling of Will Kimble's work. Present were F5's number 39, 93, 132, and 153. A good time was had by all.

barry

Mandos from right to left are numbers 93, 153, 39, and 132

Chris Biorkman
Jun-03-2009, 10:16pm
Sounds fun.

SternART
Jun-03-2009, 10:38pm
Hey that is my old blacktop with the Gil tailpiece.......loudest mandolin I've ever owned.
So........add in the fact that you are from Atlanta & I'm thinkin' two of those must be from the Jeff Abram's collection.

barry
Jun-04-2009, 6:16am
"Hey that is my old blacktop with the Gil tailpiece.......loudest mandolin I've ever owned.
So........add in the fact that you are from Atlanta & I'm thinkin' two of those must be from the Jeff Abram's collection."

Authur Stern

You are correct. The two on the right are Jeff's. Also, I agree. Number 39 was the loudest of the bunch. Are you sure Will didn't build a hidden microphone in there? ;)

barry

Wesley
Jun-04-2009, 8:09am
Thanks - Now I have a new backdrop for my computer. I'm expecting an F-5 from Will sometime later this year. I'll be in Cumming and Roswell in August. And from what I've heard I should be able to hear that blacktop choping all the way from Atlanta.

JimRichter
Jun-04-2009, 8:37am
excellent

Life Is Good
Jun-04-2009, 9:10am
I noticed similarly with Poe #14 that it was an extremely loud mandolin, obviously craftsmanship has a lot to do with it but this furthers my suspicion that the block inlays add to volume. I also think that they add a metallic characteristic to the sound. What do you guys think?

SternART
Jun-04-2009, 9:38am
obviously craftsmanship has a lot to do with it but this furthers my suspicion that the block inlays add to volume. I also think that they add a metallic characteristic to the sound. What do you guys think?

Nah......:disbelief:
I'm more inclined to think the back wood is extremely hard, along with just the right piece of spruce & the combination of other factors in Will's alchemy kit all came togther. It was loud before Grisman played it at his 60th birthday party, but I guess you could add in that mojo too.......;)

Jeff A
Jun-04-2009, 10:00am
There was much drooling going on at Barry's Tuesday night. The blacktop was honkin' even with a seriously old set of strings. I have mainly been playing #132 which is about 9 months old and #39 had not been getting out of the case as much as it should.

The consistency of the build and the sound Will achieved in #93, #132, and #153 is amazing. When I was switching between those 3, I really didn't sense l a difference other than the fact that Barry's 2 had a little radius on the fretboard. Very cool seeing and hearing the 4 together. 3 peas in a pod and the blacktop. Hope to do it again soon