PDA

View Full Version : Spira O/M

Dolamon
Aug-12-2004, 1:41pm
This is version is a very short scale O/M by Jack Spira.

Dolamon
Aug-12-2004, 1:42pm
Wrong one - sorry - this is the front hopefully.

Dolamon
Aug-12-2004, 1:46pm
And that one ran away with the size ... sorry. This should be the whole back - neck.

Hoyt
Aug-12-2004, 1:48pm
Wow, what a beautiful instrument. What is the scale length on that baby.

Really nice. Hoyt

Dolamon
Aug-12-2004, 1:49pm
Another Monster photo. This was / is one of the hardest instruments to photograph due to the incredibly intricate grain and the satin matte finish. When the pix are small. everything is washed out ...

Dolamon
Aug-12-2004, 1:50pm
Thanks Hoyt - I'll post the specs on it in a few moments ... It has to be heard to be believed.

Dolamon
Aug-12-2004, 1:53pm
Jack Spira O/M

Front – Sitka Spruce - Some figure – very tight grain (Visible Arch)
Back / Sides Western Australian She Oak “Lace Grain” (VERY visible Arch - Tough to photograph.)
Neck – Queensland Maple
Bridge, Fretboard, Headstock Veneer – Straight Gidgee
Dimensions:
Length – 840mm – 33 inches
Scale – 535mm – 21.1 inches
Body Width – 322mm – 12 7/8 inches
Thickness – at Tail 95mm – 3 Ύ inches
At neck joint 73mm – 3 inches
Neck width: at nut 34mm or #1 5/16th #-
# #At 12th fret 43 mm or 1 11/16th
String width: at nut @30mm or 1 3/16th
At 12th fret 35mm or 1 7/16th

Finish – Satin Matte

Custom: asymmetrical neck cross section, Small oval hole. “Block” rosette inlays and top binding, Knot work on back.

jmkatcher
Aug-12-2004, 2:10pm
Gorgeous. That's a really neat bridge, too.

Dolamon
Aug-12-2004, 2:23pm
An apology - these pix are from the fourth camera I've used trying to capture this instrument. The satin finish and the multiple curved surfaces on the top and back make it almost impossible to hold it in focus. I don't have a long optical lens for either of my digital cameras so ... at this point I'm stuck posting oversize, fuzzy pix. Sorry ...

But the playability, HUGE sound and the soft, comfortable feel of this remarkable O/M really has to be experienced to be believed. The short scale and the pin bridge require much heavier strings than I would have thought (.050. .034. .024, .014p) and yet, you aren't aware that the strings are any heavier than a more common longer scale. just the sound is HUGE and delicate. It's the first one I've played or owned which you can finger pick (without picks) and be heard more than ten foot away.

Fun ...

steve V. johnson
Aug-12-2004, 7:20pm
You can stop worrying about the pix, they look fine! Of course, they don't look JUST like it does in the room, but that's the way 'tis... <GG>

Congrats, it's a lovely instrument! I like the headstock and I was surprised by the pin bridge! Cool!

Thanks for the pix and the specs!

stv

otterly2k
Aug-13-2004, 9:26am
Absolutely stunning! Now if only we could HEAR it!