PDA

View Full Version : Mink Case Lining

Randolph
May-28-2009, 1:56pm
My Significant Other recently inherited a mink jacket that was probably made sometime in the 1950's. The satin lining is badly worn, but the fur itself is in great condition. The SO doesn't want to wear it and its way too small for me (it doesn't go well with bib overalls anyway:grin:). Although it certainly feels very soft to the touch, I'm curious about using it to line a mandolin case. Anyone have thoughts about the combination of a lacquer finish and mink fur? Thanks.

MikeEdgerton
May-28-2009, 2:22pm
I would think it wouldn't the fur would interact with the laquer. Interesting question.

JEStanek
May-28-2009, 2:30pm
Wow. Talk about the Green Acres case! Mandolin and Mink linings... I don't know one way or the other if it would damage it but Mink! Wow. Possum I could see, groundhog even, but mink! Speechless.

Jamie

foldedpath
May-28-2009, 3:10pm
I drape a dead animal leather strap over the top of my mandolin every time it goes in the case, so I suppose this isn't much different in terms of risk to the finish. Old furs will often shed hairs, which wouldn't be a problem. But it can also smell funky, depending on how it's been stored. I'd be more worried about an odor transferring to the mandolin than anything else. Make sure it doesn't smell like anything you wouldn't want your mando to smell like, especially if you leave it stored in the case for long periods of time.

It won't look right without some bling on the outside of the case though. Maybe a crystal-encrusted handle, or jeweled fastener hardware? These guys (http://www.crystalroc.com/collection2009.html) can set you up. :grin:

Randolph
May-28-2009, 3:29pm
Thanks for the replys. I realize that it sounds a little odd to have a mink- lined mandolin case. However, in this case it seems a shame to just let the coat hang in a closet for another sixty years. I figured it would be a cool use of the fur, especially since the mink no longer need it and the coat won't get worn. I hadn't thought about funky smells, and it might be an idea to put the coat in a plastic bag for a week or so to concentrate any odors (although there is no noticable smell other than old fur that I can detect now). I imagine that after such a long time any chemicals used to preserve the pelt would have gassed off. One of my concerns is just how scratchy mink fur might be. I suppose I could wear it inside out against bare skin for a week or two as a test, but I'm afraid the neighbors might object. :) I have a C# from Mr. Bussmann arriving next month and somehow Mink and Old Wave seems a fitting combination.:grin:

boatman
May-28-2009, 3:38pm
I believe that one of the reasons that mink is so desirable as a fur is that it is so soft: I can't imagine that it would scratch a lacquer finish. A thought of an alternate use of the coat that might bring you unexpected dividends: the ultimate in sensual massage is attained with the masseur wearing a sable fur mitten. I expect that mink is close to sable on the softness scale, so......

Jim MacDaniel
May-28-2009, 3:43pm
If you go for it, just make sure you stay away from Niemen Marcus during December with that case -- it would be a shame if the anti-fur protesters from PETA who hang out there for the Christmas shopping season pelted it with red paint. ;)

delsbrother
May-28-2009, 4:26pm
Just sayin'. (http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2163/2906868131_66a9dddf93.jpg?v=0)

JEStanek
May-28-2009, 4:58pm
Dels, Nice!

Randolph, go for it. You gotta post a photo of the results though.

Jamie

MikeEdgerton
May-28-2009, 5:15pm
There are a few other things to worry about besides scratching it, oils that might be in the fur and their affect. I've never seen a discussion about this though. I'm sure one of the luthiers has had some experience with mink and instruments. I'll be disappointed if they haven't.

Chris Keth
May-28-2009, 5:26pm
I would personally not do it, just so I don't have to worry about moths eating my case lining.

JEStanek
May-28-2009, 5:38pm
Hey Mike, the mink oils might make the mandolin water proof. ;)

Jamie

mandroid
May-28-2009, 6:08pm
Mink Mittens , and maybe a hand warmer pocket lining in the Hooded sweatshirt..

allenhopkins
May-28-2009, 6:09pm
I'd make a strap out of the mink jacket, rather than a case lining. It would be a great conversation piece, and make you stand out at any jam you frequented. Watch out, though, if there are PETA members jamming with you; they don't take kindly to those who wear fur.

MikeEdgerton
May-28-2009, 9:03pm
I once had a mink covered yo-yo that I won in a yo-yo contest. That was back before anyone had any problem with anyone wearing fur. I was lucky enough to spend some time on a mink farm in Tillamook, Oregon when I was in high school. They were nasty little critters. I'd still line the case if it was mine. That would be pretty cool, and Jamie, you're right about water proofing that mandolin.

Randolph
May-28-2009, 10:19pm
Thanks to all of you. The jacket probably has enough fur to do three or four cases with enough scrap left to braid some straps as well. The back of the jacket is "book matched" and looks very much like a rich honey-brown, flamed mando back. I looked at the jacket again, more carefully, and except for some tears between shoulder and sleeve, the pelts are really in fine shape. I suppose I best take to someone who knows fur coats so that when the time comes it can be taken apart in such a way to maximize yield and minimize damage. I imagine any hope of busking, with an open case lined with mink, is out of the question.;) As this idea unfolds I will certainly keep you informed. And, if any one has experience with the combo of mink and mando, lynx and lacquer, please chime in.

barney 59
May-28-2009, 10:42pm
If you have noticed movie stars showing up for the Gala no longer wear furs. I think this is because of militant animal rights terrorists. I doubt that the fur will damage your instrument but I know a woman named "Sunshine" that would probably shove that case where the sun don't shine.

allenhopkins
May-28-2009, 10:57pm
Well, the minks that made the ultimate sacrifice to comprise that jacket expired a half-century ago, so no more harm (it that's your perspective) is done by recycling their pelts from jacket to mandolin case liner. I don't feel comfy killing small animals for purely ornamental reasons, but I eat cheeseburgers and wear leather shoes and it doesn't cause me a lot of angst. Others, I know, feel different, and many quite strongly.

barney 59
May-28-2009, 11:48pm
I have no problem with it myself. I'm an old varmint killer from way back -- a mink is a weasel and a weasel is a varmint. My dead chickens can attest to that! I was just pointing out a potential problem if one were to take it out in public --you might not want to busk in Berkeley. There is a train of thought that even if it was killed long ago using it now as something new is not o.k.- that it promotes the desire for others to have it etc.

steve V. johnson
May-29-2009, 1:07pm
You have enough fur to make a ZZTop-style 'jacket' for the mandolin!

You could even put in the panel on the back with the thing that works with the strap so that you could spin the mandolin around like they do!

I knew a gal who got a mink jacket from a guy she didn't really like. When the relationship was over she took the sleeves off and stuffed them, made couch pillows out of them.

stv

JeffD
May-29-2009, 2:41pm
I have a friend who did this (http://www.stadlerfurbears.com/) with her fur coat.

Although the strap idea sounds like fun. I'm just itching to have some PETA person say something to me.

lmartnla
May-29-2009, 3:33pm
My 1917 F4 has what looks like hair in the finish on the back. It could be from a mink-lined case, or maybe from something else... Still sounds great nevertheless.

JEStanek
May-29-2009, 5:57pm
...I imagine any hope of busking, with an open case lined with mink, is out of the question.;) ...

While I think recycling an old coat as a case liner is fine, I would seriously consider taking money out of a busker's case lined with mink... seriously. :) Not for any political reason, rather for the irony of it all.

Go with chipboard instead.

Jamie

delsbrother
May-29-2009, 6:19pm
Hey, here's an idea, could you sell the coat to someone for use... as a coat? I mean if it was once a nice one wouldn't someone pay money for it? Vs. cutting it up just as a gag. If it was made in the '50s there might be some vintage clothing shoppe that would be interested. Who knows, it may actually be worth something.. (Envisions someone taking an old Weissenborn and using it as a decorative planter because it was "just a beat up old guitar"...)

Bob A
May-29-2009, 6:45pm
Mink boxer shorts, the ideal winter underwear.

People will wonder why you're always smiling.

steve V. johnson
May-29-2009, 10:21pm
Bob A, you rock.

LMAO!!

stv

mandroid
May-30-2009, 12:49am
Mink hat with ear flaps would be great in those Minnesota winters , Florida , rather less important.